It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-23-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

eva026 is on a distinguished road
Default Our cat is soiling the flat, mewing incessantly and acting aggresive

Help!!

We are at the end of our tether.
Our 1.5 year old male cat cries non-stop to be let out. This isn't easy as we live on the 4th floor and can only take him for walks 1-2 a day. As soon as he comes in he starts to cry to be let out again and this can go on for hours. We can't leave him out all day, as something could happen to him and spending 5 hours a night walking him is not possible either.
On top of that, he relieves himself on our carpets, floors etc whenever we do something to displease him. It's like he is punishing us.
Recently he even bit my sister for no reason. he sees her often and she takes care of him when we are away - so he is used to having her around.

He has been neutered and this has not helped in any way. We took him to the vet to check if it's a health issue and he is 100% ok. The vet only said that he is a naughty cat and we should get him more toys. He has tons of things to play with, a 3 room flat to run around in and gets taken for a walk every day... what more can we do?

This can't go on, my husband wants to give him away

Could it be that some cats are simply not made for life in a flat and must have access to the outside world to be happy?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-23-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum!

How long ago was the neuter? It takes a few weeks for the hormones to leave the body.

Aside from the walk every day, how much time do you spend playing with him inside? All the toys in the world will not make up for one on one attention from you.

Set aside a time each day, say, after supper, or whenever, to devote a half hour completely to him. Play his favorite games with him, get him running and jumping and wear him out. If you do this at the same time every night he soon will know this is his time and expect it.

It can go a long way toward helping him feel settled and content.

Do you have a cat tree for him to climb and jump?

My second recommendation, in addition to the Interactive Game time is to install a couple of feliway plug in diffusers, this also will help him feel more content, less stressed, and less needing to mark.

All soiled areas need to be cleaned with a special enzymatic cleaner to remove the odor. Other wise he will continue to smell himself, and feel it is okay to go there.

How long have you lived in this apartment? I'm wondering if there were other cats there from the previous tenant. If there were, and especially if they soiled in the apartment, this could explain why your cat is feeling so territorial.

I know you said he has been to the vet, but I want to clarify, that if a urine sample of your boy has not been taken and cultured, you cannot rule out physical illness as a cause.

I wonder if stopping the walks all together, at least for now, might not be better. So to get him out of the habit of thinking about outside at all, is what I am thinking.

To answer your final question, yes there are cats who, for whatever reason, cannot learn to live inside. Most can, with patience and time. I hope you won't give up on him just yet, let's see if we can help him.

Can you tell us more about his history? How long has he been with you, and where did he come from before that, and as I asked earlier in this (long) message, when was he neutered?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-27-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

To answer your questions:

> How long ago was the neuter? It takes a few weeks for the hormones to
> leave the body.
>
He was neutered in January this year, so already 10 months ago..

> Aside from the walk every day, how much time do you spend playing with
> him inside? All the toys in the world will not make up for one on one
> attention from you.

We sometimes play with a laser, he runs like crazy after it, but when we try to use some toys (like for exampel a mouse on a string) , he is quickly bored. So in fact I don't really know what could be interesing to him, maybe I am not creative enough to invent some interactive games... But certainly he doesn't have enough of entertainment at home.

>
> Set aside a time each day, say, after supper, or whenever, to devote a
> half hour completely to him. Play his favorite games with him, get him
> running and jumping and wear him out. If you do this at the same time
> every night he soon will know this is his time and expect it.

Could I ask for a tip of such game?
>
> It can go a long way toward helping him feel settled and content.
>
> Do you have a cat tree for him to climb and jump?
>
We have a mini one with a scratching post and seat on top. Or Flat is not too big, so a larger one could be a problem.

> My second recommendation, in addition to the Interactive Game time is
> to install a couple of feliway plug in diffusers, this also will help
> him feel more content, less stressed, and less needing to mark.

I am not sure if I know what is it exaclty. Can I get this feilway in pet/vet stores?

> All soiled areas need to be cleaned with a special enzymatic cleaner
> to remove the odor. Other wise he will continue to smell himself, and
> feel it is okay to go there.

I do clean these places with a detergent that I normally use for cleaning baths or floors so I am not sure if it removes the odor totally.. Do I need some special one? also, he marks only with his poo and pees mainly in his toilet.
Btw, I read once an article on French website about cats, where it was written that the we should clean the soiled areas just with water so that the smell remains, otherwise the cat will be stressed that he doesnt smell himself and wil continue to mark!? it seems like a contradictory philiosphy..

>
> How long have you lived in this apartment? I'm wondering if there were
> other cats there from the previous tenant. If there were, and
> especially if they soiled in the apartment, this could explain why
> your cat is feeling so territorial.

Since 2 years and 2 months, I am sure there was no cat before us at least for a year. Kropek is with us since July 2009.

>
> I know you said he has been to the vet, but I want to clarify, that if
> a urine sample of your boy has not been taken and cultured, you cannot
> rule out physical illness as a cause.

The urine sample was not taken, they just gave him some medicines for parazites since his poo was not solid for a while.. It's actually strange thing with his poo cause once it's solid and other times it looks like diarrhea. He eats only dry food. So he got some medicines for this but it didn't help much.. The problem with lose excrements started when he came back from the cat hotel and started to go out, which was about 2 months ago.

>
> I wonder if stopping the walks all together, at least for now, might
> not be better. So to get him out of the habit of thinking about
> outside at all, is what I am thinking.

I am not sure if it is possible. He miaus so much in the evening that it's impossible to stand it. I even started to think that he has the genes of a street cat, becuase he started to explore the outside world just by himself, nobody showed him this before... He wanted this since he was 3 months old (when exploring our appartment was not enough) and in Septemeber we finally gave up..

>
> To answer your final question, yes there are cats who, for whatever
> reason, cannot learn to live inside. Most can, with patience and time.
> I hope you won't give up on him just yet, let's see if we can help
> him.
>
> Can you tell us more about his history? How long has he been with you,
> and where did he come from before that, and as I asked earlier in this
> (long) message, when was he neutered?

He has been with us since July 2009, he ws 6 weeks old when he arrived. We got him from tmy grandmma's appartment, he was never taken outside before coming to us. However his mother and father did go outside... He was neutered, as mentioned above, in January. When he arrived, my sister was living with us and she moved out when he was about 6 months old. She is the one who takes care of him when we are away. If she can't, we take him to a kitty hotel. It looks like he enjoys the place and when he comes home he is an angel for a few days - then is all starts again.
Marking, mewing and making everyone miserable.

THANK YOU !
Unread 11-27-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

You can buy Feliway plug in diffusers from vets and pet stores.
You will need a special cleaner. As Gail says, if he can smell his scent he will continue to use those places as his toilet. How many litter boxes do you have and how regularly do you empty them? If you only have one litter box getting another one may help. Some cats prefer one to pee in & one to poop in.
I'm afraid it's trial and error to find out what toys he will play with. I have two indoor cats and have bought lots of toys that have been ignored! Have you tried him with small balls (eg ping pong balls) he can bat about and chase? One of my cats loves scrunched up balls of foil. Another favourite is a bunch of feathers tied to an old shoe lace that I trail along the floor for them to chase. If he likes the laser pen play that game, shining it all over the floor and up doors and walls to encourage him to chase it.
Unread 11-28-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Breezy
nperine is on a distinguished road

Wow! Sounds like you have one frustrated kitty and two frustrated owners!

Highly likely that by taking your kitty out for a walk once or twice a day is like waving a carrot in front of the nose of a rabbit! (Old saying my daddy used to use!) He gets of whiff or a look at what's outside and he wants MORE!!!

Usually you would take a dog out for a walk .. but, a cat?? Do you have him on a leash? How do you take him for a walk?

He's getting a taste of the big world outside his inside home ... and HE LIKES IT. He wants more. He's probably thinking, "Let me go explore this big wonderful world"! Then he is taken inside again. He's frustrated because he's had a taste of what he may think of as freedom. Then he's inside all day and is likely bored, sits around thinking about how he really wants to get outside, see who/what is out there. Vicious circle.

You are frustrated thinking he needs/wants to be taken out more often .. but that's too time consuming. He's frustrated because you do take him outside in small spurts and he wants MORE.

I think in order for the three of you to live at all harmoniously, you will somehow have to stop the outside visits and work on getting him to be totally an "inside cat". Again .. that will take some patience and time.

Good suggestion from other forum members regarding playing with him at least a couple of times a day with "interactive toys". What are interactive toys? Ones that involve both you and the cat.

My Maui Boy absolutely loves Da Bird!! It's a bunch of feathers mounted on a long stick (quality made). You hang onto the stick, run all around the room, zig zagging this way and that, up and over couchs, the bed, chairs .. change patterns in the middle, fly Da Bird in the air, twirl it around. In other words, you can't sit on the couch and dangle it in front of your cat and expect him to get excited about it!

Maui goes crazy when we play with Da Bird. He runs, jumps up to four feet in the air, spins around, dashes after Da Bird. I always make sure I let him "catch Da Bird" and make a big deal out of it when he does. The kitty needs to claim his catch. Maui lies on top of Da Bird for just maybe a minute, and then lets go and we're up and at 'em again. It's actually fun for both of you .. but it does mean setting aside time, effort on your part. Act EXCITED about your play time together!

You can get Da Bird on the Internet. I think that may be the only place to get it. I got it through Amazon.com.

Da Bird is Maui Boy's most favorite interactive toy ever. I have to keep it closed up in a closet or he drags it all over the place. We play 2-3 times a day .. sometimes for 10 minutes at a time .. vigorously. All three of us (Maui, me and Da Bird) are worn out after each play.

Watch carefully to note when your cat starts to pant. That's how they perspire, but when they start to pant, it's time to take a rest. You can start play again after a short rest. Play with him and Da Bird 2-3 times a day (or more), if you can.

After a vigorous workout with me and Da Bird, Maui is very happy, worn out, relaxed and ready to curl up and either cuddle or take a nap.

I think getting your kitty Da Bird would help you all out so much. It's a complete time together for you and your kitty and a time he'll look forward to. If you put some effort into playing together, guaranteed your kitty will be one happy cat and worn out and relaxed afterwards. We never play on any particular schedule, but if I find Maui seems to be restless, wanting more attention, then I'll ask .. "Maui, do you want to play with Da Bird"? He runs to the closet door, meows .. and off we go.

Keep us posted!!
Unread 12-06-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Hi everyone!

We some stool samples to another vet to see if he has some bug.
We have also tried the two litter boxes and playing with him a long time every night with different toys.
So far so good....
Just hope it lasts.

Thanks for all your advice!
Unread 12-06-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the update. It's good to hear you are making progress. It sounds as if you are all much happier and relaxed.
I hope he gets the all clear from your vet.
Unread 12-07-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Breezy
nperine is on a distinguished road

Hi from Maui Boy's mom!!

So glad things are looking up at your home .. for all three of you!

Are you eliminating the walks out in the "big world"?? Hopefully, yes. If so, is he getting used to being an inside cat?

All cats WANT and USUALLY DEMAND attention! I don't think cats are smart enough to realize that "taking them for a walk outside" is a way of your giving them attention. Actually, it turns out to just FRUSTRATE THE CAT! And .. then also, because the cat is frustrated, he misbehaves, does naughty things inside, and then .... IT FRUSTRATES THE OWNER/OWNERS!

Think positive thoughts that things will keep getting better and better.

Keep us posted!!

Tags
addition , advice , apartment , boy , care , cat , cats , color , crazy , diarrhea , dry food , game , games , happy , health , hey , home , internet , jumping , kitty , laser , litter boxes , male , mouse , neuter , night , pee , pet , play , playing , poop , question , scratching , small , smart , smell , stop , territorial , toys , urine , vet

Sponsored Cat Links