It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-17-2006   #1 (permalink)
jones6

Default What age do they use litter?

I still have to manually stimulate my 4 week old to relieve himself. at what age can i expect him to start using a cat litter, and how will i know that he is ready?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-19-2006   #2 (permalink)
CatzXena.

Start trying at 4 weeks
Thats usually a good time...
If he doesn't get it after a few weeks its fine sometimes it takes a long time. Good luck!
How old is he by the way?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-02-2006   #3 (permalink)
jones6

He is 4 weeks, well a bit old now, around 5-6 weeks i think, its hard to tell as we dont know when he was born exactly.
But he did a pee on the floor last week, and now is starting to use the litter most of the time!

Unread 08-03-2006   #4 (permalink)
CatzXena.

Try giving him a fuss or\and treat when he uses it.

Unread 08-03-2006   #5 (permalink)
jones6

Good idea!
sometimes he goes next to the litter though, how do i stop him doing that?

Unread 08-04-2006   #6 (permalink)
CatzXena.

Try a bigger litter box and put a big newspaper under it.
I have lots of experence with this!!!

Unread 01-12-2007   #7 (permalink)
blueberrycheesecake

A kitten can learn to use toilet at the age of just three weeks. A cat of more than six months age can be easily trained to use toilet. So maybe they can also be trained to use the litter box at that age of 3 weeks and since your cat is 4 weeks old, he may start.

Last edited by blueberrycheesecake; 01-12-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Unread 01-12-2007   #8 (permalink)
ChristineP

We started training when the kitties were about 4 weeks old. We already had a big litter box for Penelope, the mother cat. We made a smaller litter box for the kittens and put it next to the be litter box. They would see their mother use the big litter box and knew what to do. They never used it outside the makeshift litter box when they were smaller, and they eventually started using the big litter box. We did have one problem with Blackie. He absolutely HATES stepping in litter. When we had the old litter box he tried to get on the sides and use it. Sometimes he couldn't do that, so he left little presents on the floor next to the litter box or on a rug in the family room. At first we couldn't figure out why he done that. Then we got a littermaid and he can stand on the edge of the litter box and do what he needs to do. Ever since we got the littermaid, we haven't had any little presents to deal with. Weird cat!

Unread 01-18-2007   #9 (permalink)
mccats9876

I start the process early, as soon as their eyes are open. After bottle feeding, I will set them in the cat box, and gently take their little paws, and dig a little hole in the litter. Then, I sort of trot them around, then stimulate them to urinate. The urine training is a snap. Even for ferals brought in as babies. The other takes a little bit of time, but usually some trail-blazing kitten will naturally defecate after being stimulated to urinate. When he is done, I usually sort of trot them back around, and gently take their paws and bury it. We have trained so many kitties like this, and all are good, reliable cat box users, who know just what to do, and do it.

Unread 01-18-2007   #10 (permalink)
Rocky

I got lucky with my cat. I got him at 4 weeks old and I put the kitty litter down straight away. He went to it himself and I never had to do any training!

Tags
age , art , babies , box , cat , clean , defecate , eyes , family , hey , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , litter , litter box , lucky , pee , problem , problems , sick , small , stop , training , urine , weird

Sponsored Cat Links