It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-01-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

luna0994 is on a distinguished road
Default A newly spayed kitten

And I think she feels betrayed by us because of it. She recently turned 4 months old. We've had her for just 2 months. I let my 16 year old daughter talk me into getting her. Initially, she'd begged over and over for a puppy but we already have a 13 1/2 year old dog. I know the responsibility there. 2 years ago, my eldest daughter found a stray kitten, (a Tuxedo with cattitude), whom I'd fallen in love with and kept. So, it was getting to be a bit of a zoo,
This kitten is a Bengal, she was so sweet and cuddly and so not like my Tuxedo. I mean, my Tuxedo she loves me, but she will only take so much. This kitten would crawl voluntarily into my lap and cuddle and purr for hours!
Since the surgery she is frightened of everything. The sparkle in her eye is gone, now replaced by mistrust.
I just want her back like she used to be, what can I do to get back in her good graces? Is this temporary? I never noticed this change in my Tuxedo cat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-01-2011   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

MizCattitude is on a distinguished road
Smile A Newly Spayed Kitten

I've had many kittens throughout the years, male and female, each one has been spayed or neutered at varying ages. I've never particularly noticed an adverse reaction to the spaying or neutering itself. I do, however, think a stay at the vet can bring about some anxiety. The only truly personality-altering surgery I ever noticed was when we had one of our cats declawed. She was never able to come back from that, became psychotic, and it's a procedure I would NEVER have done again.

That being said, female cats tend to be more moody and temperamental than males as a whole (IMHO) and can take a little longer to regain their composer. But to be honest, cats are unique creatures. There's just no way to predict the outcome. Be loving, nurturing, and patient with her. There's also an herbal oil you could buy at a health food store or pet store that has adds a calming effect to your household. It could help. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna0994 View Post
And I think she feels betrayed by us because of it. She recently turned 4 months old. We've had her for just 2 months. I let my 16 year old daughter talk me into getting her. Initially, she'd begged over and over for a puppy but we already have a 13 1/2 year old dog. I know the responsibility there. 2 years ago, my eldest daughter found a stray kitten, (a Tuxedo with cattitude), whom I'd fallen in love with and kept. So, it was getting to be a bit of a zoo,
This kitten is a Bengal, she was so sweet and cuddly and so not like my Tuxedo. I mean, my Tuxedo she loves me, but she will only take so much. This kitten would crawl voluntarily into my lap and cuddle and purr for hours!
Since the surgery she is frightened of everything. The sparkle in her eye is gone, now replaced by mistrust.
I just want her back like she used to be, what can I do to get back in her good graces? Is this temporary? I never noticed this change in my Tuxedo cat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MizCattitude For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-01-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks, I know it had to be done but I feel a tremendous amount of guilt with her regardless because she was a day shy of being 4 months old and I worried we acted too hastily. I have threatened my Tuxedo cat Luna with the declawing thing when she's naughty but have never made an appointment. (Even after having sacrificed my favorite rocking chair)
The vet we use originally advised that when we spay her we should declaw her that day too, (my daughter was considering having her declawed)...but then we opted to wait until the incision on her belly was healed because I worried she'd go into shock from having that much pain, it seemed like an awful lot all at once. They didn't keep her overnight and she was still under anesthesia when we picked her up and overall it was a bad experience for her and me.
She has an extra toe on each front paw and her hind legs look like that of a rabbits, it just makes her even more unique. I could never let her suffer like that again.
Unread 03-01-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Please do NOT declaw the kitten! Please read the link in my signature, decalwing is amputation, and leaves the cat with a life time of pain and deformity.

Your kitten can be trained to scratch where you want her to.

Your kitten just went through major surgery, it will take her some time to feel better.

How long ago was the spay, by the way?

And...find another vet. Any vet who offers declawing as part of a spay package is not to be trusted. They do not have your pets' best interests at heart. Offering a declawing is an act of pure greed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 03-01-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Unread 03-01-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Spaying

You need never feel guilty about spaying because it's without a doubt the kindest thing you can do for you furbaby and the cat population in general. Cats that are spayed and neutered live longer, healthier, more disease-free lives. They're less prone to want to be outside and wander away, where they might be killed by another animal, meet their end on a busy road, or fall victim to any number of illnesses. And as anyone who has ever lived with a female cat in heat will tell you, it's a miserable experience for cat and owner alike!

As far as declawing, I agree with the previous poster. It would be as if you amputated the end of your fingers in lieu of simply trimming your nails. It can seriously send a cat into a psychotic frame of mind, not to mention the horrendous pain it inflicts. I wish I'd known that years ago when I declawed our one cat.

We keep plenty of scratching posts around for our cat, Koda, and he uses them faithfully. In addition, since we also have four grandchildren, I use a small pair of feline nail scissors to trim the nails on his front paws every few weeks. Your kitten is at a great age to start training for that. It's very easy to do.

She'll forgive and forget the spaying. You definitely did the right thing!
Unread 03-01-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

You're absolutely right. Why any vet would recommend declawing is beyond me. A different vet is definitely in order.
The Following User Says Thank You to MizCattitude For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-02-2011   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks, I have read some of the literature as to what happens to the cat during and after the procedure, how it affects them mentally and physically. I love both kitties the just the way they are and I know I'd never do that to them.
She is into day 8 of her spay and is healing okay. I have had to separate her from the other animals due to the possibility of rough housing and she is upset with me for that but it is all for her own good and safety.
As far as the spaying experience goes, my original vet left and someone else took over his practice. I haven't had to use this new owner much other than for routine shots. I explained to my daughter what happens to the cat after they've been declawed and she has since changed her mind.
We both agree that this place simply sees $ signs, and we have lost alot of faith in them and we are now looking for a new vet.
The Following User Says Thank You to luna0994 For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-02-2011   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

How TERRIBLE that your vet recommended declawing. Do you know that 26 countries in Europe do not declaw--it is illegal, and Europeans are horrified when they learn that the "procedure" is still done here. Thank you for deciding not to do it. By the way, I suggest that you find a new vet. Any vet that would recommend such a horrific thing is only in it for the greed. I started a thread in this forum on declawing--you should read it, as it is very informative. Thank you again for NOT declawing. I can't believe that there are people in this country that feel circumcision done on male babies is "barbaric" even though there is no lasting negative effect, only positive--yet these same people would have their beautiful kitties' toes amputated and mutilated!!!!! Disgusting and shameful!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
anxiety , beautiful , belly , bengal , cat , cats , dog , eye , female , food , found , health , heat , hey , in heat , informative , kitten , kittens , love , loving , male , neutering , paw , personality , pet , puppy , spay , spayed , stray , surgery , tuxedo cat , vet

Sponsored Cat Links