It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-22-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Pensive
Diamondgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Feral cat

I started feeding a very skinny feral cat the first part of December. She is a little calico. My plan was to trap her and have her spayed in the spring, but I got worried when we were expecting a big blizzard, so I trapped her the first part of February, named her Heidi, and set her up in an unused bedroom.

I have been feeding her and trying to get her a little tamer. She will allow me to stroke her with a plastic stick, and she will eat a few cat treats right beside me, but she will not allow me to touch her with my hands yet.

My plan was to get her somewhat used to human contact, then take her to the vet to get immunizations and spayed. The problem is, I have noticed the last few days, she has developed quite the belly. She could just be getting fat, or I suppose, she might be pregnant.

Is it possible? Could she have been in heat in February?

She has been in the house for about 50 days. I don't want to grab her so I can look her over really good, because I don't want to loose all the trust we have developed so far.

Any suggestions.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-22-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quite possible, even likely, she is pregnant. Congratulations on the rescue, though it's too bad she will have to go through a delivery, she sounds pretty young herself. Some vets will spay pretty far into a pregnancy, some won't, that is if you were even considering that.

Of course worms can also swell a belly, but...I do have a feeling you're about to become a nursery in a couple weeks. Thank goodness she's inside and getting good care now at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-23-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Pensive
Diamondgirl is on a distinguished road

Thank you Acerlt. I do think her belly is a bit to large for this to be worms. I do understand that the vet will spay a feral cat at any time during their pregnancy, but I don't have the heart to do that. I think we will just let nature take it's course and deal with the outcome.

With her stuck inside her room, at least we won't be adding any more kittens to the already huge feral population. Calico kittens are highly adoptable, so I should be able to find a few homes for a kitten. Of course I will require references, and a background check on any potential adoptive parent.

Tags
belly , care , cat , feral , heat , homes , house , in heat , kittens , pregnancy , pregnant , problem , rescue , spay , spayed , suggestions , vet

Sponsored Cat Links