It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-29-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

soucha is on a distinguished road
Default Deaf cat having trouble with litter box!!

We have 3 cats and two litter boxes. One is an enclosed Booda Dome and the other is an open, half-moon shaped self-cleaning rotating litter box. Two of the cats have no problem using both, even my rather fat male... he just scoots his butt to the right spot. The problem is our two year old deaf female. She consistently does her business on the stairway of the Booda Dome or just over the edge of the automatic litter box. She also doesn't try to cover it up. I am pregnant and my husband is tired of cleaning up behind her. We don't want to re-home her (which would be hard anyway with her being deaf) and we think that due to her deafness she has problems with spacial recognition (like realizing to turn around first before going in the box). Can anyone PLEASE help with this issue??? Any suggestions appreciated!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-30-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Add another box. Obviously neither of those boxes are working for her.

Give her a normal, large, litter box that she can jump into, do her business and get out of. No cover, no machines.

A high sided box will prevent butt hangover, but make sure the box is large enough. some cats just need more room than others.

I use these:

Actually I would add two boxes, one large with regular sides, and one large with high sides. But add at least one, normal large box.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-30-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Ah! That looks like a great idea! Can't believe it didn't occur to me. We bought the booda dome just for the male cat, he likes to hide, then bought the auto box for the other female, she is a neat freak. I will try that right away. I hope it's that simple. Thank you!... On both accounts
Unread 09-15-2012   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Just wanted to post an update on our final solution... which so far has worked well the last week! I discussed this need for higher sides and no stairway with my husband and he decided to 'plastic welded' a round tub into a 'shield' for the automatic box. Now there are very high sides that slant inward to the rotating part of the box! All THREE kitties are using it! Whoot!! Soon as I get my camera recharged I'll post a pic. It's goofy looking, but if it works, I don't care
The Following User Says Thank You to soucha For This Useful Post:
Unread 09-15-2012   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Please do post pics, this I want to see!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 09-16-2012   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Scud couldn't stay out of the limelight. LOL, when he sees the camera he stays RIGHT in front of it! (that and he tries to play with the wrist strap) DH made this out of a heavy plastic tub we had in the shop. He cut the bottom off, used part of that to make the shelf the cats use to step in and out, then used strips heat-welded at an angle to prevent spillage. It rests outside the spinning mechanism so the box can still rotate. All 3 kitties have used it successfully this week! Yay! My first time posting photos, hope it works...

This is the specific litter box is the Petco PetSafe Simply Clean Automatic Litter Box. It looks small, but it's much bigger than some of the other auto boxes. We didn't want to have to buy cartridges either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9160010.jpg (88.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P9160008.jpg (87.7 KB, 6 views)

Tags
box , business , camera , car , care , cat , cats , clean , cleaning , cut , female , great , heat , home , kitties , litter , litter box , litter boxes , male , photos , play , pregnant , problem , problems , small , suggestions

Sponsored Cat Links