It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-19-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Goddess is on a distinguished road
Unhappy cat can eat but not drink

I searched the net and couldn't find anything like this. We have an outdoor cat, the brother of the one I brought in to live and noticed odd things while he was in a couple days because of the cold weather. His urine is very strong smelling. I know he can eat (dry) because I feed him outside. While he was inside, I notices when he was drinking out of a bowl that he had trouble getting the water down. He would lick, lick, lick and swallow, but it didn't seem like it was going down. He moved his head forward and it appeared like he was slightly moving his tongue perhaps to let the water flow down. Then he did it again and by then, he gave up drinking. I give him water outside and it takes a couple days to empty a pint bowl. I have no money for a vet but I'd like to know if he can live like this. By the way, he's about 2 and available for adoption.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brother 001.JPG (57.2 KB, 1 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-19-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I think you should:

1) take him off the dry food. Feed him a canned (wet food) diet so he can get the moisture he needs from a more species appropriate diet. Both cats should be on canned food.

If he is not neutered, that is why his urine stinks. He should be neutered immediately.

If he is neutered he is probably sick. Urinary tract disease is very common in dry fed cats, very painful, and can become fatal in males quickly because they block. Once blocked the bladder will burst without emergency medical attention.

A cat on a dry diet who doesn't drink is an emergency in the making.

Find the money for the vet. When you have pets, money for the vet is not optional.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-22-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

jesslvs2grm is on a distinguished road

Check in his mouth for lacerations. Check the color of his gums. Should be pink. He may be dehydrated and need fluids. Any low cost clinics over there? Or call around see if the shelters can help with an exam since you are fostering him. He needs to be seen for sure.
Unread 03-27-2014   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Please do search for no-kill shelters, rescue groups and TNR groups. They would be the most likely to be able to help. Bless you for trying to help these cats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 03-28-2014   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

elphieliveson is on a distinguished road

Google pet care aid. There are several groups out there that help low income people with pet care. At times, they run out of funds, but its worth a search.
The Following User Says Thank You to elphieliveson For This Useful Post:
Unread 06-23-2014   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

lewin is on a distinguished road

I think you should catch he neutered immediately.
Unread 06-23-2014   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

slaphappy is on a distinguished road

he sounds like he needs to be seen by a vet if you live in cincinnati ohio there is a place called pets n need they are for low income families that can get your pet what he needs cheap he might need a fluids or antibiotics they can do blood work to see what is going on with him check the area where you live and see if they have a clinic in your area like pets n need

Tags
adoption , bladder , can't swallow water , canned food , care , cat , cats , cold , color , diet , dry , dry food , food , fostering , hey , medical , money , moving , outdoor , pet , rescue , shelters , sick , swallow water , unable to drink , urine , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links