It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-24-2011   #1 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road
Default Feral Aggression.

I am proud of how my cats live in harmony, the ones who have lived here for a while anyway. The most recent feral toms are not doing as well.

Sunny showed up last Sept. He looks so skinny in that first shot. It was a good month later before I finally got him in to the vet. He was neutered, tested and vaccinated. We figure him at 4 to 5 years old. He's spent way too much time fighting to live!
The first hurdle was Adonis. He was trapped, accidently by neighbors and given to me (in the trap!), Sept. '05. He was vetted immediately and lived behind my sofa for over a month.

They fought some at first and now are easily seperated before any fur flies. They can even walk past each other with only glares.
The problem now is Moon. He's only been here almost a month. He looks maybe 2 years old, now neutered,tested and vaccinated. I will always feel such a rush of relief when the tests all come back negative!! But Sunny will go out of his way to get out and seek him out to fight.
I understand that the aggression is pretty ingrained from the years of fighting to survive, but is there any way to help them feel more secure, quicker?
Since Moon is outside and Sunny is inside (as much as I can force him to be) I can't imagine the Feliway plug in would work as well. Would the spray help Sunny chill out for the times that happen so suddenly?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-24-2011   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

Sorry I don't have any pics of Moon yet. The pics I have, Sunny and Adonis, are from discs I get with the pictures I get developed via my regular old camera. I did just get a digital camera and am just starting to get it figured out.
I do believe I've mentioned being very tech challenged!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-24-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

If you have any questions regarding the camera or anything, feel free to ask here or PM me.. I'm pretty good with tech and can generally answer most questions

I really like the coloring of Adonis..
Unread 03-24-2011   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

Thank you, I think I'm getting it figured out! Let me play with it some more and try to figure out how to word what confuses me.
Adonis does have unique coloring doesn't he! That's why he lived behind my sofa. Normally I release a feral/stray outside, to get adjusted in my barn or shed and decide how much contact they want. I was just so taken with him, I couldn't risk him taking off. No cat ever has, they always stay, so I'm not sure what I was worried for! Adonis was one of the first, so maybe I just wasn't as use to it yet.
Sunny was outside and didn't take long at all to want in. If he hadn't been so wild and scared I would wonder if he was feral. He always wanted to be loved on but didn't know how to do it. I got my face too close too soon and had claw marks right next to my eyes! It's like he would beg for attention and then not know what to do with it when he got it.

Unread 03-24-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hi Sue, some Feliway plug in diffusers may help with the aggression and territorial issues.

You're a real hero for all the work you do for the strays and ferals, especially getting them neutered.

please read this first
Unread 03-26-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

tweetyksc is on a distinguished road

Adonis has beautiful markings what a handsome kitty.

God bless ya for helping all of those lost ones and giving them a home.
There are some homeless cats around my apartment grounds and my heart goes out to them, especially in the winter. There is no way with my big boy I could bring another cat home - he just wouldn't have it!
Unread 03-27-2011   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

You could make a major difference in their lives by contacting a TNR group to get them spayed/neutered and vaccinated. Then simply care for them as a colony. It is worth the effort and very rewarding!

The Following User Says Thank You to kskat For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-29-2011   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

tweetyksc is on a distinguished road

kscat - I live in a big apartment complex so I don't see them often but I do see the same ones. There are some women from a shelter that come and feed them and I believe they have also taken them in for fixing. It just breaks my heart that they are outside.

I also live on the 4th floor so there's no way for me to set something out/provide them shelter.
Unread 03-30-2011   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

Keep an eye out for those ladies and introduce yourself. If I were one of those ladies I would be thrilled to know someone close by could keep an eye on those kitties! Get a phone #, if one of the cats should get hurt or sick you could get help immediately. You can be a guardian angel!

Tags
aggression , another cat , apartment , beautiful , boy , camera , cat , cats , colony , digital camera , eye , feral , fighting , free , fur , hey , home , homeless , hurt , kitty , lost , oops , pictures , play , problem , sad , scared , spayed , stray , strays , territorial , vet , wild

Sponsored Cat Links