It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-17-2010   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road
Default jonesy getting a friend

my cat is now a year and a half, she is an indoor cat and recently have thought about getting her a friend. In the last few months both my daughter have moved out so i now have two spare rooms so i was thinking i could have a separate room to settle the new kitten into. Have just been to see a lovely male all black kitten and will be picking him up next sunday, but what i want to is what will the difference be in his behaviour, i have always had females so dont have much knowledge about male cats, but im really excited to find out!

ive obviously not uploaded the picture correctly but you can see him if you click on that photobucket videos heading

Last edited by AK49BWL; 10-18-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-18-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Post fixed.. Just use [img] [/img] tags around the picture link.

He is sooooo adorable!!!! Hope everything goes well!
Unread 10-18-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Aww...what a cute little black kitten! I love my black kitten, I'm so excited for you!

How old is he?

Let us know if you want any help with introductions or integrating.

One thing I suggest you do is install a screen door on the bedroom he is going to be in so he can see what's going on, won't be quite so isolated during his quarantine. Also, schedule a vet appointment first thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-18-2010   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

thanks brandon and gail, im bringing this little guy home on sunday when he will be just over 8 weeks old, think that a great idea about the screen door, will look into that, jonesy isnt the most socialble of cats so i want to do it gradually, he has been checked and wormed at the vet, but he will be going to my vet for a check up and to go on the waiting list for neutering, something i am concerned about though is the immunisations, none of my previous cats had the jabs and as they were housecats and they never picked up any of the diseases, and when jonesy got them she had terrible side effects, but if they advise me to get it i will, my poor wee cat was in agony after those jabs, and she was shaking all over, everytime i touched her she would cry, so if he has to have them i just hope that doesnt happen again it was horrible to watch. Do males exhibit different behaviour from females? and when do boys start to spray and sexually mature? not sure about these things, im so looking forward to bringing him home i just hope they do eventually get on! and i have never had a black cat, he is absolutely gorgeous, he was playing with his mum when i visited him, thanks for your help guys, jan

oh and gail i just noticed that you recently got a wee kitten, are there any pictures, did you have any problems integrating he/she? to the group,

Last edited by chooch; 10-18-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Unread 10-18-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Zipfelmuetze is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I've never had a female cat, but my male cat only needed 12 hours after his neuter to recover, then he was back to behaving normal. He was a bit tired after receiving vaccinations, but didn't have other side effects.

My male cat is very playful and curious, but will calm down and cuddle when he is tired. I got him at 4 months and now he is 7 months old.
He likes to play fetch and will go as far as jumping up on my desk to drop the toy in front of me if I am not paying attention enough.

I doubt personality is gender specific, every cat is different I'm sure. I've only had one though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zipfelmuetze For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-18-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch View Post
thanks brandon and gail, im bringing this little guy home on sunday when he will be just over 8 weeks old, think that a great idea about the screen door, will look into that, jonesy isnt the most socialble of cats so i want to do it gradually, he has been checked and wormed at the vet, but he will be going to my vet for a check up and to go on the waiting list for neutering, something i am concerned about though is the immunisations, none of my previous cats had the jabs and as they were housecats and they never picked up any of the diseases, and when jonesy got them she had terrible side effects, but if they advise me to get it i will, my poor wee cat was in agony after those jabs, and she was shaking all over, everytime i touched her she would cry, so if he has to have them i just hope that doesnt happen again it was horrible to watch. Do males exhibit different behaviour from females? and when do boys start to spray and sexually mature? not sure about these things, im so looking forward to bringing him home i just hope they do eventually get on! and i have never had a black cat, he is absolutely gorgeous, he was playing with his mum when i visited him, thanks for your help guys, jan

oh and gail i just noticed that you recently got a wee kitten, are there any pictures, did you have any problems integrating he/she? to the group,
I have no trouble with integrations, but I've been bringing in newbie's for many years, current cats don't seem to have trouble with the newbies.

I recommend you have your Jonesy immunized for the distemper vaccines and the rabies vaccines, unless you live in a country that doesn't have rabies of course, but do get Jonesy vaccinated against the distemper viruses before bringing in this kitten. And make sure the kitten has been tested for FeLV/FIV before bringing him home.

Those diseases are universal and while FIV is not really a danger to Jonesy (spread by deep bite wounds only), FeLV is easily spread and unless you have her vaccinated for FELV, she is at risk unless you know for sure the kitten does not have it.

There is a thread around here with some early days pictures of my baby Queen Eva, but I do need to post some updated ones.

There are lots of things you can do to help the introductions and intergration go smoothly. While the new baby is behind the door they can meet through the screen door (if you decide to do that, I love my screen door, it comes in handy in many ways)

You can exchange smells by rubbing a towel on Jonesy then on kitten, then on Jonesy and back and forth so, to exchange their smells. You can put this towel under Jonesy's food dishes so she associates the new kitten smell with good things. This also helps her smell HER smell and the kitten smell blended.

In fact better than a towel would be a shirt you have slept in, then ALL the smells will be blended for her.

We can help more once kitten is home and you start introductions.

I'm having internet trouble and may not be around much this week, mentioning that just in case it seems I have dropped out, I'll be thinking of you anyway.

PS here is Queen Eva's thread:

Say hello to Queen Eva!

She's so much bigger now I really do need to give her an updated thread!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 10-18-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Unread 10-18-2010   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

aw just seen your photos gail, your wee black kitten is beautiful, what a cracker, and she looks like one of the gang eh, hope my kitten and jonesy will be close like yours...
Unread 10-19-2010   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

jonesy has had all her vaccinations and boosters, and the kitten has been checked at the vet, so hopefully wont have any problems, been out today kitten shopping, got another activity centre so they have one each incase jonesy gets possesive about hers, also got a bed, blanket and kitten size litter tray, cant get a screendoor to fit at the moment, so im going to get a dog cage, and let them see each other for short intervals, so i can let jonesy see her without the danger of the wee one coming to any harm, just counting the days now!
Unread 10-19-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi Jan, the new kitten looks lovely, looking forward to hearing how he and Jonesy get on once he arrives have you thought of a name yet or are you waiting until you have him?

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx

Last edited by supersmithy; 10-19-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Unread 10-19-2010   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

hi there, (is it heidi?) well he has been named mikey so far, im thinking of just keeping that name, im so indecisive it would take me ages to figure one out for myself and its growing on me, never had a little boy before, im so exited!

Tags
adorable , anxiety , art , attack , aww , behaviour , bite , bites , black , black cat , black kitten , boy , calm , care , cat , cats , cute , eating , environment , eye , eyes , fast , female , fixed , friendly , game , girl , great , growling , growls , heat , hey , hissing , home , indoor , integrating , internet , jumping , kitten , lost , love , male , neutering , new kitten , newbie , passive , personality , picture , pictures , play , playing , problems , scared , shelter , shopping , sleeping , small , vet , videos

Sponsored Cat Links