It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-29-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Scylla is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Scylla
Default Advice needed on getting a second cat

Hello everyone. I am needing a little advice on getting a second cat. I have had Scylla for going on 9 years now. I adopted her from the humane society when she was a kitten. She is like my child and is very spoiled. I have been considering getting a second cat in order to give her a little company while I am away at work but I am not sure if she would like me bringing a new cat/kitten into the home or if she is just as happy being alone during the day. I don't want it to change her personality and I really don't want to make her unhappy. I'm not sure what the right thing to do is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks! Jennifer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-30-2010   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

hi scllya, i have recently got a friend for my cat jonesy, i was a bit wary of introducing a new kitten to her as she has epilepsy, and jonesy is not the most sociable of cats, however after the initial few days of hissing and spitting they have became great friends and are really close, i only wish i have done it sooner, jonesy was only a year and a half when i got mikey so she is still quite playful, i noticed that your cat is nine, but if she is fit and healthy she will probably get a lot of pleasure from having a companion if you are out of the house a lot, good luck if you decide to go for it, jan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to chooch For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-30-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi Jennifer and welcome! I am all for multiple cat households!

What I suggest is that you start visiting your local shelter regularly to see who Chooses you. The cat will always Choose.

Given Scylla's age, you may want to adopt a cat past the rambunctious kitten stage, as a kitten will want to play with her all the time. A cat of a year or two will still be lively enough to spark some activity from the older girl, but perhaps not pester her as much.

Talk to the shelter staff and let them know your circumstances, the better they know you, the more they will be able to guide you toward kitties that will be right for your household, as of course you will want a cat who gets along with other cats.

I have one request, please please please do not separate two cats who are bonded. Especially two who came in together, but even a pair that has bonded in the shelter should not be separated.

In fact, it might even be easier for Scylla if you adopt a bonded pair, but then, if you are hoping she will bond with the newbie, maybe not.

We can help you with the integration procedure, too, I've integrated many cats over the years.

Welcome to the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-30-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

I went to the shelter today and visited with a cat that I had seen a few days ago and ended up adopting him. His picture is attached. He's two years old. He was actually shot 5 times. Once in the head, twice in the abdomen and twice in the back legs. You wouldn't know it by looking at him. He's very sweet and is a total lap cat. Did very well in the car and likes to be held. When I first brought him in I set him down in the carrier and Scylla hissed at him and ran back into the bedroom under the bed. It's been a few hours and Scylla just now came out from under the bed. I'm not sure how she is going to handle it once she realized the cat is here because I don't believe she knows yet. I put the new cat in the basement for now. I am going to call tomorrow for a vet apt. Any suggestions on making my cat happy about her new brother? I think after a few weeks if she does not adjust to her new pal he may have to go back but I really don't want to have to do that but I also don't want her to be unhappy in her own home. Cross your fingers for me. Also, the new cat came with the name "smelly cat" and there is no way I'm keeping that. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smelly Cat 12.30.10 (2).jpg (63.1 KB, 4 views)
Unread 12-30-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Congratulations!!!!!!

He will let you know his name in time. You should really not think in terms of "if this doesn't work out I've bringing him back" for a couple of reasons

First....always think positive. Think "We will make this work" don't even think about "if this doesn't work" It WILL work.

Second.....change is very difficult for cats and it can take more than a couple of weeks for Scylla, especially a cat who has been an only all her life, to adjust to the new boy. You've just got to give it some time.

But don't be fooled, she knows he's there

Do you have a room other than the basement where you can keep him? Ideally you want them to get to know about each other through a door.

It's good you are taking him to your own vet right away. Was he tested at the shelter for FeLV/FIV? Neutered already? Poor kitty to have such a rough time in his short life, how lucky he is to come home with you.

But here is how I recommend you proceed. Smell is everything to a cat. You want to exchange smells between the two cats so they can get used to scent first.

Rub a t-shirt you have worn on Scylla. Then rub it on the new boy. Then let Scylla smell it. Give her a favorite treat. Do this a couple of times the first day.

Next day do the scent exchange (use the same shirt), first Scylla, than the boy, then Scylla again, then the boy again. This time put the shirt under under her food dish at meal time.

Now Scylla has smelled the new cat, has smelled the new cat's scent blended with both your scent and her scent, and is associating the scent with good things (treats and food)

I recommend doing this scent exchange daily for a full week before attempting any face to face introductions.

Also, you want to give the new boy a chance to explore his new home in peace. At least once a day, put Scylla in the room you are keeping new boy in, and let him out into the house to explore for an hour or so. This also helps with scent exchange, and when you do the introductions, it won't be all so new to the boy.

Expect hissing and growling. It is normal behavior for new cats to hiss and growl at one another.

How many litter boxes did you start with? Add at least one new one. Two cats=at least three litter boxes.

Did the shelter send you home with the food he was eating there? Do food transition very gradually, and I do recommend you give a probiotic, sudden food changes can cause upset stomach and diarrhea in cats.

Well...this is getting long. We are here to help, don't hesitate to ask questions.

Oh hey, and if you can afford it, Feliway plug in diffusers can really help with stress and territorial feelings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-30-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

I've never heard of a Feliway Plug. I'll have to go get one tomorrow if I can find one at PetSmart. I have given both of them their own litter boxes. They didn't tell me what kind of food he was eating so I'm just giving him what I feed Scylla. He has been neutered and texted negative for FeLV/HIV. I added some pics of his X-rays. I can't see how anyone can do that to an animal. He doesn't seem to mind other cats at all. It's going to be Scylla getting use to him. Scylla is sitting at the door watching it. I'm not sure if it's cause she knows he's down there or cause the door is closed. She hates closed doors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Xray (1).jpg (71.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Xray (3).jpg (60.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Xray (4).jpg (47.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Xray (5).jpg (54.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Xray (6).jpg (60.6 KB, 2 views)
Unread 12-30-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

She knows.

please read this first
Unread 12-31-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello & welcome!
Follow Gail's advice and give Scylla time and patience to adjust and I am sure things are going to be fine.
My first cat Ripley was three when we introduced our second cat Newt. Ripley was my adored little princess and a change in my job meant she was home alone a lot more than she was used to so I decided to get her a friend. She was not at all impressed at first, there was a lot of growling, hissing and sulking but after things settled down we noticed that she was a lot happier now she had Newt to keep her company while her humans were out at work.
I remember thinking I would have to rehome Newt (this was in the first couple of days) but I was wrong, I am so glad I stuck things out. Newt has brought so much joy to all our lives.
Just take things day by day, with love and patience things will work out fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to hallan For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-31-2010   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi. I'm so glad you adopted a shelter cat who is beautiful by the way. I am a firm believer that a cat needs other cats around, especially if a person is working most of the day. People started an urban legend that cats are solitary creatures who do not like the company of other cats--that is NOT TRUE> I adopted two kittens last year, and recently adopted two 13-year-old shelter cats. I took Gail's advice regarding introducing them, and it is working out great--no more hissing and growling and swatting. I did everything she said. At first my resident cats camped out in front of my bedroom where I had my two new cats, and my resident cats just sat by the door hissing and growling. When I did the scent exchange, more hissing and growling. When they met face to face, even more hissing, growling, and swatting by my resident cats. But now they are living in harmony. They don't seem to be friends yet, but they are sniffing each other and sharing space with each other without any fighting. I bought two Feliway plug-in diffusers. I'm not sure if they helped or not. I think what REALLY helped was Gail's great advice

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:

Tags
adopt a cat , adopted , advice , age , art , behavior , boy , car , cat , cats , diarrhea , eating , food , friends , girl , great , growling , guide , happy , healthy , hey , hissing , home , house , kitten , kitty , new cat , new cats , new home , new kitten , newbie , personality , picture , play , shelter , smart , suggestions , transition , vet

Sponsored Cat Links