It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-11-2006   #1 (permalink)
KIKI

Default eating clothes and cords

My cat is one year old and he has been eating electrical wiring. He will also eat holes in my sweat shirts,shoes and my leather gloves.What can we I do?If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-12-2006   #2 (permalink)
aja3171

It sounds like you have a normal, inquisitive kitten. But chewing on electrical cords is quite dangerous. Cayenne pepper spray or bitter apple spray can deter some cats from chewing. You can also cover the cords with paper towel tubing or PVC pipe. Your kitty should lose house privileges unless someone is home to supervise him. When you're not at home, put him in a room with no cords.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-12-2006   #3 (permalink)
vp311

Yeah, I agree. If your kitty is chewing on things you don't want him too, I suggest putting some kind of deterent on those items. Such as, cayene pepper or something along those lines.

Unread 11-12-2006   #4 (permalink)
stormy

Maybe he is a bit late in loosing baby teeth, and is teething...maybe try a good 'kitty chew' to distract him...and hide and spray the cords..and clothes that he loves....or, maybe check with the vet for dental problems..or if you see him doing it, distract him with a catnip covered toy !!! Bribery is sometimed effective !

Unread 01-04-2007   #5 (permalink)
softpaws

Lightbulb

If you happen to be there when he is chewing you need to get him away and scold him firmly. Since the cords are electrical the traditional water spritz probably isn't a good idea. You'll having him singing "You Light Up My Life" but it will be slightly off key!! If it's possible, hide the cords under or behind furniture (without restricting it). If all else fails, try using duct tape to tape the cords down to the floor flat or into the corner between the wall and the floor like they would in a theatre on the stage to keep others from tripping when cords run everywhere backstage.

Tags
age , baby , cat , catnip , cats , chewing , eating , fur , furniture , hey , home , house , kitten , kitty , problems , shoes , suggestions , traditional , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links