It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-23-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sleepy
marleyandziggysmom is on a distinguished road
Default Help! MY CAT'S GO CRAZY EVERY MORNING AT 3-5AM

Please share advise! My cat's go crazy every morning between 3 & 5am and It's been effecting my sleep for too long. Both Ziggy (large maine coone) & Marley (small tabby) are about 3 years old, both males. I can't figure out the root of this crazy early morning fighting but nothing I'm doing to getting them to listen to me when I try to stop it so I can sleep. I recenly had to move & where I'm staying temporarily requires that I keep them locked in my bedroom at night which makes it impossible to sleep between 3 & 5 am. They are running, breaking things flying across the bed & running on mine & my boyfriends heads. Is caused alot of stess but I love them too much to give up on them. They did this at my old place too but I began closing them out of that room at night... Something I didnt want to have to do because I feel like its not a fair paly/fight with one cat being larger and more agressive & the other with no where to run. I think the smaller cat is running to me on the bed for protection from the larger cat. I have noticed that Ziggy doesnt let Marley eat out of their shared cat food bowl without Ziggy running up on him. Ziggy also attacks Marley as soon as he steps out of the covered litter box or when he's sleeping. I seams like Ziggy just wants to paly more than Marley? I need advise fast, we havent had a good night rest in I don't know how long. I don't get the significance of the time or why they run around like crazy at the same time every night/morning. It's 3am and Ziggy is starting now... HELP! Maybe Ziggy has behavior issues?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-23-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and Welcome to the forum!

First, I need some more information. Are both cats neutered?

After reading your post I can see some obvious problems, but if they are currently, temporarily, stuck in one room, there isn't too much you can do. How long are you going to be in your current situation?

As far as Ziggy dominating Marley, you need to add more litter boxes, and more food dishes. I know the extra litter boxes may not be practical while you are squeezed into such a small space, but you can add another food dish.

Does this room have any elevated spaces, for the cats to climb up high?

Since this early morning crazy is a normal pattern for them it will be difficult to change, though I understand why it is so awful, when you are all stuck in such a small space.

This is what I recommend. (First, if they are not neutered, that has to be done.)

Install a feliway plug in diffuser in the bedroom. This will help with stress and territorial feelings while they get used to the new place, and it may also help with Ziggy's dominating behavior over Marley.

At night, keep the curtains closed, and if possible block them from being able to look out the window, it may be something outside that stimulates them (though I realize you did say this is an on going pattern for them)

Before bed time, engage them in a vigorous interactive play session. Are they allowed in the rest of the house during the day? If so, do this play session where there is more room. Get them running and playing for as long as you can. Then, feed them a snack of something they really like.

You can also use some rescue remedy at night, this will help keep them calm. Just rub it on their faces before you go to bed, and again if they wake you in the middle of the night.

I'm not sure if they are playing or fighting at 3 a.m. it does sound more like playing, though Ziggy's need to dominate is a problem. The feliway plug in may help with that.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions and I will try to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-06-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

scytherz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleyandziggysmom View Post
Please share advise! My cat's go crazy every morning between 3 & 5am and It's been effecting my sleep for too long. Both Ziggy (large Maine Coon) & Marley (small tabby) are about 3 years old, both males. I can't figure out the root of this crazy early morning fighting but nothing I'm doing to getting them to listen to me when I try to stop it so I can sleep. I recently had to move & where I'm staying temporarily requires that I keep them locked in my bedroom at night which makes it impossible to sleep between 3 & 5 am. They are running, breaking things flying across the bed & running on mine & my boyfriends heads. Is caused a lot of stress but I love them too much to give up on them. They did this at my old place too but I began closing them out of that room at night... Something I didn't want to have to do because I feel like its not a fair play/fight with one cat being larger and more aggressive & the other with no where to run. I think the smaller cat is running to me on the bed for protection from the larger cat. I have noticed that Ziggy doesn't let Marley eat out of their shared cat food bowl without Ziggy running up on him. Ziggy also attacks Marley as soon as he steps out of the covered litter box or when he's sleeping. I seams like Ziggy just wants to play more than Marley? I need advise fast, we haven't had a good night rest in I don't know how long. I don't get the significance of the time or why they run around like crazy at the same time every night/morning. It's 3am and Ziggy is starting now... HELP! Maybe Ziggy has behavior issues?
We have the same problem before, My twin cats(ebony & Ivory) loves to play a lot during 12 am to 3 am, those were the times I rarely play with them because of college, but one time when I play with them, I made them run during the day, and probably they got tired and stopped playing and running in the midnight.. so my advice is when you have free time, play with them, especially the growing cats...

Tags
aggressive , agressive , behavior , behavior issues , box , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , crazy , fast , fighting , food , hey , house , litter , litter box , litter boxes , love , morning , night , play , playing , problems , rescue , sleep , sleeping , small , stop , tabby , territorial , window

Sponsored Cat Links