It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-08-2006   #1 (permalink)
Temra

Default Killing, but not eating.

I am having a little trouble with my cat. She will kill a bird, but she will not eat it. She brings it into the house and then just leaves it there. She doesn't even touch it at all after she has brought it in. So, I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to stop this from happening. I would also like to know why this would be happening. I have been around cats all my life, but have never known any to do this.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-08-2006   #2 (permalink)
steelycat

This is just my imagination teasing me. Perhaps your cat is a born hunter and after catching his prey he left it there maybe for you to eat it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-09-2006   #3 (permalink)
Temra

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. I hadn't really known cats to do that though. I have only known them to come back and show off what they have caught before they ate it, not just bring in things to stockpile up.

Unread 10-09-2006   #4 (permalink)
himilover

My cats will do this once in a great while also. Never figured out why. Most of the time they are pretty good at eating what they kill though.

Unread 10-09-2006   #5 (permalink)
lpstong

I only have one cat that does that. It is the oldest female. She is fixed as well. Will bring birds and mice as well.

I would think it would be instinctual or just naturally born hunter. For my cat here in the pic is the one that does the hunting.

And when I adopted her she was barely a week or two old. She barely walked, had the afterbirth still on her and her eyes were still closed and were infected. I guess her mother had died. So my daughter and I did everything for her till she was old enough to take care of herself. She is blind or partially blind. She seems to follow things for the most part. But I am still amazed she can see much, much less catch things with her eye problems she currently has now. This is why I would think they are born hunters and do it on instinct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bfa6.jpg (9.7 KB, 2 views)

Unread 10-09-2006   #6 (permalink)
Tick-n-Thistle

Sometimes our cat Lucy will do this, but she leaves it on the porch or drops it at our feet if we are outside. My husband has a very good instinctual understanding of animals, and one time it occured to him that she needed permission from him since he is the authority figure in her life. So he squatted down and sort of pawed at the bird a little, acknowledging that it was there, telling her she was a good girl, and it was okay. Then he walked away from it and she started to eat it.
We think that she brought it home to the "pride" for us to eat, and she would only eat it after she knew we didn't want it and gave her permission.
Now, I know not everyone wants to touch a dead bird, but if you push it around a little with a stick or something it should have the same effect, just be sure to praise her as you do it.

Unread 10-09-2006   #7 (permalink)
CrystalCat

Well, you are right. Most cats are born hunters and its strictly instincts to kill the bird. However, it’s not like its ancestors and it has no need to eat it. I highly doubt it’s killing it for you to eat. So, the cat is just killing due to instincts. And I am not aware of any way to stop it either, sorry.

Unread 11-10-2006   #8 (permalink)
vp311

Your kitty is bringing the birds to your house as an offering. I'm not sure how to stop it. Cats are natural hunters, and this is a sign that she is healthy so I wouldn't worry to much over it. Taking care of the dead birds is a pain thougn.

Unread 01-04-2007   #9 (permalink)
outdoorcat

Default Killing but not eating

In our area, we have a lot of moles. Moles look very similar to field mice but they have extremely short tails. Our cats often kill them out in the yard and we sometimes find them when mowing or raking. The thing is my husband says that a cat will not eat a mole. They do eat mice or give the mice to their kitten to play with and eat. We were wondering why they wouldn't eat the moles because they look so similar to mice. I said maybe its the same way chicken and turkey taste different although they look similar. Maybe there are other toxins or something in moles too.

Also, I have found a squirrel that one our cats killed and a chipmunk as well as a couple birds. They were pretty mauled but not eaten. They were around the area where we tie the dog but I know the dog didn't kill them, and the dog didn't eat them either. One of our cats has mothered a lot of kittens and she used to always bring them mice to play with. Although she is some older now, it appears she is killing these other animals and bringing them to the dog as a sort of peace and friendship offering.

Unread 01-08-2007   #10 (permalink)
ChristineP

Two of our cats catch mice and bring them on the porch. They use to eat them, but now they don't. They will just kill them and leave them on the rug for us to step on. They will also kill moles, ground squirrels, and birds. I love to hang hummingbird feeders on the back porch during the spring and summer, I have to make our cat Tiger stay away from it or he will stalk the feeder and try to kill a hummingbird. He has succeeded before. Tiger is also bad about killing lizards and bringing them in the house half alive. Even today, I found a stiff lizard in the den floor by the door. I guess he thought we would like some lizard for supper.

Tags
adopted , birds , care , cat , catching , cats , dog , eating , eyes , female , fixed , found , gift , gifts , girl , great , groom , healthy , hey , home , house , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , natural , not eating , play , problems , stop , turkey , worry

Sponsored Cat Links