It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-20-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

artful is on a distinguished road
Question Second opinion wanted - cats eye!

Hello everyone - love the forum!

I'd like to get a second opinion about the eye of our cat; we have been to the Vet twice and while they said this will clear up on its own, her eye seems to be getting worse rather than better. I have attached a couple of photos, she is gorgeous of course but the eye is looking pretty bad - you have been warned!

She is a stay-inside cat so I don't think it's caused by something outside the house, the closest she gets to the great outdoors these days is a second-story balcony. We have one other cat, who may be the cause as they are not on friendly terms (after 10 years - you'd think they would learn to get along!)

Anyway the vet has prescribed two sets of medication now, which she has asked us to apply five minutes apart. We have done this for over a week and as I said it seems to not be improving. The last vet gave us a similar regime and it didn't work then either. The vet said there was a blister and did a tear test & some other procedures last time to make sure they were applying the right stuff but we're not sure...

Right now her prescribed medication is is "Neomycin & Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Ophthalmic Ointment USP" which she had been on the first time. After five minutes we have to put a drop of "Cyctosporine" (sp) which seems to be pretty serious stuff as the humans have to put on gloves before applying it?? The label for this has worn down too so I don't have more details on that second one.

Anyway my questions to this forum:

1) Have any of you had a similar prescription regime from the vet which has *worked* - are we just being impatient? (she has had this now for >6 weeks which we don't think is very fair)

2) Any idea what the problem with her eye actually is? Has anyone else had a cat with this & if so, what was the outcome / how long to heal?

Many thanks for any & all help

Artful
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eye-Help.jpg (55.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Eye-Help-02.jpg (65.0 KB, 4 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-21-2011   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

What a beautiful kitty!!! Is there any goopy stuff coming out of the eye? Did the vet say it was an illness like herpes of the eye, or did he/she think it was an injury fro being scratched by your other cat? I recently adopted two 13-year-old cats, and one of them started to have some thick greenish discharge out of one eye. The vet prescribed antibiotics. Also, I contacted the shelter where I adopted him. The person I spoke with told me that all the cats in the shelter get one capsule of lysine every day mixed in with their food. The lysine is supposed to be good for viral infections. Also vitamin C powder is also good for viral infections, but I would speak with you vet before administering anything to Kitty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-21-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry your cat is experiencing this.

First, often these kinds of infections require oral antibiotics along with ointments, and I don't understand why your vet has not prescribed them.

Secondly, and again, I don't understand what is wrong with this vet you've been seeing to not consider this, it's very likely she has the herpes virus. Antibiotics will not clear up the herpes virus. They take care of secondary infection, but the virus remains.

The only treatment for herpes is l-lysine. It is an amino acid supplement. It does not cure herpes, (there is no cure) it only controls it.

How old is your kitty?

What are you feeding them?

Has she been with you all her life?

Has she ever been tested for FeLV/FIV?

I recommend you find another vet, as it is obvious the vet you are seeing is clueless.

Please keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 02-22-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Busy
sonic's mom is on a distinguished road

I have had several cats over the years that I have fostered with eye problems. They have ranged from serious infections to ruptured eyes. It appears from looking at this photo that the problem has gone from bad to worse. The medications you mentioned can sometimes cause more irritation.

I agree that you should seek a second opinion right away.
The Following User Says Thank You to sonic's mom For This Useful Post:

Tags
adopted , antibiotics , beautiful , care , cat , cats , eye , eyes , fiv , food , friendly , great , hey , house , kitty , love , opinion , person , photos , problem , problems , shelter , story , test , vet

Sponsored Cat Links