It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-08-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

westfallcatxo is on a distinguished road
Question 4 Cat Drama. Need help

We recently introduced two rescued adult cats into our home. We already have two adult cats that have grown up together and were very happy until this happened. All cats being discussed are fixed. The two new cats are one female , Misfit and one male, Reverand. Our original cats one siamese female, Cabbage, and one male, Marilyn. The new cat Misfit is doing fine she minds her own business and doesnt bother our other cats very much at all. However Cabbage and Marilyn do not get along with Reverand at all and we wake up at all hours of night to cat fights, mostly between Marilyn and Reverand. Cabbage hisses and growls at Reverand when it doesnt seem he's doing anything to bother her, and than he just ignores her he doesnt hiss or growl back. I'm not sure who starts the fight between Rev and Marilyn,although, by the end of it, it seems Marilyn is the one on defense getting chased. We've tried putting Reverand outside right after a fight and he just meows and meows and I feel so bad because clearly he wants to be inside with us. We've tried locking him in a certain room and same thing.... what do we do to make this cat family work happily?!?!?!?
P.s. it has been about two weeks since introducing the new cats.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-09-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Just give it time. Two weeks is a very short span for cats to learn to get along with one another. It doesn't sound like you did a slow introduction which is what I would have suggested.

Hissing and growling is simply a way for cats to communicate, it's not really something to worry about.

Is there any actual physical fighting?

Make sure you have enough litter boxes (at least 5 for 4 cats) and elevated spaces for cats to perch and feel safe. A couple feliway plug in diffusers might help.

Feeding rituals can help, feed meals on a schedule basis setting each dish down in a specific spot for each cats, same spot each time. I don't recommend free feeding, or feeding any dry food at all.

Congratulations on the rescues!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-23-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

TTCapsule is on a distinguished road

Have you tried putting gates up in the doorway of the confinement room? So they are separated, but still can see and smell each other? I highly recommend viewing just about any episode of "My Cat from Hell" - that guy can really read cats, and he handles this kind of thing a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to TTCapsule For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-11-2014   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

catopia is on a distinguished road

My parents are also in the same situation with 2 rescued adult cats (also fixed). One male and one female, but in this case the home cat Zoey goes along with the male one, but both females don't go along at all.
Funny thing is that I have seen that behaviour among humans, haha.

But going back to the topic, after loong time, like 6+ months, they ignored each other or avoid each other, but if they cross, they still hiss.

You can also visit or contact us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 12-29-2014   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

CatLove24 is on a distinguished road

Thank for your post.
Unread 12-30-2014   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Is there an update?
I hope they worked out their issues and/or you went back and did an "introduction".

Tags
adult , business , cat , cats , dry , dry food , family , female , fighting , fights , fixed , food , free , growling , growls , happy , home , introduction , litter , litter boxes , male , new cats , night , siamese , wake , worry

Sponsored Cat Links