It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-19-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Jumi is on a distinguished road
Default Litterbox problems

I have five cats. A few weeks ago I was ill, and I didn't clean out the litterbox quickly enough when it needed it. Most of the cats just went to the bathroom in front of the litterbox, right next to it, which was easy to clean up, no problem. But one of my cats decided to start going to the bathroom on the bed.

So after the litterbox was cleaned, the other cats continued to use the litterbox and it was cleaned regularly. The other cat, Harlowe, still went to the bathroom on the bed. It got so bad he would use the bathroom on the blanket at night while my wife slept (I work nights). Finally we kicked the cats out of the bedroom.

We thought this would fix it, but no. After this he started to go to the bathroom in the living room, on the couch, in the chair, sometimes on the carpet under the desk. Again, he is the only cat that does this. The others use the litterbox.

He is male and neutered. There are four other cats, two boys and two girls, also all neutered. They all eat and drink the same things. He is probably around five or six years old, around the middle of the pack as far as the ages of the cats go.

My wife wants to get rid of him, and I'm probably going to put him outside on a fenced in porch since I don't want to take him to the animal shelter. Why is he doing this? What can I do to fix it? Why won't he just use the litterbox anymore like the rest of the cats?

Thanks for the help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-19-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Please take your male cat to the vet right away. These are blatant signs of urinary tract infection, which, in a male cat, can become fatal very quickly. He is most likely in a lot of pain and banishing him to outside will not solve his problem, it could kill him, and the bladder bursting is an agonizing way to die.

Delaying vet treatment, in addition to prolonging his suffering, at the very least can lead to kidney infection and life long problems.

He may have tried to hold it when the boxes were dirty causing stress and illness. Or he picked up bacteria from the dirty box.

This is very serious, your cat is probably feeling pretty bad by now.

If you are feeding a dry diet, the situation is even more critical. Dry food is very bad for cats, creating a low level chronic dehydration that makes a cat even more prone to urinary tract and kidney illness.

(If you do feed a dry diet, I urge you to start transitioning your cats to a wet diet right away.)

Did I misunderstand? Or do you really only have one litter box for five cats?

Please please add more boxes for their toileting needs. They must be under terrible stress with so little choice of where to toilet. Even if it doesn't appear so to you, you need to realize cats hide stress, illness and pain until they are in agony.

Most cats prefer one place to pee and another place to poop. With multiple cats using the same places, they certainly need even more choice.

Hope kitty is okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-19-2017   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Jumi is on a distinguished road

I realize I was not clear when I said "going to the bathroom."

It's not urine. It's feces. He poops where he should not poop, while ignoring the litterbox.
Unread 01-19-2017   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Okay. Then I return to the issue of only one litter box among 5 cats.

Add more litter boxes. If the problem continues consider he may need de-worming, or may be constipated.

Feed a wet only diet to ensure he (all of them) are well hydrated and not constipated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
animal , art , carpet , cat , cats , clean , dry , food , hey , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , litterbox , litterbox problems , male , night , problem , problems , shelter , urine , vet

Sponsored Cat Links