It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-16-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Miss_Pink is on a distinguished road
Default Cant get rid of cats fleas...

Hello, Im having trouble getting rid of my cats fleas.
The cat is 6 years old & Ive never had a flea problem before. But over the last 5 months I have been working away from home alot & not hoovering & the flea problem got out of hand to the point of I was coming in the house and I could see fleas and these lice looking things jumping on me and the furniture.

I fumigated every room with copious ammounts of fleakiller. The cat has had 2 doses of frontline which didnt work, feline flea spray, and a flea collar all to no avail he is still itching like mad.

Ive thrown my bed out aswell. How can I get this flea problem under control? Im so annoyed because Ive been working away from home, Im stressed and this is the last thing I need.

Any advice gratefully received
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-16-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum!

First question: where did you get the frontline? And is it frontline plus?

Don't put flea collars or any OTC flea products on your cat. They don't work and they can make kitty very sick. Put the cut up flea collar in your vacuum cleaner it may or may not help, but it is very bad for your cat, so take it off! .

Who is taking care of your cat if you are away from home? Offer to pay them a little extra to vacuum every day. Frontline Plus needs to be applied every 30 days to be effective.

You should buy the product from your vet. Frontline plus sells only to veterinarians, if you buy it anywhere else besides your vet there's no guarantee you are getting the real thing.

You want frontline plus rather than regular frontline, because frontline plus kills both eggs and adult fleas, regular frontline kills only adult fleas. This breaks the life cycle of the fleas, so eventually you don't have any more new ones, as long as you keep the cat treated.

You might ask your vet for a few capstar tablets to get a jump on things. Capstar kills all adult fleas on the cat in a 24 hour period. It can be used every 24 hours, but is not a long term solution of course, as it would get expensive. But you could use it for a couple of days to give the frontline plus time to work.

Your cat probably has tape worm and you will need a de-wormer called droncit for that. Fleas cause tapeworm in cats when the cat swallows a flea.

Does your cat go outside? If your cat goes outside I recommend you start using Revolution instead of frontline plus, simply because if she is outside hunting rodents she will not only have tapeworm, she will have hookworm and roundworms too.

Revolution doesn't kill ticks though, so if ticks are a problem where you live, stick with the Frontline Plus and use Drontal broad spectrum dewormer instead of droncit.

All of these products should come from your vet as they are prescription only products.

Some people recommend food grade dichotomous earth to sprinkle on carpets and furniture and in the yard. If you try this make sure it is food grade. Do some research on it first.

I feel for you, there is nothing more frustrating than a flea problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-16-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Hello, thankyou for the reply.
Ah I wasnt aware there were different kinds of Frontline. Ive been purchasing mine from Pet City. I used to get it from the chemist but Pet City was £8 cheaper so I started getting it from there. Pet City sell genuine products. I never looked to see what kind of Frontline I was getting so I'll have a look and see if Pet City have Frontline Plus tomorrow.

The cat is regularly wormed with Drontal as hes a prolific hunter so thats not a problem. He likes to lay in the long grass in the summer but I have no idea where these fleas are coming from as hes barely outside at the moment with the weather so cold. This is why I threw the bed and mattress out. I couldnt help thinking maybe one had jumped onto my mattress and laid eggs or something.

I spent £50 on sprays for the carpets, and last week a flea jumped off my jacket while I was at work, I was mortified! I just want to chuck everything away

The problem seemed to start when I stopped hoovering regularly and the heating has been on alot.
Unread 12-16-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Gail--those are great recommendations, but what about the fumigation in "copious amounts" Miss Pink did? I dont know much about it but isn't that dangerous for the cats?

Miss Pink--Did you keep the cats out of the room when you fumigated? By the way, I like your word "hoovering"; I never heard of that word before and it gave me a chuckle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 12-16-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Ive been purchasing mine from Pet City. I used to get it from the chemist but Pet City was £8 cheaper so I started getting it from there. Pet City sell genuine products. I never looked to see what kind of Frontline I was getting so I'll have a look and see if Pet City have Frontline Plus tomorrow.

Merial, the makers of Frontline Products, sell ONLY to practicing veterinarians.

Unless Pet City is a Veterinary clinic there is no guarantee that what you are using is truly a genuine product, and if you tried to make a complaint to Merial (since you say it does not seem to be working) the first thing they will ask is where did you purchase the product.

If you did not purchase it from a veterinary clinic, they will not guarantee their product. There is a very thriving 'underground' business in the flea prevention market. Bootleg and counterfeit product is common.

That £8 savings was eaten up in other things..powders and sprays and such that might not have been necessary if you get the product from your vet.

I've just been looking at the Merial website. I think you are not in the USA....UK? You can go to the website and choose your country and get some info. A quick glance makes me wonder if Frontline Plus is not available in certain countries, only Frontline spot-on, the regular formula.

I'm not sure though, I didn't spend a lot of time looking through it. Perhaps the prescription laws are different too, but flea products should still should be purchased from a vet to ensure you are getting the genuine product.

Merial.com

Aunt Kitty you make a good point about the fumigation, hopefully Miss Pink used every precaution and did not expose the cat to those harmful things. A lot of that OTC stuff is basically useless, toxic and useless, as Miss Pink is finding out.

In my opinion the best way to tackle a flea problem is to treat every pet in the house with a safe spot on flea product (species specific) purchased at the vet, every 30 days without fail. Preferably a product that kills both fleas and their eggs and larvae to break the life cycle.

Those are Revolution, Frontline Plus and Advantage. Be sure to use only a cat product on cats, the dog products, even made by the same company, often contain other ingredients that are not safe for cats.

Vacuum daily with a cut up flea collar in the vacuum bag (can use the strongest kind, since it will not be making contact with any animals) to kill any fleas that may hatch inside the vacuum. If you use a bagless vac, empty the canister after every vacuuming, in a bag, seal the bag and put it in the trash, outside.

please read this first
Unread 12-18-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Hello, thankyou for the reply. lol @ hoovering, I assume this isnt a UK website then? I didnt think to check

Re fumigation the cat was not in the house for obvious reasons so that goes without saying. I wasnt able to stay in the rooms myself, I really went to town on it. I had no idea until then that I was so squeamish about fleas and bugs.

Ive been to the vet now and spent another £40 on Front Line Combo and carpet spray that she assured me you couldnt buy in regular pet stores.
I have a new bed coming next week so Im going to do the whole house.

Im also going to get a friend to hoover the house while Im working away. I think I might get rid of the carpets alltogether soon and go laminate, that may deter the fleas.

Fingers crossed!
Unread 12-19-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi! Thanks for the update! This forum does not have any nationality, ,we have members from all over the world...though it's been very quiet lately. (I think we lost a lot of members to facebook. I don't do facebook, so..)

I love hearing other cultures' expressions. I've heard the term hoovering before so I didn't comment but I did smile at Aunt Kitty's comment.

Anyway I think having someone come in and hoover every day for a while is a great idea. And it gives someone else the chance to earn a little money. Just make sure they understand the importance of not letting the cats out.

hey, you know you might even be able to get a pet sitter to do it.

please read this first

Tags
adult , advice , age , annoyed , art , care , carpet , cat , cats , cold , collar , cut , fleas , food , frontline , fur , furniture , great , hey , home , house , jumping , kitty , lost , opinion , pet , problem , question , sick , vet

Sponsored Cat Links