It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-03-2013   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

NekoMeow is on a distinguished road
Default Laundry basket problem!

Hello everyone!

I have a 4 year old male, neutered kitty named Logan. Around the end of 2012/beginning of 2013 I got lazy and decided to keep my laundry basket close to the washer/dryer (instead of lugging it over from my bedroom). Logan's litter box is in the same area. After I had put in a load of laundry, I saw Logan hop in, do him little bum wiggle and spray in the laundry basket! At first I was shocked because I didn't know a male cat could still spray after being neutered. I cleaned the basket and my carpet with an odor remover.

I took him to his vet the next day because he has had UTI issues in the passed and I know when he pees out of his box something is up. He passed his exams - no UTI, no crystals.

Today I noticed him digging in my basket that was full of dirty clothes. I saw him squat him booted him out before he could do any damage. After sifting through the basket I found that he had sprayed again (days ago as it was dried) and all of my clothes were yellow with his urine. I noticed my carpet still smelled of urine despite using an odor remover. I'll be tossing it and getting a new basket, and getting Nature's Miracle stuff as I heard it works wonders for odor!

I'm not sure why he keeps doing this to my laundry basket! He wont do it anywhere else in the house. I'm hesitant to take him to the vet again because he's showing no signs of distress. He's drinking enough, peeing and pooping fine. I've had no changes in my household (I'm pretty OCD with my daily routines. I hate change just as much as him).
Is there a chance he sees my laundry basket as another litter box? Would it have something to do with the scent of my dirty clothing?
What can I do about my clothing? I've trashed them now but for the future? I washed a pillow case he peed on years ago in hot water and then on sanitize mode when that didn't work... Nothing gets the smell out.

I love my little guy but he needs to stop doing this!!

......... Help? =^.^=
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-03-2013   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

All cats can spray. Male, female, neutered, spayed, or not. But I don't think your male is spraying. I think he is avoiding the litter box for a reason.

The trick is to figure out what that reason is.

Most important is diet: What are you feeding him?

Second in importance is litter boxes: how many litter boxes do you have? How often do you scoop them?

If your cat is dry fed, especially as he has had urinary tract issues before, you really really need to get him on a wet, low carb, no fish diet. Even if his urine passes a UA, he may be having inflammation in his urinary tract which makes it hurt to pee. So he avoids the litter box, trying your soft laundry in an effort to get away from the pain.

A dry diet makes this inflammation worse. I can go more into that later, after I know what you are feeding him.

Many cats prefer one box for peeing and one for pooping. It is an instinctual behavior. Add another box, and scoop them both at least once a day.

Keep the dirty laundry out of reach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:

Tags
behavior , box , carpet , cat , cats , diet , dry , female , found , house , hurt , kitty , lazy , litter , litter box , litter boxes , love , male , pee , peeing , problem , stop , urine , uti , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links