It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sick
Missy is on a distinguished road
Default older cat can't groom himself

ok so my older cat Minty who is about 14 years old now, seems to be able to no longer groom himself properly, he may spend ages licking his paws, etc however he is never actually clean

because of this he cant get rid of any of his excess hair, his got a bit of dandruff and he doesnt smell clean anymore either, and because he just sleeps in the one spot on the spare bed its constantly needing to be washed

any ideas on how i can help with the dry skin/dandruff?
also what is the best type of brush to use on him, he is just a short haired domestic

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-02-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

The first thing you want to do is take Minty to the vet. He needs a check up and blood work.

When coat quality deteriorates as you have described there is often an underlying health issue such as kidney failure, hyperthyroid disease or diabetes. While not curable, all these things are manageable with treatment to give the cat a good quality of life, usually for a long time.

He may also have arthritis which can affect his ability to reach certain places to wash.

You can groom him to help him stay clean, but do get him to the vet without delay. Cats instinctively hide illness, and by the time you begin to see symptoms such as a poor coat, they've usually been ill for quite a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-02-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

he was only just at the vet recently for his vaccination and they did tests and found he doesnt have diabetes, his kidneys are all fine, everything is fine besides a bit of blindness (however not enough to cause him to not groom himself)

i know he has a very sensitive stomach due to a previous urinary tract infection, and he did have a paralysis tick when he was much much younger but was treated for both

any ideas on the best sort of brush that i could use on him, i also know that there are some foods that can help with the dandruff, i tried one it did work however he wasnt interested in the food for very long
Unread 05-02-2011   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Senior cats' health can change quickly. It doesn't matter that he was "recently" at the vet, he is having symptoms now.

In your other post you said he has been avoiding the litter box for at least two months. Your kitty needs to see the vet and have blood work and a urine culture done, especially as he has a previous history of UTI. The sooner trouble is caught, the better the chances of treating it.

Illness and pain are what causes a cat to stop washing and/or a coat to loose quality like that. Illness and pain are what causes a cat to stop using the litter box.

What are you feeding him?

I use regular plastic combs for every day grooming and a furminator three times a week to help control shedding.

But your kitty needs to see the vet.

Keep us posted on Minty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-02-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

minty is on top quality dry food designed for older cats with sensitive stomachs

the thing is his coat issues were the same when he last saw the vet but after some research i am thinking of taking him back again this week, he could be peeing in the lounge because thats where my other kitten goes who is an undesexed male so maybe his trying to show dominance however the kitten only ever goes in his litter box which is at the other end of the house.

me thinks its time to take him to the vet, as if it is something that is truly serious i want to make the best choice suitable for him

Tags
box , cat , cats , clean , diabetes , dry , dry food , found , groom , grooming , health , hey , hyper , infection , kitten , kitty , licking , litter , litter box , mat , senior , smell , stop , type , urine , uti , vet , wash

Sponsored Cat Links