It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-09-2010   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Hawki is on a distinguished road
Default New Multicat household..question

I just joined this forum (See Hi new guy in Meow) My wife and I have aquired 2 new kittys in the last 2 weeks. Callie is a year and a half old long haired Calico thats been in her new home for 2 weeks. Mistletoe is a year old dilute Calico shorthaired cutie that was brought home this past Saturday 12-4.
They are both females with Callie being the larger of the two.
They seem to be getting along OK but I think there is a problem...
It seems that Mistletoe spends most of her time in a bedroom on our 2nd floor while Callie seems to own the house so to speak. have never witnessed Mistletoe using the single litter box or really see her eating either the wet or dry food that is constantly available. Callie seems to be guarding the food area. Except for the occasional hiss growl moment they seem to be getting along/tolerating each other.
What Mistletoe is doing in the wee hours of the am is unknown...other than waking me by cuddling .
Being new to having a multicat household am I overreacting? Should I give it more time?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-09-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your two new family additions!

Mistletoe needs more time to adjust. Give her a litter box and feed her and water her in her chosen room for now. When she is ready to explore the rest of the house, she will.

Spend time with her in her room. Don't force contact, sit on the floor and talk to her and offer interactive Games such as rolling a ping pong ball or dragging a string on a stick. When she comes to you pet her calmly, but only for a few strokes until you know her limit of tolerance.

Use her name constantly.

You really ought to have three litter boxes for two cats, especially since Callie is acting territorial. One of the boxes should be in a different place than the others. (this is for when Mistletoe has fully integrated herself)

A feliway plug in diffuser can help reduce stress and territorial feelings.

Are they both spayed?.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 12-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-10-2010   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hawki is on a distinguished road

Dear acerlt,
Thank you for your advice, I will follow your advice with the litter boxs and food n water. Mistletoe is very loving and enjoys cuddling at night....she does occasionally explore downstairs... Callie is spayed and mistletoe will be spayed within the next 2 weeks or so. Since I've never had 2 cats in my houaehold I figured I was worrying too much and expecting kitty miracles, hoping they'd be bosom buddies in a week.
I MUST remember I am dealing with felines, logic and reason usually does not apply
Again thank you for the guidance.
Question, what is A feliway plug in diffuser ...and where can I get one?

Last edited by Hawki; 12-10-2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question

Tags
box , cats , dry , dry food , eating , family , food , games , growl , hey , hiss , home , house , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , loving , meow , new home , pet , problem , question , spayed , stress , territorial , water

Sponsored Cat Links