It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-05-2011   #11 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Worried
Sugarsmom is on a distinguished road

The vet didn't ask about toxic substances but the only thing I could think of is maybe the few times she got in the garage she licked car fluids? She also ate some backyard grass on some occasions which gets weed control sprayed. What is FIP?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-05-2011   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarsmom View Post
The vet didn't ask about toxic substances but the only thing I could think of is maybe the few times she got in the garage she licked car fluids? She also ate some backyard grass on some occasions which gets weed control sprayed. What is FIP?
Either of those, car fluids, or weed killer, could kill your cat. I recommend you keep Sugar inside from now on, forever.

Have you received the results of the blood work yet?

FIP is a fatal disease that affects cats under 2 years of age and elderly cats. However now that I know she's been exposed to toxic chemicals I have a feeling kidney or liver failure is what is happening here.

Please keep us posted, how is she doing now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-05-2011   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Second Opinion Update

Well the new vet called today and all the blood work came in negative or in the normal range. The only thing of note was slightly elevated liver enzymes. The vet wants her back this week to take more blood for a full liver panel and a urine sample. I feel so bad for my baby having to go through it again. She gets really upset. The vet thinks that it might be IBD. Most everything else has now been ruled out including kidney or liver failure. I am putting her on Wysong anergen dry and wet food. It is for cats with allergies and its main ingredients are lamb and rice. I will try this for two weeks to see how she does on it. It's gotten really bad with her crying and not going to the bathroom all the time. We can't let her in the bedroom anymore because she will go in the bed. The vet thinks she could have a UTI also and I'm so mad at the last vet because I even brought him a urine sample and he never checked it. Now I have to try to get it again by her going in an empty litterbox or she will have to get it extracted at the vets. Not a good last few months but I'm hopeful. Thanks for the well wishes.

No FIP or liver/kidney failure thank god. The vet said they were ruled out. She is an inside only cat we are just really very vigilant now when we go into or out of the garage or front door. We don't want to add any new concerns and worries.Thanks for your input.
Unread 03-05-2011   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I'm so glad you brought her to the second vet. Honestly, the best way to get a urine sample from a cat is Cystocentesis, taking it directly from the bladder. The cat doesn't feel it at all, it's a very tiny needle. The cries are more from stress than pain, even when blood is being taken. I know you hate putting her through it.

Another option would be to leave her at the vet for a day, and they leave her in a kennel with the special litter and water, until she pees.

Either of those ways is the best way to get the purest sample.

The elevated liver enzymes were probably due to her weight loss. Fast weight loss in cats is very dangerous, especially to their liver. I'm glad she's not showing serious damage, and that the other blood work shows she hasn't ingested any toxins. Are you keeping Sugar inside now?

It's awful when you put your trust in someone who should know how to help our nearest and dearest, and they fumble so badly.

What do you mean by "she's not going to the bathroom all the time". Did you mean she's avoiding the litter box?

Does Sugar still have the bloody diarrhea too? Is she crying when she uses the litter box, do you mean? UTIs do hurt. Poor Sugar has had so much discomfort in the litter box what with all the diarrhea and possible UTI, she blames the box for all that so she avoids it.

Try buying her a couple of brand new boxes, and putting them in spots different from usual. Can you get some Cat Attract litter? That would help, too, changing the litter but with something that is meant to attract the cat. Could you afford a couple of feliway plug in diffusers? That would help too. Poor Sugar so young to be having these problems.

Is she eating? I hope she likes the Wysong. I have a friend with special dietary needs cats who feeds Wysong products.

By the way, there are pain medications available for cats. My vet always prescribes a couple of days of brupenex for Mazy, or the time Jennie had a UTI. If you think Sugar is in pain, by all means ask for something. She would only need a .5 ml dose, every 12 hours, just for a couple days, to help her recover.

Pain causes stress, and stress inhibits healing, because stress makes cats sick, you see how it goes in a circle.

To help her through tomorrow, until your vet is available again, do you have access to a pet supply store? If they are open on Sunday, maybe you could pick up some Rescue Remedy. That would help her relax a little. You can put it in her water or food, but really all you have to do is rub a a drop or two on her little face and ears.

I am not a vet. But I do have a lot of experience taking care of sick kitties, and my vet and I work very closely together for the health and well being of my cats.

<edit>

PS I love the name Sugar. Do you have pictures of her? Your album is empty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 03-05-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Unread 03-06-2011   #15 (permalink)
Newborn

Yes Sugar is and always will be an inside only cat. She snuck into some places a few times but we are now very diligent about it as to not add further worry and stress.

Sugar is avoiding the litterbox by going in our bed any chance she gets. If our bed is not available she will whine for a long time until we take her into the bathroom and she goes in the litterbox while looking at us plaintively. She has gone in our bed 4 times now even though I have cleaned everything thoroughly and sprayed the bed with urine gone. She is not allowed in the bedroom now. Do you know anyway to stop her from being interested in peeing in the bed?

Sugar has bloody stool off and on. She had one instance of stool with mucus in it. She does not cry as she is using the litterbox just most night and up to the point we get her by the litterbox. Not sure why she crys so much during the night now but our sleep has been greatly disturbed up to the point that my husband wants to get rid of Sugar. Up until a few weeks ago she would sleep in our bed with us at night and wait till we got up by sitting on my pillow or playing around the room. Now she sleeps in the living room in odd places like our poker table and cries off and on all night. We shut the door at night for the first time last night and her cries were a bit louder. I will get up in the middle of the night to take her to the litterbox and sometimes she would go for me. I just purchased a new litterbox so I will be transitioning her to that this week hopefully. I got a third one to try as well. I use the world's best cat litter which I like but I could try the cat attract. I just don't think it would work though. Sugar does not go for catnip and other typical cat attraction things. I never heard of the diffuser. What does that do?

Sugar is eating a bit and seems to not mind the wysong. I found it at whole foods and decided to give it a try. It seems like a good brand with carefully chosen ingredients.

I have some pain medicine from when Sugar had leg surgery. I didn't think to use it but I might start now. She was never a whiner with her broken leg or after surgery so she must be in pain.

Thanks for the tip on the rescue remedy. I have been eyeing it at the health food store but was not sure if I should use it with Sugar. I will try it for Tuesday since she now hates the vet's office and does not do to well there. It is so sad that she has gone so much to the vet since we found her in October.

Thanks for your advice and I have posted a bunch of pictures of Sugar. I will update again after her next appointment on Tuesday. The vet said she will check the blood and urine in house so I should have more to report. I agree though with the vet that it looks like IBD. Hopefully with a new diet and some short term medication my baby will be much better.
Unread 03-06-2011   #16 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Your husband is being a jerk. Where's his compassion? Tell him to wear ear plugs. You don't dump a cat when she's sick. You take care of her.

Please try the new litter boxes with Dr Elsey's Cat Attract litter. It's not cat nip, and I have heard many great success stories with this litter.

Feliway plug ins are a cat pheromone diffuser. They help not only with territorial issues but with stress. Cats usually feel more content and settled with a feliway going. I love Feliway plug in diffusers and plug one in any time there is going to be stressful times for my cats.

The best prices for them are at Amazon.com.

Let me know if the Rescue Remedy helps her.

She is avoiding the litter box because of unpleasant associations. She is probably using your bed because she associates the bed with safety and comfort, and you. She is communicating to you that she's sick and unhappy.

I think she cries during the night because she doesn't feel good and at night it's worse. You know how, when you're sick, the nights are the worst. You toss and turn and feel like you'll never feel well again.

Now that the door is going to be shut, it will be even more stress on her. I understand why she is being shut out of course, so the challenge is a way to make her feel more settled with the new arrangement.

I'm wondering if a more enclosed environment at night would make her more accepting of the new night time routine, and allow her to feel more secure, away from you.

What's your bathroom like? Could you put one of the new litter boxes in there, and make a nice warm bed for her, play a radio softly, and let that be her place at night, until she has recovered from her illness.

Line her bed with a shirt of yours, something you ahve slept in is best.

Make sure the bathroom is warm enough.

Be sure to give her plenty of attention before you put her to bed. If she's feeling well enough to play, play with her, but gently, groom her if that's what she wants, cuddle her.

Prepare a special kind of treat, something she really likes, and put it in her new bedroom (make sure she has water, too of course) after the bed time cuddles and play, and while she is enjoying it, close the door and go to bed yourselves.

<edit>PS just looked at your album. She's just precious. Her name couldn't be anything BUT Sugar. She looks like spun sugar.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 03-06-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Unread 03-09-2011   #17 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Update

Yeah he has his insensitive moments but back to sugar as I can only handle one baby at a time.
Sugar went to the vet today and got tested for a UTI from the sample I painstakingly collected. Turns out no UTI just lots of crystals that could be the cause of painful urination. Unfortunately, there is nothing to be done about crystals but to try to increase her water intake.
So nothing was found to be wrong with Sugar in any medical tests. If it is not IBD then were all stumped as to what else it could possibly be. The next step is to try to control her problem with diet for two weeks and see how she does.
The good news is she is now fully on the Wysong anergen food and eating like a champ. She went up to 6.3 pounds in the week she was on it! And no new poopy trouble since Thursday. The vet and I are thrilled.
I have tried rescue remedy the last few nights and almost no crying going on at all. I almost forgot what a good nights sleep felt like. I have been napping on the couch with her a lot since we don't let her in the master bedroom during the day. The door is cracked at night though because I can't take it even if she pees right on my sleeping body (well maybe then).
I have also bought cat attract litter which I will try tomorrow in her new litterbox. It was very reasonably priced but I want to go back to my worlds best cat litter after awhile because I really like that one best. This one is just to lure her back to the box.
I wish I could give her treats but I can only give her the Wysong food as a tester food. So that motivation is out the window. I did purchase the feliway diffuser but it has not come in yet. I don't want to look at my bills anytime soon!
Oh and as an FYI, petsmart takes all competitor coupons so I found one in an entertainment book that said 25% off and they gave me it off everything. So if you got any good coupons like this anywhere you can use them there. Most of you might know this already but I was pleasantly surprised.
Thanks again everyone for your help and support! It's been really hard with her sick and I appreciate your ideas. I'll hopefully have a Sugar feeling all better update soon.

Last edited by Sugarsmom; 03-09-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Unread 03-09-2011   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Who told you there isn't anything you can do about crystals? A vet?

Find another vet.

There is plenty to do about crystals! Crystals left untreated turn to stones. Stones have to be removed by surgery. Crystals left untreated can also cause kidney problems. It hurts to pee so much they hold the pee as long as possible. Very bad for the kidneys.

Crystals are sharp, and HURT. Every time she pees it probably feels like little razor blades passing through her urethra. It's no wonder she tries to pee on something soft like your bed.

First, the most important thing to know is what kind of crystals. Struvite or oxalate. This is very important because one forms when the pH is too low and the other when the pH is too high. This is done by urine culture

Cats with crystals in their urine need to be on a prescription diet, at least until the crystals are gone. Once the urine culture comes back clear, you can try switching her back to a commercial diet, but it needs to be an all canned diet.

Please, take her to another vet. One who will extract the urine from her bladder, send it to a lab for a culture, and get her on prescription food, and give her pain medication to help free her from the pain and suffering of peeing with a urine full of crystals.

No kind of special litter or behavior modification is going to help, until those crystals are gone. Sugar is in pain.

I have a cat with FLUTD, she forms crystals in her urine. She has to be on a prescription food all her life. I have tried a few times taking her off the prescription food and putting her on a high quality but commercial, canned diet. The crystals always come back.

Some cats just need to be on the prescription food all their lives. My Mazy is one.

please read this first
Unread 03-09-2011   #19 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Tired of bad vets

Thank god I came to this forum. With all the considerable amounts of money I spent at the vet, I should have just gave it to acerit instead. She has done more to help so far. I'm on my fourth vet and all of them were highly recommended. I have never been to a vet before I found Sugar and I feel that I have been through quite a bit with the ones I've seen. And poor Sugar has been in pain for almost two months now. Well, I made a new vet appointment tommorrow and I will just tell them what I want them to do from the last post. I don't know how a prescription diet will work if she has IBD as well. Something else has to be wrong with her besides crystals to make her feces this way. The Wysong was doing her good so I hope that an anti-crystal prescription diet will be ok too. I will return the cat attract litter but keep the destress items.
One question, should I give her the pain medicine I have from her leg surgery? I was not really wanting to since I didn't know if it was the right thing for her. What do you think?
A big thanks from Sugar.
Unread 03-09-2011   #20 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I forgot that the Wysong was helping with the IBD, but those crystals have to be controlled.

It just..stuns me that a vet would say there is nothing to be done about the crystals.

I'm going to send you a PM

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 03-09-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Tags
advice , age , allergy , another cat , antibiotics , art , baby , baking soda , behavior , bills , bladder , box , car , cat , cats , crazy , crying , diarrhea , diet , eating , elderly , eye , eyes , fast , fip , fiv , fixed , fleas , food , girl , groom , hey , hiding , home , hurt , ibd , infection , kennel , kitten , litter , litter box , love , medical , opinion , pee , pill , play , playing , problems , sick , sickness , sleep , sleeping , smart , surgery , test , type , uti , vet , weight , wet food , window , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links