It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-30-2009   #21 (permalink)
Newborn

LovUBritt1129 is on a distinguished road

My cats have bitten me before, usually out of paly but they have bitten me when I scared them and when i rubbed theor bellies. My cat Muffin and Angel however love their tummies rubbed
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-30-2009   #22 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Kittens will bite because they think they are playing but whenever my kittens would go to bite me or bite me even I would take my hand or arm away and look at them in their little face and say sternly NO BITE and I would say that everytime they went to bite. Now Darby will lick me only and knows not to bite and Liam still trys to bite sometimes but is getting the message. Zipper has never bitten me even as a kitten. The only time they have drawn blood is when I have something dangling and want to grab it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-12-2010   #23 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road

I think we are talking about two different kinds of bites. The last bite from my cat involved all 4 fangs instantly penetrating full depth, and one of the fangs hitting a vein causing several tablespoons of blood to spurt out like a geyser. The area around one of the punctures is still swollen and hard a month later. I am on amoxycillin at the moment. BUT I must say that since putting his leash harness on again, he hasn't been agressive at all. I also put some jingle bells on his harness so that I and the other cats know when he is nearby and moving. He actually seems to LIKE his harness and bells.
Unread 02-17-2010   #24 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cool
Mokie is on a distinguished road

OMG shuranda I am so sorry to here that you got bitten so bad.

With my current 4 cats and other 2 that passed away, they are not allowed to show any "aggressive" or "dominant" behavior towards me since they were all kittens (some still are kittens) I would flick their nose (it does not hurt them but shows you are boss) at the 1st sign of trouble (even hissing) and it has worked!! I have never been bitten, even when I am having to do something they don't like (ex. going to vet or taking a bath). I have also found that in a situation were you are having to correct behavior you do not break eye contact with them 1st, let them look away..... this is also reassuring them you are boss no questions.

I think that the if you use these little tricks from day one or start them and be consistent with it you should never be bitten Hope it helps

Oh and lots of cuddles after they do the right thing to show them you are not upset with them
Unread 02-18-2010   #25 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road
Default Tweaking a naughty kitty.

Excellent ideas that I wish I had considered more before I got bitten badly 3 times in 4 months. Since putting the leash halter thing on with the bells, he has been no trouble at all. One thing you didn't mention that I found very effective is a water filled spray bottle. Also, they really don't like being locked out in the garage for a couple of hours - even though they sneak into the garage on their own at times.
Be careful with flicking the nose. When Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy bopped his favorite tiger Montecore on the nose several times, Montecore first knocked him on the floor with a smack from his incredibly powerful paw, and then tried picking him up gently by his neck - but a fang penetrated Roy's neck and skull and nearly killed him. I shudder to think what my kittys would do top me if they weighed as much as Oprah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokie View Post
With my current 4 cats and other 2 that passed away, they are not allowed to show any "aggressive" or "dominant" behavior towards me since they were all kittens (some still are kittens) I would flick their nose (it does not hurt them but shows you are boss) at the 1st sign of trouble (even hissing) and it has worked!! I have never been bitten, even when I am having to do something they don't like (ex. going to vet or taking a bath). I have also found that in a situation were you are having to correct behavior you do not break eye contact with them 1st, let them look away..... this is also reassuring them you are boss no questions.

Oh and lots of cuddles after they do the right thing to show them you are not upset with them
Unread 02-18-2010   #26 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cool
Mokie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuranda View Post
When Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy bopped his favorite tiger Montecore on the nose several times, Montecore first knocked him on the floor with a smack from his incredibly powerful paw, and then tried picking him up gently by his neck - but a fang penetrated Roy's neck and skull and nearly killed him. I shudder to think what my kittys would do top me if they weighed as much as Oprah.
Ya the was horrible, but that was a tiger. I would never even try to attempt to handle a wild "domesticated" cat, let alone try to correct it's behavior, with out protective gear on. My sister did one time and like you ended up on antibiotics too, she almost had to have surgery on it because it got so badly infected. I guess it comes down to knowing your cat and building that respect and trust.

I'm glad the harness is working, maybe it is giving him a sense of security and therefor he is being less aggressive. Hope your finger heals well
Unread 03-21-2010   #27 (permalink)
Newborn

Duncan'sMommy is on a distinguished road

My 7 month old bites lightly during play and sometimes even when I am just petting him while he's relaxing. He never looks mad or acts upset, he's just being playful. We started making fake crying noises when he bites and he stops immediately. He hasn't learned not to yet, but at least we found a way to make him stop.

Tags
advice , aggression , aggressive , agressive , angry , animal , antibiotics , art , attacking , baby , behavior , bite , bites , biting , box , breeds , car , care , cat , cats , crying , dog , dogs , eating , eye , eyes , family , fighting , fights , food , friends , girl , growling , growls , hey , hiss , hissing , hurt , infection , kitten , litter box , mistake , moving , new york , nose , paw , pee , pet , play , playing , puppy , scared , scary , scream , sick , sleep , sleeping , small , stop , surgery , timid , type , window

Sponsored Cat Links