It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-17-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

joe01880 is on a distinguished road
Default Hungry Cat

Hello y'all,

This is my first post and it will be long, for me anyway. Sorry!
I have owned four in my 53 of years sharing this planet with you. My first I was a kid, one day he got out and ran away or so my mom told me. The second was a freak of nature, a gifted Maine Coon that was so large most of you would not believe me if I told you exactly how large he was. The third was a calico I myself rescued, she was semi feral and passed away 4 months ago at the grand old age of 24, she would be 25 this coming April. I had her a very long time.
A few months ago I got a rescue kitten, all black with semi long hair. All I was told is he was found in the woods. The vet put his age at 3 months old when I got him. He was found young enough he had not started to become feral. He is very friendly, loves people and gets along famously with my 5 y/o German Shepherd. The rescue that had him had him fostered in a home with about 8 other cats of various age and sizes and genders. He (Izzy) was the youngest of the bunch.
The other cats I have owned have all been on auto feeders and water bowls (gravity feeds) and did great on them. I never had a over eating problem in the entire 24 years I owned my Lucee. Izzy on the other hand is food insane. He is now roughly 6 months of age give or take, gets fed twice a day and goes as crazy for dry food as he does wet food, he is hungry all the time 24/7. I would love to put him on an auto feeder but im afraid to do it that he might eat until he is sick or explodes. Yes, I have had him to the vet twice to be checked for worms and as a precaution both times he was put on a dewormer. The rescue group I got him from also had him dewormed as a kitten. Does this food craze he has seem normal? Do you think it wise to even attempt an auto feeder? I do not want him to be overweight yet he gets plenty of exercise playing with my dog and myself. I'm worried about him being so hungry all the time.
Feedings are twice a day, 1/3 cp BB Wilderness dry for Kittens each time and two or three times a week wet food in its place. He is friendly, happy and playful, his coat is semi long, jet black and shiny.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Last edited by joe01880; 03-17-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-17-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Twice a day is not often enough for a kitten to eat.

Kittens need to be fed at least four times a day, as much as they want to eat, at each meal. I recommend you get rid of the dry food altogether, and feed him 2-3 ounces of canned food four times a day. Start with 3 oz, that will make 12 ounces a day. If he seems to be getting too heavy, cut back a little on each meal.

Feed foods high in identified meat protein, avoid foods with a lot of fillers like grains, glutens, or even fruits and vegetables which are high in carbohydrates, which converts to sugar, making him more hungry. No dry food.

He is hungry because he is not being fed often enough, and because he is not getting adequate nutrition from what he is being fed.

He sounds like a lovely boy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-17-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Twice a day is not often enough for a kitten to eat.

Kittens need to be fed at least four times a day, as much as they want to eat, at each meal. I recommend you get rid of the dry food altogether, and feed him 2-3 ounces of canned food four times a day. Start with 3 oz, that will make 12 ounces a day. If he seems to be getting too heavy, cut back a little on each meal.
He is not 6 weeks old he is 6 months old, leaving him to eat as much as he wants is my fear. He will eat constantly if I let him. His current eating schedule he is just the good size of heavy being fed 1/3cup twice a day.

Quote:
Feed foods high in identified meat protein
He is hungry because he is not being fed often enough, and because he is not getting adequate nutrition from what he is being fed.
He is being fed Blue Buffalo Wilderness for Kittens, it does not get much higher in nutrition then that, NO GRAINS!
I have read some breeds such as Bombay's will eat constantly if allowed, this is why I ask opinion/advice from "cat people" I do not consider myself an expert or even knowledgeable in cats. Dogs would be a different story and not to be gone in to here. I simply ask advice from folks who might take the time to actually read my first post fully and I am open to suggestion. Thanks again!
Unread 03-17-2015   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Twice a day isn't enough meal times for any cat and a six month old kitten should be eating at least four times a day.

He still is growing, and has boundless energy, he needs to refuel frequently.

Even an adult cat should be fed 3 times a day. The maximum span between meals for an adult cat should be 8-9 hours.

What I mean by "as much as he wants" is to put down say 2 ounces of canned food. If he eats that put down another ounce. Keep track of what you are feeding him so he doesn't over eat. A kitten of 6 months should be eating 10 - 12 ounces of canned food a day.

I don't mean free feed. I mean feed him more often, and feed him better food.

Blue Wilderness is not that great a brand, it is high in carbohydrates, and it is a dry food which is bad for cats regardless of what brand you feed, especially for male cats.

The ingredients I have bolded have no business being in cat food. Especially things like potatoes, tapioca and spinach. Spinach is especially bad for cats, very high in calcium oxalate. Bad enough it is a dry food, which will already predispose a male cat to urinary tract problems, without adding spinach and all those high carb potatoes, peas and other fruits and vegetables.

This food is 26% carbohydrates on a dry matter basis (23% as fed) and is DRY. A cat should have no more than 10% carbs in his diet.

In addition a cat needs to get moisture from his food, a cat will not, can not, drink enough water to counteract the dehydrating effects of a dry diet.

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Tapioca Starch, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Peas, Menhaden Fish Meal (source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Dried Egg, Pea Protein, Natural Flavor, Potatoes, Fish Oil (source of DHA-Docosahexaenoic Acid and ARA-Arachidonic Acid), Pea Fiber, Alfalfa Meal, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Potato Starch, Calcium Carbonate, Caramel, Taurine, DL-Methionine, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Sulfate, Salt, Ferrous Sulfate, Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin E Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Oil of Rosemary, L-Lysine, Parsley, Kelp, Blueberries, Cranberries, Apples, Spinach, Blackberries, Pomegranate, Pumpkin, Barley Grass, Turmeric, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Copper Sulfate, Biotin (Vitamin B7), Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Manganese Sulfate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, L-Carnitine, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Calcium Iodate, Dried Yeast, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus niger fermentation extract, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, Sodium Selenite.

Get your little boy on a canned diet and feed him four times a day 2-3 oz per meal. Feed pate foods more often than "chunks in gravy" styles. Pate foods are generally lower in carbs because they don't have the thickeners the gravy styles need..

Ever thought of feeding a raw diet?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-19-2015   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:

Ever thought of feeding a raw diet?
Yes and its not an option. For the last several hundred years people have gone out of their way domesticating cats. Look at how the Siamese has been perverted and in dogs the ridiculous angulation of the Garman Shepherd all by so called reputable breeders seeking to improve the breed.
Same to be said for raw diets, my cat is not a wild cat and I am expecting him to far out live the life expectancy of feral or wild cats which are the closest you will come to cats eating in the wild sustaining on a Raw diet. My last cast lived 24 years, I must be doing something right in the long run. In place of typing a long post that can be found on the side of any food I might feed my cat as for ingredients ,maybe please suggest something you know to be better for my cat than Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon cat food. Raw is a gimmick not unlike use of the word "Chipotle". I will continue to believe that until someone can show me long term benefits to compare with those of quality brands of cat food available to the average consumer.
I do not wish to get into a debate here, I simply am looking on advice on if my cats behavior is normal and what are good quality foods to feed my cat I have not asked about prices, just what would be the best with hopefully more than one person chiming in. Meow Mix sustained my Lucee for 24 years with no health issues during her entire life. I figure using a high quality food may be better and my new cat might live even long, outliving me and this place of my age in time.

Thanks,

Joe
Unread 03-20-2015   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I already told you what I think is behind your kitten's behavior. You are not feeding him often enough, and you are not feeding him a species appropriate diet.

Put your kitten on an all canned low carb diet and feed him 2-3 ounces four times a day. It will be much much better for him, he will feel better, more satisfied and you will reduce the likelihood of many diseases.

Raw is not a "gimmick" Cats may be domesticated but their insides are no different. Cats are strict obligate carnivores. They need diets high in meat and moisture to thrive, not tapioca and peas.

If you ever decide to make that switch, you will be amazed, stunned, at the difference. But even feeding an all wet diet will make a big difference.

And Blue is not a good nor trustworthy company.

Longevity isn't everything, quality of life matters, too. The pet food companies want you to believe that their food is good for your cat, it is not. You are not the first person to fall for marketing gimmicks and you are not the last.

Time to break out of the brainwashing, and think for yourself. Read about feline nutrition!

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health (written by a vet who specializes in feline nutrition)

www.catnutriton.org (lots of good info about feeding your carnivore)

please read this first
Unread 03-20-2015   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Put your kitten on an all canned low carb diet and feed him 2-3 ounces four times a day. It will be much much better for him, he will feel better, more satisfied and you will reduce the likelihood of many diseases.
Thank you!
Unread 06-02-2015   #8 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Kittens need to be fed at least four times a day, as much as they want to eat, at each meal. I recommend you get rid of the dry food altogether, and feed him 2-3 ounces of canned food four times a day.
Unread 06-02-2015   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Happy
adamclare33 is on a distinguished road

site blocks my posts for no reason, i remove all my posts

Last edited by adamclare33; 06-06-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: bad website
Unread 05-11-2016   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

mic.alan is on a distinguished road

Helpful topic!

Tags
advice , age , art , black , cat , cats , crazy , diet , dog , dry , dry food , eating , feral , fiber , food , found , friendly , great , happy , home , kitten , kittens , maine coon , nutrition , opinion , overweight , playing , problem , raw , sick , vet , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links