It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-01-2006   #1 (permalink)
Rocky

Default Scratching The Lounge

My cat Rocky is 3 and he insists on scratching our lounge. He has a scratching post but he never uses it.

He such a little horror!

When I tell him to stop and walk towards him he starts doing it really quickly to fit in as many scratches as he can before I get there! lol. What can I do to stop him scratching it?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-01-2006   #2 (permalink)
Buttrfly

They make spray to repel cats from different things that you don't want them to scratch or be on. Maybe you can try that?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-01-2006   #3 (permalink)
Rocky

Oh Im definately going to have to try that. Ive had to put a towel on his part of the lounge so he doesnt get fur on it, but, every night he ends up sleeping on the other part. A big repellent barrier around the lounge is just what I need!

Unread 12-08-2006   #4 (permalink)
wendywenpet

I would suggest having a little spray bottle of water close by and when you catch him doing it just spray a little bit of water on him. Very hard to do when you are not there but when you are he may get the picture. Eventually, you won't have to spray him 'cause once he sees you pick up the bottle he will stop.

I have done this with my female cat, Egor, and then I walk her over to her scratching post.

And the repellents are good too!!

Unread 12-27-2006   #5 (permalink)
aja3171

LOL that's funny about your cat doing it quickly, reminds me of my nephew when he does something that he knows I wouldn't like.

Unread 12-30-2006   #6 (permalink)
outdoorcat

Default A few possible suggestions.

They sell catnip spray too. Maybe you could put catnip spray on the places you want the cat to go and repellant spray to keep it away from the places it shouldn't go. Just an idea, but it would be a double reinforcement for your cat. As well, you could give verbal reinforcement either positive or negative as needed when you see the cat scratching either his post or the lounge. Another thing might be to pick him up and physically move him away from the lounge as you say NO. They used to teach that type of training in a child care class I was in once. I don't think it would work for cats but another child care class taught verbal suggestion of some other positive behavior at the same time. I suppose you could pick up the cat and say NO and move him to the place he is supposed to scratch and say "Why don't we do this instead?". Maybe a fresh spray of catnip spray on the post at the same time? And praise him when he does the right thing.

Unread 04-24-2009   #7 (permalink)
ckops

Default do cats scratch leather couches

I have a leather couch. I will be adopting a siamese cat soon. I know cats are attracted to fabric, but I did not have leather with my previous kitties. Any ideas?

Unread 04-24-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckops View Post
I have a leather couch. I will be adopting a siamese cat soon. I know cats are attracted to fabric, but I did not have leather with my previous kitties. Any ideas?
Hi, welcome to the forum ! Glad that you'll have your siamese kitty soon. Tell you frankly, cats are addicted to all kinds of fabrics, especially leather.. Not much you can do... train him to "play" with a more attractive scratch post.. show him yourself how to scratch (this is what I learnt before). Felliway is recommended, it works too.
As for my kitties... I won't get surprised if they want to scratch our fur-nitures, as I see them as family members in the same household, sharing the same fur-nitures... they too have the right to scratch, but I'll try to redirect their interest, if they still insist, as I said, they have the right, unless I don't buy expensive fur-niture (I'm even ready to let them ruin my nice pure cashmere carpet if they like it) !

PS : Initially, fur-niturre was not designed for human, but for our furry babies instead... BTW, what happened to your previous kitties ? I hope they were not dumped .. coz I couldn't stop thinking abt the fate of your new kitty...when there are too many pet dumping cases out there... As for mine, I'll NEVER ever want to give up on them, as long as I live !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 04-24-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Unread 04-26-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

I have leather furniture and the cats don't seem to scratch it I did find with material that they definitely would scratch it so maybe they wont with yours.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 04-26-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I also have leather sofas and neither of my two use them to scratch, they much prefer material

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx

Tags
babies , behavior , care , carpet , cat , catnip , cats , cool , female , fun , funny , fur , furniture , hey , interesting , kitties , kitty , love , nice , night , picture , play , scratch , scratching , siamese , sleeping , stop , suggestions , training , type , water

Sponsored Cat Links