It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-20-2006   #1 (permalink)
softpaws

Question Licking while being petted?

We have a male cat who is fixed who has a really weird habit. He will lick whatever surface is in front of him when you start stroking his back. As long as you stroke his back he will lick and lick. It can be a blanket, a sheet, a sweater, or a hard surface like a desk or he might even lick a piece of paper. The licking is always in a very fast rythm and doesn't depend on the frequency or firmness of the patting.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-20-2006   #2 (permalink)
wendywenpet

Could be associated with nursing!!! If he was taken away from his mother too early.. could be the answer..

I know my Egor will knead the covers constanstly when she is starting to have a nap... and at night when I go to bed she constantly licks at my hand... whichever is available... and if I pull away she digs her claws in me and pull my hand toward her and continues licking. I think it is a maternal thing or something.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-21-2006   #3 (permalink)
softpaws

I know he wasn't taken away from his mother too early because his mother still lives with us. I do know that this particular mother was very insistent about weaning her kittens when SHE was ready and not when they were ready. My aunt had this beautiful long haired calico who would suck on your shirt or hair when you picked her up and that was because she was separated too early from her mother. It was an interesting suggestion though.

Unread 12-21-2006   #4 (permalink)
wendywenpet

Sounds like kitty wants to wean (or simulate it) when she wants to as her mother only did it when she wanted to with the kitties. Does that make sense?? I wouldn't be concerned over it.

Unread 12-27-2006   #5 (permalink)
aja3171

Sounds like it. How about gving him a bottle of milk to see if he will suck the nipples. He could be thirsty.

Unread 12-27-2006   #6 (permalink)
softpaws

Default Licking while being petted...continued.

I don't think he's thirsty. He always has plenty of fresh water available in the house near his food dish and he always goes to the brook near our house or finds a puddle. Anyway, I'm not really worried. It just seems to be something associated with affection and comfort. It's just kind of amusing that he will lick whatever is near whether its his own paws or some other soft surface like the upholstry. Sometimes its even a table top or telephone or other hard surface. He seems very healthy otherwise. It's just a funny habit.

Unread 12-27-2006   #7 (permalink)
stormy

About sleeping on the record player...move the record player!!! You know the cat will not change it's habits...so, you can try to fool him ...good luck with out-smarting a cat!!!

Unread 12-27-2006   #8 (permalink)
stormy

Maybe he just has an 'itchy' back..mine does the same thing sometimes...just when I scratch her in certain spots..like she is cleaning herself..who knows what motivates these critters!!

Unread 12-27-2006   #9 (permalink)
wendywenpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy View Post
who knows what motivates these critters!!

Stormy , I couldn't agree with you more!!! As long as they seem happy and healthy not to worry.

Unread 12-29-2006   #10 (permalink)
wittykitty

Red face licking

Dogs are known for licking to show affection. It's not something we usually associate with cats. My cat only licked me during a certain period of my life. You're going to lose your breath laughing over this one: I was in the era of breastfeeding my baby. I never let the cat near my skin of course, but he would cuddle up to me when he got the chance and lick my sweater in a certain area, you know. I guess it was the aroma of the milk, but I never heard anyone else tell this. I didn't let it happen as a habit because it was really embarassing and weird, but it seems funny, I know.

Tags
art , baby , beautiful , cat , claws , cleaning , dogs , fast , fixed , food , fun , funny , happy , healthy , hey , house , interesting , kittens , kitties , kitty , licking , male , night , pet , scratch , sleeping , water , weaning , weird , worry

Sponsored Cat Links