It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

tigercharm is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Should I get a new companion for my 7 year old female cat?

I recently had to put down one of my 2 cats this past weekend. I used to have 3 cats but had to put one down 2 years ago as well. Now I'm left with poor Cheetah who is a 7 year old DSH Tabby mix. She has never been alone without another cat in the house. But it did take her a year to get used to the one I did bring home. I don't think she should be alone, but not sure what to do. If it's suggested I do bring in another cat, should it be a kitten? A young cat, an older cat? Should it be male or female? I worry about older male cats because of spraying. Please give me some advise? Thanks you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-02-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum! I am so sorry about your losses of your beloved cats, both the recent one and the one from two years ago.

Since your remaining girl is used to having a kitty companion, I think another cat is a good idea. I wouldn't rush things, as she (and you also) needs time to grieve, but you can start visiting the shelters and rescues and see who is available. go to petfinder.com and find the listings in your area.

Adult male cats do not automatically spray. Just make sure kitty is neutered.

However my advice is to visit the shelter and see who Chooses you. Going in with a preconceived idea of what you want almost never works out.

You already know not to expect new kitty and Cheetah to instantly like one another, but you also know that with time they can come to accpet each other, and often form deep bonds.

So yes, I think another kitty is a good idea. Kittens abound this time of year but I like to see the adult cats get forever homes. You might also consider a bonded pair that should not be separated.

Keep us posted on your search!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-02-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Gail, Thank you so much, this is very helpful. I welcome all advise!! I certainly will keep you posted.
Unread 05-05-2011   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

Well, if you're away for large portions of the day, having another companion might be nice for Cheetah. However, if you're at home quite a lot, she probably doesn't need anyone else but you

My two cats bicker quite a bit, but they also occasionally play. I don't regret adopting Nefrit, but I do believe Bastet would have been happy with just the two of us (me and her).

And once I had to send Nefrit away for a week, and Bastet was absolutely okay with that lol
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and now
, aka "The Nefrinator"
Unread 05-05-2011   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Artemis,

Thanks,
My husband and I work full time, so Cheetah is alone for about 10 hours a day.

Tags
advice , another cat , art , cat , cats , cheetah , female , girl , happy , hey , home , homes , house , kitten , kittens , kitty , male , nice , play , search , shelters , tabby , worry

Sponsored Cat Links