It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2007   #1 (permalink)
jkg

Default Natural behavior of cats and dogs or other

species--fault of the owners? Just read an article about a family who lost one of three cats (they live in the country) to an attack by a German Shepard dog. I love dogs and cats, but I believe this is a natural behavior between two species. The cat owners are trying to prosecute the owners of the German Shepard. What is your opinion?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-30-2007   #2 (permalink)
crookshanks

Default Natural behavior sometimes needs to be reined in and controlled.

I would say that if the dog was wandering loose and off its own property, they MIGHT be able to make a case. If however the cat wandered onto their property and the dog was tied or enclosed in a yard, I don't think they would have a case. Some neighbors of mine had a new kitten. The other neighbors had a large breed hunting dog of some sort. The parking lot was common to us all and my friend had her cat out playing in a grassy area near the lot. The other neighbor was returning from walking his dog. Before he had time to react the dog pulled away from him and attacked the kitten, devouring its head in one bite.

Dogs and cats can learn to be friends over a period of time, but if they are mishandled by their owners and, additionally, allowed to stray even accidentally, they may easily revert to natural enemy behavior.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
attack , behavior , bite , breed , cat , cats , dog , dogs , family , friends , hey , kitten , lost , love , natural , new kitten , opinion , playing , stray

Sponsored Cat Links