It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-19-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

KittyDesires is on a distinguished road
Smile Butter myth

Hi,

Sorry not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I heard this from my mother, and not sure how healthy it is for my cat but the myth goes; if you put butter on cats paws when you move into a new house, and keep him inside for a few days, he will lick off the old smell of the previous house so he would not run away as easily from the new house.

I've tried this and it seems to work, but ide just like to know if their is any fact to this? And how unhealthy is it giving them butter?

Thanks

Last edited by KittyDesires; 08-20-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-20-2015   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

KittyDesires is on a distinguished road

Quick added question, would it make a difference on what kid of butter you use? There must be healthier versions that can be used maybe?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-20-2015   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It's a myth. Keep your cat inside for at least one month so he can orient himself and his personal space in his world. Then start taking him out supervised only, for a little while longer until he gets used to his own yard and territory.

But first, please make sure your new neighborhood is SAFE for cats. I personally think cats should be kept inside, but I know not everyone feels that way.

To answer your question, butter really isn't "good" for cats. Cats need meat and the products of meat. Feed your cat a canned or raw diet, no kibble and no butter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-16-2015   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Often given as advice when someone moves house and is letting the cat outside for the first time, but completely untrue.

A much better way of making sure your cat comes home is to:

1.Keep the cat indoors for 2 weeks so it knows that the new house is 'home' and safe.

2.Make sure your cat is micro chipped so even if he/she does wander off and gets lost there's a good chance of being reunited (make sure you change the microchip information about cat with your new address)
Unread 01-01-2016   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Brooding
toperznie is on a distinguished road

i garee that this is a myth
Unread 02-25-2016   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Zoe Carballo is on a distinguished road

Yup it's an old wives tale! As everyone has said before just keep the cat inside for a week -1 month (time varies depending on the cat). The reason it may have appeared to work is that the cat would have been scent marking anyway while inside the new house. You can't lick away scent as far as I'm aware!

The cat is unlikely to run away. It just might get lost if let out too soon and without supervision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice , art , cat , cat behavior , cats , diet , healthy , home , house , lost , question , raw , smell , tale

Sponsored Cat Links