It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-13-2011   #11 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Stressed
SiameseCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
I'm sorry for your loss of your beloved cat. All cats are exceptional and I know the devastation of losing them. And I know the feeling, once you have dealt with serious illness in a beloved pet, you never stop watching them like a hawk, and calling the vet at the slightest thing that causes you worry. I do, anyway.

I am sorry you found my comments offensive. I wasn't trying to be, but to not spay and neuter a male and female living in the same house is just asking for trouble. There is no reason to not spay and neuter both cats if they are healthy. I tend to be a skeptic about human nature and your hesitancy to alter the male, in my mind, makes it sound like you want to breed.

I am against all breeding, so felt the need to speak up about my concerns, that's all.

I realize it's the love of cats that motivated your comments. I can see myself replying to someone just the same way you did. There's nothing to apologize for. It's just still a really sore subject and will be for a long time.

Actually we did consider having one litter. But I'm also against adding to the number of cats out there. We would have done this only if we had been able to move to a bigger place and keep them all.

I'd never want to lessen the chances of cats waiting in shelters to be adopted. And I also wouldn't like to worry if our kittens had really found responsible new parents.

But since we're unable to accommodate any more cats all this isn't an option. We had the boy done a few weeks ago. He got really love-sick over night. He recovered well and he's also calmer now.

We'll have the girl done soon. But since there's no danger from the boy I'm not in a great hurry. She's so playful and I like seeing how she enjoys life. At least she can. But the moment her interests change we'll deal with it.

I know I'm more sentimental about these things than I was, but not at the expense of what's right.

I know what you mean by watching them like a hawk. I keep dreaming about her not being well. But there's always hope. If only. It's her photo as my avatar.
The young ones are lovely, but they can't fill the gap.

What can you do. As long as cat lovers understand each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
I'm sorry to hear your beloved cat passed away. I can understand your being super cautious about everything you do that is cat-related. I hope your two new cats bring you years and years of love.
Thanks for your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by get outa there sook View Post
The vet we take sook to recomened getting it done around 5-6 months {before her first cycle} and to getting her spayed would help with avoiding overian cancer and all. It took a week at most fo sook to be bck to her normal sef. But if you do get it don isuggest get one of the inflateable colars. It was more like a pillow then a collar.
We definitely will.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-13-2011   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your nice honest post and congrats on the boy's neuter!

Spaying won't change your little girl's personality. Queen Eva is just as mischievous and loving and delightful as she was before her spay.

Just remember that every heat cycle a female goes through increases her chances of pyometra, uterine cancer and breast cancer. Pyometra and uterine cancer risk will be zero after the spay of course but the breast cancer risk will remain.

I look forward to hearing more about your kitties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-17-2011   #13 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
dollydaft is on a distinguished road

Hi SiameseCat

Both our female cats, are very active, playful healthy housecats, we live near a busy road, that and every week there is a notice on the radio, in shop windows, and on other local forums about at least 1 or 2 new missing cats, in the area. Makes me glad ours have never been out, (except to go to vet, or to Aristocats cattery.) They are due to see vet again, on 7th Apr for their booster jabs.

Although our Lillian and Molly, are now just over a year old, they are small cats, (vet calls them dainty and petite, did ask it if that was an official medical term, lol)
Vet last saw them both in Dec 2010, because Molly had a wee fit, and vet said best to check them both.

Both cats are fine, vet thinks Molly's wee fit, is connected to the head injury she recieved at around 2 weeks old, (before they came to us.) Molly has not had another fit since, and the local cattery, that looks after our girls when we have to be away overnight, its a small family venture, run by the nicest couple, who spoil our girls almost as much as we do, Molly and Lillian seem happy to have their wee holidays, with uncle Robbie and auntie Heather, lol

Anyway both my girls were spayed on 14th april 2010, felt so guilty leaving them with the vet that day, when I left them there, I had a big lump in my throat.

However our kitty's, were fine, the snapshot was taken shortly after we got them home after the procedure.
And within a few days both were playing, normally. we were so worried they'd burst their stitches with the way they ran up and downstairs, attacked their toys and climbers, but they were alright.

They are very affectionate and love to be picked up and cuddled, visitors sit on a chair here at their own risk, because they are likely to have at least one purring cat on their knee within moments, lol.

You know your kitty, better than anyone SiameseCat, so you'll know when the time is right for spaying. x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Molly in front, Lillian at the back..jpg (93.2 KB, 3 views)
Unread 02-24-2011   #14 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Stressed
SiameseCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Thanks for your nice honest post and congrats on the boy's neuter!

Spaying won't change your little girl's personality. Queen Eva is just as mischievous and loving and delightful as she was before her spay.

Just remember that every heat cycle a female goes through increases her chances of pyometra, uterine cancer and breast cancer. Pyometra and uterine cancer risk will be zero after the spay of course but the breast cancer risk will remain.

I look forward to hearing more about your kitties.
Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. There's been so much going on.

Thanks again, there was never any doubt on whether or not to do the girl. For the moment we missed our window.

As it happens, she's been in heat since last Sunday evening. Everyone is positively deranged from listening to her and from lack of sleep. The older girl growls at her, the boy hides his face under my arm when he can to escape the noise.

The vet recommended giving her the pill for two weeks to stop the madness. Then she'll operate immediately after. She's had two tablets by now. We were told it should be taking effect by now. But no sign yet. Do you know what one might reasonably expect?

I'd like to post some photos of them, but have no photobucket account. Is there another way?

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollydaft View Post
Hi SiameseCat

Both our female cats, are very active, playful healthy housecats, we live near a busy road, that and every week there is a notice on the radio, in shop windows, and on other local forums about at least 1 or 2 new missing cats, in the area. Makes me glad ours have never been out, (except to go to vet, or to Aristocats cattery.) They are due to see vet again, on 7th Apr for their booster jabs.

Although our Lillian and Molly, are now just over a year old, they are small cats, (vet calls them dainty and petite, did ask it if that was an official medical term, lol)
Vet last saw them both in Dec 2010, because Molly had a wee fit, and vet said best to check them both.

Both cats are fine, vet thinks Molly's wee fit, is connected to the head injury she recieved at around 2 weeks old, (before they came to us.) Molly has not had another fit since, and the local cattery, that looks after our girls when we have to be away overnight, its a small family venture, run by the nicest couple, who spoil our girls almost as much as we do, Molly and Lillian seem happy to have their wee holidays, with uncle Robbie and auntie Heather, lol

Anyway both my girls were spayed on 14th april 2010, felt so guilty leaving them with the vet that day, when I left them there, I had a big lump in my throat.

However our kitty's, were fine, the snapshot was taken shortly after we got them home after the procedure.
And within a few days both were playing, normally. we were so worried they'd burst their stitches with the way they ran up and downstairs, attacked their toys and climbers, but they were alright.

They are very affectionate and love to be picked up and cuddled, visitors sit on a chair here at their own risk, because they are likely to have at least one purring cat on their knee within moments, lol.

You know your kitty, better than anyone SiameseCat, so you'll know when the time is right for spaying. x
It's good to hear it's all well and over for you and your kittens.

As for me knowing, ... see above post ...

Has anyone seen Pink Panther 2, the recent one? There's a scene near the beginning when John Cleese is banging his head against the wall. That's what I'm like at the moment.

But we'll get through it yet ...:

PS: April 7 will be one year since Luthien (see photo) left us. I just noticed the date in your post.

Last edited by SiameseCat; 02-24-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Unread 02-24-2011   #15 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The vet recommended giving her the pill for two weeks to stop the madness. Then she'll operate immediately after. She's had two tablets by now. We were told it should be taking effect by now. But no sign yet. Do you know what one might reasonably expect?
What kind of pill? There is no pill that will stop a cat's heat. What stops a cat's heat is pregnancy or spaying. If your vet sold you some pill to stop her heat you've been ripped off. Find another vet.

<edit> I was wrong about the contraceptive pill, but it is dangerous to use and I find your vet highlys suspect in prescribing it.

from my post in your other thread:

Cats can be spayed while in heat.

However I have now done some research on giving cats birth control pills

1) it is supposed to be used only for cats who are not healthy enough to be spayed as there are very serious side effects: long term use increases risks of diabetes, liver disease, mammary gland cancer and uterine disease.

2) as far as I can tell from reading it is only supposed to given once a week, and before a heat cycle starts

I would not trust a vet who prescribed something like this for a cat who needs to be spayed and is plenty healthy enough to withstand the surgery.

Just get her spayed, birth control pills are not the answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-24-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Tags
adopted , adult , age , aggressive , art , birth , boy , breeders , breeding , breeds , cat , cat in heat , cat lovers , cats , collar , crazy , friendly , girl , healthy , heat , hey , home , house , in heat , indoor , kitten , kittens , litter , male , medical , mistake , neuter , neutering , new cats , over night , pee , personality , play , playing , pregnant , shelter , siamese , small , smell , spay/neuter , spayed , stitches , surgery , vet , window

Sponsored Cat Links