It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-24-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

gonefishin is on a distinguished road
Default anesthesia advice

I have a 17yo male indoor cat. Completely deaf, probably arthritic hips or rear leg(s), hyperthyroid taking 5mg Felimazole 2x daily. Vet visits are stressful - he struggles, cries, hisses, growls the entire time they are hands on.
Vet says that putting him under for routine work like dental cleaning or xrays would be too stressful at his age and temperament. Does this sound right?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-25-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Well, it really depends on each cat individually. Your vet knows your cat's health and the risks involved best.

However, these are the questions I would be asking

Is there significant dental decay? Is the dental problem affecting the cat's quality of life? Mouth pain can make a cat's life miserable. Sometimes the risk is worth taking, because what kind of life is it, to live with constant mouth pain?

What kind of anesthesia will be used? Sevoflurane gas anesthesia is the safest available. It is fast acting, very low stress, and quickly leaves the body afterwards. No "pre-sedation" is needed.

It is a little more expensive than other anesthesia, but I would not allow any other used in my cats.

My senior cat had CKD (kidney disease), hyperthyroid, heart murmur, high blood pressure, arthritis, megacolon, and one stroke, when she had to have dental work done. There was a risk that the anesthesia would accelerate her kidney disease, but I had to take that risk, the poor little girl couldn't even eat her mouth hurt her so much. After her dental surgery she went on to enjoy 8 more happy months with no mouth pain.

You could take your cat to another vet for a second opinion, if you don't get satisfactory answers from the attending vet.

For cats, it's all about quality of life. Forcing a cat to suffer mouth pain because anesthesia is a risk, is not something I would do. I would take the risk, and if the kitty decided to die while under anesthesia, at least I would know that I had done everything possible to save the kitty from suffering.

Chances are, if every precaution is taken, and if sevo gas is used, kitty will be okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-25-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

gonefishin is on a distinguished road

Thanks. Will have to check for vets using the Sevoflurane.

Am told no abscess teeth and moderate tartar buildup on 2 of 4 visits where I asked them to check teeth. Doesn't mind eating kibble so maybe teeth not hurting. Thyroid levels off the chart, then down to high after 1 month of single dose meds. Went from 14lbs to 9lbs now up to 11lbs with double dose.

Untreated hyperthyroid he had great appetite of 2 small cans per day. Now, new brands and flavors he eats heartily. Once he is used to a food, he licks up all the juice then snacks on the wet food so I give 1/2 can at a time and still have waste. Always has senior blend kibble. May cut back to 1/2 can each before and after work when he is given meds.

Current issues: Still has never had teeth cleaned or xrays. drinks and urinates good. typically defecates once a day and usually cries very loud 7 or 8 times afterward. uses litterbox but rarely buries. unstable getting up or when using hindquarters as base for grooming.
Unread 06-28-2012   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Are you saying that he cries after he defecates? What kind of litter box do you use? My cats love the under bed storage boxes, fairly low sides and lots of room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice , age , cat , cat's , cats , cleaning , cut , eating , fast , food , girl , grooming , growls , happy , health , heart murmur , hey , hurt , hyper , indoor , joy , kitty , litterbox , male , opinion , problem , save , senior , senior cat , stress , surgery , vet , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links