It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-17-2011   #11 (permalink)
Newborn

tweetyksc is on a distinguished road
Default Back to normal......

Thanks again guys.
Yesterday I came home and again had him come over when I went to go into the bedroom and sniff the little guy stuck in there. He did a little hissing/growl but he wasn't acting obsessed (you know that STARE they get), and actually yawned while he looked at him. So when I went into the bedroom and went to close the door he tried to follow me in and gave a "normal" cry so I figured I'd give it a shot. Lots of sniffing and some hissing; little guy backed off with a little whimper (doesn't know why he doesn't like him now) but again not obsessively. RELIEF! I kept an eye on them both all night; to my surprise the little one (who is afraid of his own shadow) kept trying - going up to him nose to nose, and backing off. I caught the big boy a couple times staring with the big eyes but I would distract him to kinda of "snap him out of it".
I left them both out today and seems like everything is back to normal.

The big guy seems rested now - he was SO tired from not sleeping/being worked up his eyelids were honest to god half shut the other day.
He's VERY affectionate, wanting to snuggle a lot.

So - relief! I guess I didn't need the feliway but it will come in handy when I take them to the vet. Now I'm worried to take the little one alone so I'll be taking them both for checkups. hmm...getting TWO cats in carriers...that oughtta be fun

I've posted pics of my two boys in my album. The black and white one is my short-term Tasmanian devil and the tabby is my sweet lil guy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-17-2011   #12 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh boy I am so glad things have gone back to normal. Taking them to the vet together, and using the feliway when you do, is a good idea. Let us know how that goes.

Whew!

PS Just had a look at your album. Wow, they are beautiful cats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-18-2011   #13 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Spoke too soon....

I must have spoken too soon.
He's been a little snuggle bear since he's been better, following me around and as soon as I sit down he snuggles like he can't get close enough.

I was THRILLED when he wasn't trying to kill the little one Wed. night and yesterday. This morning when I got up, the little one was lying down and the "problem child" went over and started bathing his head. I was so happy, because that's the normal behavior. he didn't get aggressive when the l ittle one had enough and pushed him away either (sometimes he gives him a bite), he just walked away!

So imagine my surprise, going around my regular routine; coming out of the kitchen I find the problem guy standing in the door way blocking me, staring, hissing, and doing the "wah wah wah" sound. I tried to ignore him and speak lightly; I sat down and did my usual stuff with him sitting STARING and hissing. I just kept ignoring/talking nice and left.

The ONLY thing I can think of - I am wearing the same pants I wore when the TERRIBLE THING happened -i.e. bathing the other cat
He seems to have started acting that way after I dressed.
The pants have gone through the washer and dryer with bounce....
Could the pants be the problem?
Or is he going to now revert back to this now and then?
Unread 03-18-2011   #14 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Sounds like he associates those pants with the whole deal when he first got worked up.

Did you take the pants off? What happened then?

Do you have enough pants to wear that you can put those out of circulation for a while?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-18-2011   #15 (permalink)
Newborn

Oh, I'll throw em out if I have to, but how could they still smell like the bathed cat after being washed and dried? Plus the cat was wet when the smell got on me so it was already diluted a bit. Maybe it's my imagination, don't know.

He wasn't getting real aggressive (that's now a relative term to me, previously I would consider hissing real aggressive).

I left for work; when I came home I was in the kitchen doing something and thought I heard him hissing behind me. I just went into the bedroom and changed and threw the pants in the corner; the little one immediately went over to them and snuggled up I was going to leave them there and see what he did but to be honest I'm just exhausted and need some sleep.

He came up on the bed after I changed and acted like his normal self; sitting next to me, poking me with one paw like he does when he wants a cuddle.

I have to tell you though he spends a lot of time just sitting staring at me and I don't know if he's started to get crazy or what. I just feel like I don't trust him anymore. I usually brush them both once a week; yesterday I did the little one but I didn't dare do him. Furballs aplenty this week.

Oh and thanks for the comment about the boys. I call them my beautiful boys I'm going to post a couple more pics.
Unread 03-19-2011   #16 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Please take some deep breathes and try to relax. You have all been through quite a trauma. You are still recovering, and so is he. You will all be on edge for a few more days, maybe even weeks. Days is more likely but I would rather you be prepared just in case it does take longer! When any creature goes through something that intense it doesn't just go away like nothing happened. There can even be setbacks, like you just experienced. It will get better, it will get better, repeat as often as necessary whenever necessary.
Please keep on keeping us updated and let us help you as much as we can! (((((HUGS)))))

The Following User Says Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-19-2011   #17 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for the hugs
I really appreciate having somewhere to vent about this.
I have a pic of him that is really funny with him staring like a little psycho kitty
but somehow still being quite adorable (taken a while ago, but it would be funny in this thread). Can't link photos til you've posted 25 times tho...

I know I sound impatient but I just in my head don't fully understand it that's probably why - (I understand it, but it the logical side of my brain can't accept it I think) --why something like that would negate 8 years of treating him so well, and one moment he could cuddle and the next want to rip my head off
And I have to admit it really goes against my grain to talk sweetie-sweet and nicey nice to him when I haven't done anything wrong (yes I know he doesn't know that but...) Everything in me says to reprimand him although, YES, I know that will ony make it worse. One of my friends said "basically you have to kiss his a$$" and I told her yeah I feel like I'm talking to a murderer. LOL!

So far so good today; someone said just stay home this weekend and spend a lot of time there but I was out for a while today but will stay home and relax. Still a bit sleep deprived; now the little one is waking me up several times a night doing that crazed running around they do at times; it's ok he was cooped up in the bedroom poor thing.
Unread 03-19-2011   #18 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I understand your feelings. Sometimes cats just have unexplainable reactions to some weird thing. Something happened, when he heard his friend crying, and then somehow the way you came out of the bathroom startled him into the freak out. Once the freak out started, everything, just everything seems scary or threatening to him.

We can hope that, if you eliminate the pants, since he had a reaction to them, that that will end the problem. I do think the feliway plug ins can help. If they'd been available when my DA kitty was alive I sure would have used them.

And I'm glad they have a check up coming soon. Sometimes a change in behavior can be a sign that a cat is sick.

Even though what happened has a name, displaced aggression, it's possible that it has an organic origin, a physical cause. Is he peeing okay? Pooping normally?

PS I keep forgetting to ask, which is which cat in the pictures? Who is the kitty having the problem?

please read this first
Unread 03-20-2011   #19 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetyksc View Post
One of my friends said "basically you have to kiss his a$$" and I told her yeah I feel like I'm talking to a murderer. LOL!
Tell this friend "thanks, but no thanks!" You need things to get back to NORMAL! Anything you do that is different only continues the cycle. No wonder he still looks at you funny, you're not being the mommy he knows and loves. If you use to yell at him for getting on the counter, then yell at him for getting on the counter!! Cats thrive on stability and routine, even tiny changes are stressful, he needs his mommy in all her regular glory- warts and all!

Unread 03-23-2011   #20 (permalink)
Newborn

Well it IS totally out of my nature to kiss A$$
I think I was just trying to reassure him with a calm voice when he was still on the edge.

But he's usually a very good boy, the most he gets is "NO! BAD BOY"

And I HAVE been doing that when he does something wrong - he was playing a little rough with the little one tonight (that poor lil guy - gets no respect) and I scolded him. While I was doing yoga, of all times

He's been doing fine since Friday. I was still feeling nervous then I thought - he was just scared, he didn't actually lay a claw on me, even when he was in total freakout. Once I thought of it that way, I felt better.

Oh, and "the pants" got washed and dried again tonight. I put them on the floor in the bedroom before I put them away and he sniffed them and nothing. We'll see if somethng happens when I wear them again, but you know what? he needs to get over it

Still going to wait a bit before making the MD appts. I don't know how I'm going to get them both in a carrier the same day...

Tags
advice , affectionate , aggressive , another cat , apartment , art , attack , baby , bath , behavior , bite , black , boy , cat , cats , cleaning , constipation , crazy , crying , cut , eating , eye , eyes , feral , food , fun , funny , furniture , growling , happy , hissing , home , house , hurt , kitten , kitty , litter box , love , moving , nails , personality , pet , play , playing , poop , pounce , problems , scared , scratching , sleeping , story , type

Sponsored Cat Links