It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-02-2006   #1 (permalink)
himilover

Default Scratch post

Hi Everyone,

My Himalayan was trained by the breeder to use a scratch post. He's never ever scratched anything but that.

Now I have a little kitten who is about 8 weeks old and I am wondering how I can get him on track with the scratching post too?? He doesn't scratch much yet, but I am worried about the future, as my moms cats have completely destroyed her couches.

Thanks for any advice.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-02-2006   #2 (permalink)
muslgrl

when he starts scratching on anything else just pick him up and move him to the post move his lttle paws like scratching he get the idea

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-03-2006   #3 (permalink)
Becca

Yeah i agree with that. Also make sure the bottom part of your post isn't the same colour as the carpet so that they know it's a different thing. And if just moving him doesn't work then telling him "no" might help as well, if he does ever scratch anything he shouldn't.

Unread 10-03-2006   #4 (permalink)
Tick-n-Thistle

The main thing is consistency, just as when training any animal. I agree with muslgrl's technique of showing the kitten where it's okay to scratch. Once he starts to get the idea, you can discourage him from scratching in the wrong place by spritzing him with water. Just get a spray bottle (like you'd use for plants) and fill it with water. Keep it handy and give him a quick shot when he starts to scratch the furniture. I find it's most effective when you set it to shoot a long, narrow stream so you can get him from a distance. He won't really know where it came from and he won't like it but it won't hurt him either! Good luck!

Tags
advice , animal , breeder , carpet , cats , fur , furniture , hey , himalayan , hurt , kitten , moving , scratch , scratching , training , water

Sponsored Cat Links