It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 4 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

WorriedMommy is on a distinguished road
Default Sick kitty, baffled vet. Please read.

My baby has always had signs of IBD. He would regurg semi-frequently, and was put on Cisapride and Lactulose 3 years ago for severe constipation. His coat got bristly and oily, etc. But lately we had a health event where he started vomiting large hairballs. I overreacted and gave him tons of hairball laxative. This caused him to start vomiting a great deal. He lost a bit of weight and I took the advice of the Petsmart employee to give him dry kitten food (he's never been fed dry) to get his weight up. This made him violently sick and he began violently vomiting several times a day, several times a week. The doctor examined him and put him on prednisolone to see if it would help to confirm IBD symptoms. His vomiting got immediately better. In the first week he only vomited twice. The first time there was none of the usual howling involved. Just a very gentle experience. The second time, 2 days later, was the last event until today. So it is drastically reduced, but not gone. He's been put on prescription diet and that helps.

He has been licking his lips a lot. The doctor said it could be acid reflux or nausea. But he doesn't seem to have the symptoms of acid reflux. He licks a lot a bit after he eats. If I get him to speak, he'll often lick then. I thought acid reflux, like maybe he's sore and it hurts to speak. But he's not pawing at his face or throat and doesn't howl any time except before he's going to get violently ill.

I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here, and the doctor isn't completely sure either. But the steroids have made a great improvement. I just wish I knew what to do to get him better.

Any thoughts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Never ever EVER take advice from a pet store employee. I hope you are not feeding the dry any more.

Please go to this website for help. If you are on Facebook you can get real-time help. It might be worth making an account even if you aren't on FB, just to get the help on the IBD group.

Raw Feeding for IBD Cats - Home

Never take the advice of a pet store employee they don't know anything!

Go to this website:

Raw Feeding for IBD Cats - Home

and join the FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RawFedIBD

You'll get the help you need.

And if you haven't throw that dry crap away!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
advice , baby , constipation , diet , dry , food , great , health , ibd , kitten , kitten food , kitty , licking , lost , nausea , pet , petsmart , sick , smart , steroids , thoughts , vet , vomiting , weight

Sponsored Cat Links