It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-20-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

will77 is on a distinguished road
Question Best diet for my somewhat small cat?

Hi everyone. I've been wondering what you feed your cats and what is best for mine. I have a two year old long hair maine coon mix Sylvie that I adopted a month ago from a shelter. Sylvie had been getting purina dry food 1/4 cup twice a day from the shelter. I started her off on purina pro plan chicken and rice at 1/4 cup twice a day, although since about two weeks ago I've been introducing wet food into her diet. I was worried b/c she is somewhat small (especially for being part maine coon) at only around 7lbs, although she appears to be active and healthy, she is very boney in places (you can't really tell just by looking at her with all of that fur). I'm now free feeding her purina pro plan along with 1/2 can of natural balance, or nutro wet food. Is this a good diet? Should I be feeding her all wet food? What are some other good quality dry foods to feed her, after I run out of the pro plan?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-15-2011   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

pompett is on a distinguished road

helloo!

My lot like having dry food there all the time (purina too expensive so i use go cat) , I buy 3 or 4 different flavours and put down a little of each. I put down wet food which gets wolfed down fast... and to make sure no-one goes hungry I top up their diet with things like frozen packs of white fish, cook in microwave let it cool then flake it up.... or tinned fish which is really cheap. The ones in oil are good for their fur. They have left over PLAIN meat , nothing with any spices or garlic on though. They love their treats of cheese and have goats milk too. I dont give too much food , and each week they have a couple of days where crunchies are the only available food. If i do that then they dont get fussy and none gets wasted.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-28-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

ToledoCats is on a distinguished road

7 lbs isn't necessarily small for a mix of anything. Since 7 lbs is very normal for female cats, don't worry that she's part Maine Coon - she doubtfully picked up the large cat gene and resembles more of the other parents size.
You should be able to feel some bones, such as ribs and shoulders. They shouldn't have a very jagged or ridgid feel however. The easist way to determine if a cat's underweight through a thick coat is to feel their hip bones just above their butt. Ever so slightly padded is a good feel, if they're sharp, she's underweight.
As for the food...first off, Purina isn't a good food. It, along with other commercial brands, are very misleading. But they mostly comprise of byproducts and fillers - corn being at the top of the list. A truly good food is Wellness. You can buy this dry or wet, I prefer a combination (that way I can leave dry out all day for snacking). If you had to choose though, go with the wet. It most closely resembles a cat's natural diet and is much better for them. If she still needs help putting on weight, you can try A/D prescription wet food from your vet. Use this along with other food, as it's high calorie and doesn't contain the best ingredients. Regardless of how you do it, try to keep her weight under 9 lbs. It doesn't sound like she should weigh more than 8 or 9.

Tags
adopted , cat , cat's , cats , commercial , cool , diet , dry , dry food , fast , female , fish , food , free , fur , healthy , hey , love , maine coon , natural , needs help , shelter , small , vet , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links