It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-22-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

snow.day is on a distinguished road
Default rehomed stray with bloated stomach + soft stools + frequent urination

Hi there,
I took in a stray cat two weeks ago. He was severely dehydrated and very underweight. I immediately took him to a charity who wormed, de-flead, neutered him and gave him antibiotics (I think in case he had respiritory problems) and bisolven as he had cat flu too. They kept him in overnight, but asked if I could pick him up the next day, which I did. Since then he seems to finally be over the flu mostly and is much less dehydrated/undernourished.

The reason I am concerned however, is that he has, since he first arrived, had very soft stools, initially diarrhea, and a very bloated stomach which is constantly gurgling, and causing him to burp every so often. It looks very uncomfortable. He also drinks a LOT of water, and urinates frequently, and a lot at once.

I am feeding him small amounts of 100% chicken complete cat food frequently, along with some dry 100% chicken dry food. I have also been mixing in small amounts of food grade diatomaceous earth and bentonite clay in order to try and help with his digestion, in case there is a blockage. His stools are more solid since I have been adding the clay and DE, but it doesn't seem to have affected the bloating much.

Is there a product I could give him to help relieve the bloating? It has gone down a few times, but then appeared again soon after. I realise the best thing I can do is take him to a vet, bc I'm aware a lot of the symptoms could be pointing to serious underlying issues, but I have spent so much money the last couple of weeks unexpectedly, I'm hoping there is some way of helping him myself for now. In case it's relevant, he is around 1 year old.

Many thanks for reading !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-22-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the rescue!

Well he's had a lot to cope with the past few days, and he's probably had no good food in a long time so his digestion is bound to be messed up.

The bloating is a big concern. I understand the DE, but please stop with the bentonite clay right away. Why are you using that? That's what they put in litter to make it clump, it could really cause havoc on his insides.

The DE and the dewormer from the vet should have taken care of the basic parasites, hook, round and tape worm, but he may have worse problems, giardia or coccidia. Those have to be tested for with a culture, and yes it is expensive.

Perhaps he has an intolerance to chicken, but I would't worry about that just yet.

Add a good probioitic. PLUS s.boulardii (or a combo product)

Info about probiotics here:

Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats

So I would stop the DE and clay, continue with the canned food, maybe try a different protein, throw away the dry food, and add a good
probiotic and s.boulardii

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-22-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-22-2017   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Another useful link

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do? - Food Fur Life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-25-2017   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

snow.day is on a distinguished road

@acerlt - I can't thank you enough for your help and advice.
I read the article on probiotics you sent, ordered some bioglan which arriived this morning, so I have already given him two 1/2 cap doses alongside changing his wet food to a sensitive Turkey only based food by Mac's as recommended by someone else.

Following your advice, I stopped with the bentonite clay (the reason I had given him this which was pure, and food grade btw, was bc I had read in a few places that it helped with diahrrea - which it seemed to help harden the poos slightly, but as you say, I don't think it was a solution to the cause of the problem).

I've also stopped the DE for now. I was mainly giving him that in case it helped with any obstructions/worms that may have been lurking. Having checked the worming treatment he was given initially by the vet, it seemed to cover most worms, but not Giardia - which after researching, seems to be very likely the cause of his stomach distension, yellowish greasy diahrrea and dehydration. In fact all his symptoms point to this, and the fact that when I first found him, he was drinking water out of a dirty mop bucket point me to this. I've ordered some granules to give him to treat this.

So, since stopping the dry food/bentonite and starting the clean turkey food and probiotics, he has already stopped drinking crazy amounts of water for the first time in 2 weeks and seems to have a lot more energy already. Things are definitely looking up!

I'll post his progress as things continue.
Thanks so so much again, you have been an incredible help and we're both very grateful there are such caring people like you who are willing to take the time to help x
Unread 01-25-2017   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thank you so much for the update! I'm so glad to know your boy is doing better! Are you in the UK? (you mentioned Mac's cat food) I have seen Mac's recommended a lot in a UK forum.

Also, in the US you'd have to have the cat's feces tested and treated by prescription from a vet. Can you do that?

What if there's more than just giardia going on? That is often the case with stray cats.

He's already seen the vet so you wouldn't have to bring him in, just some poop, and tell them what you suspect and ask for a culture. That's usually sent out to a lab, which is why it is expensive. But, it will be less costly in the long run, if there is more than giardia and other things continue to go untreated.

I would be reluctant to treat without a specific diagnosis.

I'd love to hear how you came to be Chosen by him, if you feel like telling

please read this first

Tags
advice , antibiotics , bloated , canned food , cat , cat food , diarrhea , dry , dry food , food , found , hey , litter , money , morning , problems , rescue , small , stop , stray , uncomfortable , vet , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links