It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-26-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

ButterflyDust is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Female Kitty - need advice!!

I have several pets including three cats. My youngest cat is about 4.5 years old. She is a sweet little cat (forever tiny). However, she has several habits/behaviors that are driving the entire household insane!!!

1. HOWLING. She walks around the house incessantly howling for no apparent reason. We let her out to the garage - she howls to get in. We let her in - she howls to get out. She can't be calmed and will NOT stop. We've tolerated this for a long time now.

2. Recently I started smelling a strong scent of urine in my dining room. I cleaned and cleaned the floors thinking that someone had an accident, but nothing changed. During spring cleaning, I started taking things off of my china hutch to dust and organize, etc. This is where I have stored my wedding bouquets and albums from not only my wedding, but my parents and my husband's parents. When I lifted the flowers, they were dripping with urine! Some was fresh and wet. Some was dried up and crystallized. Under the flowers, the hutch was COVERED with wet and dry urine, so bad that I have had to sand the hutch, absorb the scent out with powders, and will have to revarnish. This is pretty much the last straw for the rest of the family. They are putting their foot down about the cat going.

I am SICK over this. All of my pets are well trained and well behaved and I do not know what to do about this!! I Love my cat, but if I can't get this under control - and fast - I will have to find her a new home.

Any suggestions?? All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-26-2011   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

It sounds like Kitty may be ill. Have you taken her to the vet recently? When cats pee outside the box, it can mean the cat is sick. Please have her checked out. If she is fine, I had good luck using Cat Attract cat litter. Whatever is in it attracts the cat and the cat "has to" use the litter box. Or it may be behavioral. If there are any changes in the household, cats get very stressed and, like children, will act out. Please don't "get rid of" the cat. If it was your human child, your family wouldn't be saying to get rid of the child and put him/her in foster care. Well cats are family too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-27-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

First, is this poor cat spayed? If she is not spayed, that is the problem. And also, if she is not spayed she may be developing a pyometra, which is a deadly infection of the uterus.

I agree with Aunt Kitty. Your cat needs to see the vet. If she has a urinary tract infection she is in pain. UTIs hurt, and don't go away on their own. Left untreated they get worse, and the kidneys become affected.

Welcome to the forum, and please keep us posted and let us know how else we can help you.

Once her health status is determined there is more we can advise, but I think she is sick, and/or needs to be spayed.

Hopefully you were just speaking out of frustration when you threatened to "find her a new home". She's your cat, your family, you don't get rid of family because they have problems, you help them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-27-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I just noticed this sentence

Quote:
Some was dried up and crystallized.
Urine doesn't "crystallize" when it dries unless there are crystals in the urine. Crystals are not normal and they HURT! Your cat is sick and probably has been for a long time.

PLEASE take her to the vet without delay.

please read this first
Unread 03-27-2011   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Please do get her to the vet ASAP! Crystals are not only painful they can build up and become deadly!

Unread 03-27-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Chatty
sara gibson is on a distinguished road

sometimes cats dont like using shared or full/dirty litter trays or maybe she is scenting females do this too if she is un spayed maybe spaying may help. x
Unread 03-27-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara gibson View Post
sometimes cats dont like using shared or full/dirty litter trays or maybe she is scenting females do this too if she is un spayed maybe spaying may help. x
Good point Sara.

Butterflydust how many litter boxes do you have? You should have at least four and they should be, as mentioned here, kept scrupulously clean. We're not saying you don't, it's just one suggestion.

But I am still certain your cat is sick and needs to see the vet. A UTI is a bacterial infection which will need antibiotics. If the UTI is being caused by crystals in the urine a special diet will be needed, at least for a while, and then a diet change to all canned food can be tried. If the crystals come back on an all canned diet, a prescription diet may be needed for her entire life.

please read this first

Tags
advice , antibiotics , box , care , cat , cat needs , cats , changed , children , clean , cleaning , diet , dry , family , fast , female , foster , health , hey , home , hurt , infection , kitty , litter , litter box , love , new home , pee , problems , raw , sick , stop , suggestions , urine , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links