It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-19-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Glencatman is on a distinguished road
Default Am I Spoiling My Cats?

I feed my cats dry food, but I give them about a tablespoon of soft cat food at least once a day. The problem is that the rest of the time whenever I go into the kitchen to get my own meals and snacks, they come into the kitchen and sit there and look up at me with that expectant look in their eyes, making me feel obligated to give them something and making me feel like a heel if I don't. What do I do? Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road

The vet advised me to give canned food only once a week so that my cat won't stop eating the dry food. And I stick to it, I feed him canned food just as a treat but only one can per week, usually on weekends.

I think dry food is best for them, at least that's what I was told. I've been a cat owner for 3 weeks only so that doesn't make me the most qualified person to give you advice on this. Just letting you know what the vet recommended.

But until now he hasn't begged for canned food or treats... he knows he has to eat his dry food hehe.

Sometimes when I'm cooking he looks at me also, especially when he likes the smell of whatever I'm cooking but I never give in and I don't feel guilty. I'm doing the best for him. It was the same when I had dogs and those are the true beggars, they always seem like starving and wanting more and more food or treats. But as I said I never give in or feel guilty. In my opinion I'm doing the right thing. Just my opinion and how I deal with it though...

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."

Last edited by Lu_Bloodmoon; 10-19-2010 at 05:08 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-19-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Glencatman is on a distinguished road

Thanks Lu....my cats would never get through a whole can of cat food during a weekend. They can only eat the canned stuff very sparingly, otherwise they'll puke it up. Maybe I could give them those small cans of gourmet food on the weekends.
Unread 10-19-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Lu you have been sadly misinformed, canned food is MUCH better for cats than dry food.

Dry food does not contain enough moisture, is too high in carbohydrates and is bad for their teeth.

As for the topic at hand, it's normal behavior for cats to follow you to the kitchen and give you Those Eyes as you prepare food.

I am clumsy in the kitchen and do not encourage this as someone could get hurt. As long as they sit by their individual meal spots I don't mind, but if they get underfoot I chase them out.

My cats aren't free fed. Their meals are scheduled so that they do get a serving right before I sit down to my own supper. After they eat they go off about their own business knowing begging will not get them anything.

If I am making something they are allowed to have, such as chicken, right before I eat I get the Treat Mat out, and get down on the floor and hand feed them a few bits of chicken.

Then I get up and eat my supper and no one bothers me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
advice , behavior , business , canned food , cat , cat food , cats , dry , dry food , eating , eyes , food , free , hey , hurt , mat , opinion , person , problem , small , stop , vet

Sponsored Cat Links