It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cool
msjayc is on a distinguished road
Default Please help!

I have four cats and live in a one bedroom apartment. I love my babies but I can't seem to keep them under control. They are always scratching my furniture, jumping on my tables and counters and killing all of my plants. I am seriously thinking about calling a no-kill shelter and taking them all there, but i would really like to try other alternatives first. When Im home they mind, but when Im gone 10 hours of the day, that's when all hell breaks loose. If there is anyone out there who can give me advise on solutions that really work, PLEASE HELP.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-12-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum!

How old are your cats?

Install a feliway plug in or two to help reduce stress. Get rid of the plants. Many are toxic to cats anyway.

Get them some cat trees to jump and climb on. Keep things put away so they can't destroy anything.

Put some bird feeders outside a window or two for Cat TV.

10 hours a day is a long time for cats to be alone. You need to spend some time giving them attention every day, before you leave, and when you get home. Cats need routine. Just a few minutes in the morning and in the evening with your full attention will go a long way toward them feeling more settled.

If you can afford it, hire a pet sitter to come in in the middle of the day for an hour or so to clean their litter boxes and play with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-15-2011   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Please do not get rid of the kitties. They miss you and are bored when you are not there. Cats need lots of toys, STURDY cat trees and STURDY cat scratchers--not those little dainty pretty ones. They are good for humans to look at but not good for ats to scratch and play on. If your apartment is small you could install wood ramps on the walls at an angle and install them on the walls keeping the highest ones just above the door frame (a couple of feet below your ceiling) Have the last ramp end at the top of the door frame an install a nice perch above the door frame. Cats need to climb and be up high. That is why they climb all over the tables and counters. This is natural and it's part of being a cat. If your apartment is large enough, a couple of tall cat trees with perches and an enclosed "condo" would be nice. Also, you could install a cat perch on the windowsill. Cats LOVE to sun themselves and look out the window. When you get home from work (I know you are probably tired after working all day) you should play an interactive game with your cats every night such as one of those feathers on a string that you can run around with and they can chase. Also, cats love laser toys too. Also there is something you plug in called Feliway plug-in diffuser and it is pheremones that help calm down a stressed cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 04-15-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

pompett is on a distinguished road

Thats to be expected really.... you could help ease the situation by making play things for them. Tie srtings to doorhandles with bits of feather on the end or something sparkly or rustly. If you cant give them access outside its up to you to provide an alternative. They love boxes which have hidey holes , and brown paper inside that rustles. Have bouncy balls around, and for 4 of them youll need a big scratch post . If you get an old peice of furniture and use a flat bit and a leg or post .... bang post into the centre of flat bit and wind round and round with some old rope or even strips of old fabric. Bang in with nails. You can also order hessian fabric and wallpaper online which is great from confined cats... its very entertaining to watch cos they can climb the wall like spiderman! #i would remove any plants you dont want destroyed. Its their nature to scratch at it if they cant get outside so theyll get told off for doing . If you have time and space , a mouse keeps them amused as do fish. Just make sure you buy a large, sturdy tank or cage that they cant knock over . Theyll watch intently for hours , waiting in earnest to pounce! Theres so much you can do. And you owe it to them! lol

Tags
apartment , babies , brown , calm , carpet , cats , clean , confined , fur , furniture , game , hey , home , jumping , kitties , laser , litter , litter boxes , love , morning , natural , nice , night , no-kill , pet , play , scratch , scratching , shelter , small , stress , toys , type , window

Sponsored Cat Links