It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Stressed
SiameseCat is on a distinguished road
Default Age for neutering?

I've been thinking about this for a while. Our boy Gandalf is 10 months old now. But there is no sign of spraying. Our girl Amy is almost 7 months old. He's only interested in her as a playmate. She's also very childish and playful. I'm a bit unsure, would she have to be in heat for him to get interested? Or might he just go ahead if he feels like it?

I'm reluctant to get her done as she's very small and delicate. It doesn't seem necessary yet. When we just got her, the vet said it's ok to leave Siamese girls for up to 18 months.
But I'm also afraid they might suddenly "discover each other" and we end up with even more cats. If she's in heat how much time do I have to react to prevent a disaster?

Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-21-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

If she's in heat now it's probably already too late. Does your vet know you have an intact male in the house also? Get her spayed, right now. There is no reason to wait, size of cat is not pertinent, if she is healthy.

The male also can be neutered at any time. You don't want to wait until he starts spraying, you'll likely never break the habit. I usually neuter the first time I smell tom cat pee, which is usually around 6 months old.

I don't know what your vet is thinking, your situation is an unwanted litter just waiting to happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-22-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for that. I'll still probably have the boy done first in that case.
I'm just a little concerned it might affect his personality. I've never brought up kittens before, always adopted adult cats. But from what I hear the procedure can dull down their personality a bit.
I've hear from breeders that sometimes when there's just one boy in a small territory, he doesn't always see the need to assert himself by spraying. We were hoping to just get the girl done and leave him.

I might have misquoted the vet by mistake. She probably wasn't referring to our specific setup (she knows them both). It might have been before we got them, just talking about maturity in some breeds.
I'll talk to her again.
Unread 12-22-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Neutering will NOT change his personality, where do people get that from? It's total crap, he is who he is, already. It may make him nicer, more cuddly but who wouldn't want that?

Neutering will certainly make him happier, if you intend to keep him inside, an indoor intact male cat will go crazy and turn mean.

Please do not leave the male un-neutered. Not only is the smell of tom cat pee disgusting, but it is irresponsible to leave an intact cat.

And not just because he will be out impregnating females. He will also be out fighting, getting bit up, and exposed to many diseases.

Just because your female will be spayed (and please, do it now, before she gets pregnant) does not mean other females will be, and he will be out impregnating every cat he can find.

This world does not need any more kittens. Please do the responsible thing and get both cats fixed, now. Right away, there is NO reason to wait any longer.

I hope you are not planning to breed these cats.

And if you doubt me, start volunteering at a shelter. It won't take you long to become pro spay and neuter once you see all the unwanted cats, and all the abused cats, that come through there. Be sure to take a turn in the euthanization room too. That's where most cats from "oops" litters end up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 12-22-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Unread 12-22-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Asleep
StuffAboutCats is on a distinguished road
Send a message via twitter to StuffAboutCats

I haven't read anywhere that size is an issue with fixing. It's usually age. We just got our kittens neutered and they were 18 weeks at the time. Both the girl and the boy - although they're indoor cats and if one is fixed, they can't have a litter, it's preferable to have them all fixed. The boy won't spray and be aggressive. The girl won't menstruate.

I understand you're worried because Amy doesn't seem like she would survive a surgery but she really will. Cats are awfully resilient.

The hardest part about fixing (in my experience) is keeping them apart, not letting them play, and using non-sandy litter. Clumping litter really helps with the stink!
Unread 12-24-2010   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I agree--get them both fixed. Even if the boy is an inside cat, he WILL slip past you when you open the door and he ILL get a cat pregnant. I don't know where people come up with that nonsense, but neutering will NOT have ANY negative side effects--only positive ones. Also, if your girl goes into heat it's too late--there's no window of time where you can separate them in time--it will be TOO LATE. Every vet seems to have different opinions about when to spay/neuter. My vet says that if they're helthy and weigh a certain amount, they can be done at 10 weeks. I know someone who just adopted a kitten who was just spayed at 8 weeks. The kitten was so tiny--I felt pretty bad for her, but it turned out fine.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-25-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks again, especially AuntKitty and StuffAboutCats. Yes, I feel rather bad for Amy, but she's healthy. So I just have to go with it.

As for the boy, I'm in no way irresponsible by letting him increase the cat population. And neither is he in any danger as none of them ever get out since we're in a high rise flat. Being Oriental and Siamese respectively, they're too friendly to be allowed out on their own and unable to handle the weather.

I know it was meant in the interest of cats in general, but I don't care for the implied accusation. I'm well-informed on the subject of pet shelters, thank you. I even maintain two websites about responsible cat care. I don't need convincing of anything that helps cats in general.

But one of our cats died some months ago. She was exceptional and while nothing will bring her back I'm making extra sure that I make no mistakes. She had a hereditary weakness, but if we'd known a little more she might have lived longer. Now I'm cautious with anything.
Unread 12-27-2010   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to hear your beloved cat passed away. I can understand your being super cautious about everything you do that is cat-related. I hope your two new cats bring you years and years of love.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-27-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiameseCat View Post
Thanks again, especially AuntKitty and StuffAboutCats. Yes, I feel rather bad for Amy, but she's healthy. So I just have to go with it.

As for the boy, I'm in no way irresponsible by letting him increase the cat population. And neither is he in any danger as none of them ever get out since we're in a high rise flat. Being Oriental and Siamese respectively, they're too friendly to be allowed out on their own and unable to handle the weather.

I know it was meant in the interest of cats in general, but I don't care for the implied accusation. I'm well-informed on the subject of pet shelters, thank you. I even maintain two websites about responsible cat care. I don't need convincing of anything that helps cats in general.

But one of our cats died some months ago. She was exceptional and while nothing will bring her back I'm making extra sure that I make no mistakes. She had a hereditary weakness, but if we'd known a little more she might have lived longer. Now I'm cautious with anything.
I'm sorry for your loss of your beloved cat. All cats are exceptional and I know the devastation of losing them. And I know the feeling, once you have dealt with serious illness in a beloved pet, you never stop watching them like a hawk, and calling the vet at the slightest thing that causes you worry. I do, anyway.

I am sorry you found my comments offensive. I wasn't trying to be, but to not spay and neuter a male and female living in the same house is just asking for trouble. There is no reason to not spay and neuter both cats if they are healthy. I tend to be a skeptic about human nature and your hesitancy to alter the male, in my mind, makes it sound like you want to breed.

I am against all breeding, so felt the need to speak up about my concerns, that's all.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 12-28-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Unread 01-02-2011   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cool
get outa there sook is on a distinguished road
Default Spaying/neutering

The vet we take sook to recomened getting it done around 5-6 months {before her first cycle} and to getting her spayed would help with avoiding overian cancer and all. It took a week at most fo sook to be bck to her normal sef. But if you do get it don isuggest get one of the inflateable colars. It was more like a pillow then a collar.

Tags
adopted , adult , age , aggressive , art , birth , boy , breeders , breeding , breeds , cat , cat in heat , cat lovers , cats , collar , crazy , friendly , girl , healthy , heat , hey , home , house , in heat , indoor , kitten , kittens , litter , male , medical , mistake , neuter , neutering , new cats , over night , pee , personality , play , playing , pregnant , shelter , siamese , small , smell , spay/neuter , spayed , stitches , surgery , vet , window

Sponsored Cat Links