It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2007   #1 (permalink)
Rocky

Default My Cat Is Depressed

Two months ago my fiance and I moved to a new place so he could get a better job. I had been sick for a while and could no longer work so thats why we had to move.

Our old house we used to rent was on a quiet river and Rocky loved it! He had mice to chase and a whole world to explore. Now we are on a fairly busy road in a unit and everytime Rocky goes outside he gets in a fight with the cat next door. Hes reluctant to go out now unless I go with him and he looks so sad!

It breaks my heart so now Im looking for a new place to move to so hes happy.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-09-2007   #2 (permalink)
stormy

Oh..if you live by a road, please don't let him out!!! Maybe time to introduce a kitten into his life..that should really confuse him!!! Just what you need, 2 cats!!!But you never know.....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-09-2007   #3 (permalink)
aja3171

Aww, I feel bad for your cat. I agree with Stormy's suggestion. How about getting a new cat so that he can have someone to play with. It's really hard to be alone and not just for humans. And your finding a new place could be a good idea too. I hope all of you would be happy.

Unread 01-09-2007   #4 (permalink)
Rocky

Oh hes terrified of cars so he wont go anywhere near the road. And Im home with him all day so hes not lonely he just feels trapped cos those mean other cats pick on him and he cant go outside

Another kitten? Maybe when we have a bigger place and after ALOT of convincing my fiance lol

Unread 01-09-2007   #5 (permalink)
Leneyloo

I had almost the exact experience when I moved from a back country road with no neighbors for a mile in any direction to the inner city (though I NEVER let him out after we moved...to dangerous and we weren't on the 1st floor)....my little guy was REALLY depressed and started lashing out - and I have the scars to prove it. My hubby & I decided to get him a little girl friend from the shelter. If you already have a grown male you should get a young female so they don't fight over turf. They've learned to get along great, and having her around really perked him up. He's completely stopped biting, and lost all his extra weight. They're wonderful when they cuddle together - makes me so happy

Unread 01-10-2007   #6 (permalink)
Catrancher99

I agree with the need for a household to have at least 2 cats. I've tried to do a lot of research on cats, and many authorities urge people to have fellow-species companions. In my personal experience, also, when cats have fellows they can expend a lot of pent-up energy. I live in rainy Oregon and don't allow my herd out for days at a time, so they turn to each other for entertainment that I can't provide (I do not encourage my kids to "wrestle" with my hands). I have 8 little beasties and they all get along fine - usually. I know a huge herd isn't right for everyone, but I do encourage you to get Rocky a pal.

Unread 01-10-2007   #7 (permalink)
Leneyloo

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrancher99 View Post
I have 8 little beasties and they all get along fine - usually. I know a huge herd isn't right for everyone, but I do encourage you to get Rocky a pal.

8! OH MY! You win the kitty-lover PRIZE! Ages/genders/breeds? How did you introduce so many peacefully?!?

Unread 01-10-2007   #8 (permalink)
Rocky

8???

My fiance would kill me if I got that many lol. He already complains that Rocky gets more attention than him.

I would love a new kitten.. Im going to take all your advice and get another one when I move into a bigger place!

Unread 01-11-2007   #9 (permalink)
Leneyloo

In the mean time, get some cheap kitty toys - the best one in my opinion is a lazer light, the pointer kinds used for presentations is the best. Turn out the light and let it sit on the floor w/ small movements until the little guy pounces & then find a new spot. My cats go NUTS for that! Part of the problem is the little guy is probably bored!

Unread 01-11-2007   #10 (permalink)
Rocky

He has got that many toys it ridiculous and had never even touched them.

He likes it when I play 'hide around the corner' though. I will hide and peek my head around the corner and then quickly hide again and he creeps up on me and jumps around the corner.

A few times though we have both jumped around the corner at the same time and scared each other to death lol.

Tags
advice , another cat , aww , babies , biting , breeds , cat , cat toys , cats , depressed , female , fight , girl , great , happy , hey , home , house , kitten , kitty , lost , love , male , moments , new cat , new kitten , opinion , play , playing , prize , problem , sad , scared , shelter , sick , small , toys , weight

Sponsored Cat Links