It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-17-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Amused
Yvohcna is on a distinguished road
Question Lazy lazy cat or kitty depression

I just joined and thought maybe someone might have an answer I'm looking for. I have a cat that is about 9 years old. She's in really good health but she is about the laziest cat I ever met. She was getting kind of chubby a few years ago so we gave her some Chinese herbs from Pet Herb Store.com and that helped but she's still really lazy. I know cats sleep a lot but it seems like this is beyond normal. I see all the other animals getting all frisky because it's spring time but there's my cat, sleeping as usual. She doesn't appear to have any medical problems, she's not hypothyroid and the vet says she's healthy. We lost our dog to poor health last fall and I know she misses the dog. Can cats get depressed, or is this the laziest cat on the planet? Any advice?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-17-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Yes cats get depressed. I'm sorry for your loss of your beloved dog. It's quite possible that she grieved when she lost her dog friend. Usually a cat will recover with time and lots of love and attention, after a few months, but some take longer. Tolly was so devastated when he lost his Bibbs in March 2005, it took him a year to get back to normal.

Cat's don't get hypothyroid so that wouldn't be a concern, but I do recommend you have a senior blood profile done on her, get all her organ function checked out, have her blood pressure checked, get a urinalysis done.

You can install a feliway plug in diffuser or two (depending on the size of your home) to help reduce stress, add a new cat tree, put a bird feeder out side of a sunny window, develop a daily routine of play time with her, to help stimulate her both mentally and physically.

Cats thrive on routine. It may take some time and effort to get her interested in any play, but don't give up. I can help with ideas if you want them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-18-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Smile lazy cat

Wow, thank you for your quick response and the great ideas. I think maybe she's suffering from a combination of the two: laziness and sadness over the loss of the dog. The cat used to sit in the window and watch the world but has not been doing it for months. I have been thinking of putting out a bird feeder and this can be my incentive. We do get a variety of birds, squirrels and jackrabbits here in the middle of our urban setting. Also the occasional roving neighbour feline. I guess we need to start slowly and encourage the cat to participate. She's an indoor cat because we live in the middle of a city, but we will take her out in the yard on a harness as soon as the snow melts and the mud dries up.

I have never heard of a feliway plug. What is it?
Unread 03-19-2011   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Any chance of getting her a new buddy to play with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-19-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Lazy kitty

We have thought about getting another furry friend for her. I love cats but I am allergic, so have decided that one cat is our limit. We were still mourning our loss of "The Best Dog Ever" last fall, but maybe it's time to look again. Kitty likes dogs, as long as they are respectful and she did really enjoy sneaking up and playing tricks on the dog. It might bring some life back into her.

I realize that this is not a dog forum, but I also know that many cat lovers also love dogs. If anyone knows of any medium size breeds, low allergy-non-shedding, with good temperaments, I'd love to know the breed.

Thanks for all the help.

ps. I still don't know what a feliway plug is...
Unread 03-19-2011   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You can talk about your dog, past present or future here too, we love all the pets!

feliway plug in diffuser is a plug in that releases feline pheromones. It was originally designed to help with territorial marking, but it helps with other territorial behaviors, stress and fighting too. I love them and plug one in any time there is going to be some stress in my household.

Feliway Comfort Zone Plug-In: Feliway for Cats

Quote:
. the easy-to-use plug-in diffuses a natural substance, odorless to humans, that mimics a cat's facial pheromones to calm cats in stressful environments.
I am not necessarily recommending this website (though I have used them) in fact it may be cheaper at amazon.com, but I posted this link (above) because it gives some info on it.

here it is at Amazon, but read the drsfostersmith link first because it explains what it is and how it works in detail.

http://www.amazon.com/Feliway-Plug--...0563494&sr=8-1

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 03-19-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Unread 03-19-2011   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

I believe most shelters are now doing a process/test thing, I can't remember what it's called, that helps match pet to potential adopter. Even if the shelter doesn't do that, they should still know the dogs well enough to know temperment and if the dog is good with cats. You could even try fostering until you find the right dog for your cat!
Sounds like your cat would love to have a dog/puppy of her own.

The Following User Says Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-20-2011   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for the info about the feliway plug. I had never heard of it before.

You're right, I was aware of the matching thing. We have some ideas we are working on, and I think we may be leaning toward getting kitty a new furry buddy. She hates other cats but likes dogs, so...
Unread 03-27-2011   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

We went to the Pet Expo here in Calgary yesterday and found the perfect buddy. A little fuzzy rescue dog with lots of energy. As soon as we brought him in the door, our cat actually got out of bed to check him out. She has slept right through other animal visitors. The new little rascal is mostly respectful of cats (big relief) but has gotten swatted for being too nosy a few times. The good news is that the cat is not alarmed about the dog, no fluffed up tail or growling. She seems quite interested in him and follows us around the house. Right now, she is sitting on my desk while the new dog chews his toy at my feet. I'm optimistic that they will be friends. At the very least, the cat has found some new interest in life. Thanks for the advice. It was time to get another dog.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yvohcna For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-27-2011   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

YAY!!!! Congratulations on your new family member, and Hooray For You for adopting a Rescue. Please keep us posted on their growing friendship!

please read this first

Tags
advice , art , behaviour , belly , birds , black , cat , cat behavior , cat lovers , cats , crazy , depressed , dog , dogs , eye , fast , growling , health , healthy , home , indoor , interesting , kitty , lazy , loss , lost , medical , new cat , pet , play , playing , problems , profile , sad , senior , sleep , sleeping , story , stress , vet , window

Sponsored Cat Links