It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-25-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Worried
Sugarsmom is on a distinguished road
Default Please help

My baby is sick. I rescued a kitten in October who is now around 8-9 months old. She had a broken hip bone that was operated on and fixed and shevwas neutered and given all her shots. She had no viruses, fleas, ticks, or illnesses. About 2 months into living with me I noticed she had developed an itch, a squinty left eye, and off and on loose stool. When I took her to the vet they said it might be a food allergy. A few weeks ago she had blood in her stool and wet the bed. The vet said that there was bacteria in her colon and gave me antibiotics. Right after the antibiotics were through, she went back to being sick with occasional blood in the stool and litter box avoidance. She cried all the time. When I took her back to the vet they gave her a shot of cortisone. The next three days I thought she would die. She was a completely different cat. She cried out in pain when we picked her up, wouldn't sleep in her bed, and had no energy or playfulness. She was only going poopy every other day and didn't eat. The doctor gave me hills science diet to only feed her and I had done that as well. Now she's getting some energy back but there is more blood in her stool. The vet says that the shot itself gave her a bad reaction not the cortisone and he wants to put her on that in pill form for the long term. I don't know what to do. She was so sick after the shot. I feel like I am really harming her. Please help with some advice if you can. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-25-2011   #2 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

Hi there...

Well, I'm no expert, but what I would do is take her for a second opinion... to me this vet sounds like they are just looking for quick ways out... As I know and understand from having 2 cats myself, blood in the stool is VERY bad and I think it is definitely worth a second opinion...

Keep us posted as to how things are going... best of luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to kat For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-25-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I agree with Kat. I'm sorry you are having so much worry over your poor sick little girl.

Please do take her to another vet. This vet is clearly floundering. If only vets would admit when they are over their heads.

Was she tested for FeLV/FIV?

There are many parasites that don't show up in a fecal float.

IBS can usually be controlled with diet, once it is properly diagnosed, but I urge you to find another vet.

Welcome to the forum, and please keep us posted!

please read this first
Unread 02-25-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for your advice. I scheduled a second opinion for next week. I will need someone good at figuring these things out. She was tested for the main illnesses (aids, leukemia, worms, etc.) and also for many known viruses (salmonella, corona, toxoplasma, etc) in a separate panel. I just don't know what could be wrong with her. I will keep you updated. Thanks.
Unread 02-26-2011   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi--Oh, poor baby!!!! I am so glad you got a second opinion. Please let us know what happens. Bring all the paperwork from the FIRST vet to the second vet.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 02-27-2011   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarsmom View Post
Thanks for your advice. I scheduled a second opinion for next week. I will need someone good at figuring these things out. She was tested for the main illnesses (aids, leukemia, worms, etc.) and also for many known viruses (salmonella, corona, toxoplasma, etc) in a separate panel. I just don't know what could be wrong with her. I will keep you updated. Thanks.
Yes, please do come back and let us know how the new vet works out.

please read this first
Unread 03-01-2011   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

MizCattitude is on a distinguished road
Default Second Opinion

Agree, agree, agree! It's time for a second opinion. Sometimes a new set of eyes and experiences are what's needed. I hope things start looking up for your baby.
Unread 03-03-2011   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Second opinion

Well me and my sugar went in for our second opinion today. They weighed her and she has lost more weight. She is down to 5 1/2lbs at 8 months. The vet took her blood amongst screaming and crying from my baby. She is going to do a full panel on her and test for other illnesses. Sugar is in low spirits today but I'm hoping my love will sustain her. Thanks for the well wishes and I will update with the blood work results.
Unread 03-03-2011   #9 (permalink)
kat
Cool Cat

My Mood: Angelic
kat is on a distinguished road

Shame, poor baby, thanks for the update.

It sounds like the vet you went to now is doing a lot more than the first one, spending a bit more time and effort to find out what is wrong... I'm glad!
Good luck on the test results, and I will keep an eye open for your next update!

PROUD MUMMY OF DIZI AND SASHA!!!

Unread 03-03-2011   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarsmom View Post
Well me and my sugar went in for our second opinion today. They weighed her and she has lost more weight. She is down to 5 1/2lbs at 8 months. The vet took her blood amongst screaming and crying from my baby. She is going to do a full panel on her and test for other illnesses. Sugar is in low spirits today but I'm hoping my love will sustain her. Thanks for the well wishes and I will update with the blood work results.
Thanks for the update, I'm glad Sugar has seen another vet. Is it possible she got into anything toxic? The vet probably already asked that, but I thought I'd check.

My biggest fear when kittens of this age are poorly is FIP. Praying it's not that, but there is no way to test for it on a live cat.

Please keep us posted, all paws crossed here for Sugar.

please read this first

Tags
advice , age , allergy , another cat , antibiotics , art , baby , baking soda , behavior , bills , bladder , box , car , cat , cats , crazy , crying , diarrhea , diet , eating , elderly , eye , eyes , fast , fip , fiv , fixed , fleas , food , girl , groom , hey , hiding , home , hurt , ibd , infection , kennel , kitten , litter , litter box , love , medical , opinion , pee , pill , play , playing , problems , sick , sickness , sleep , sleeping , smart , surgery , test , type , uti , vet , weight , wet food , window , won't eat , worry

Sponsored Cat Links