It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-30-2007   #1 (permalink)
conga_rich

Default Do you cage a cat for behavior

modifications? The cat literally runs from one side of the room to the other. He claws at things while I'm trying to sleep. I bought a cage for him when he broke his leg and he was healing from that. I've been putting him in there when he gets too hyper. He calms down for a little while, but then he's right back to running around like a madman. Suggestions??

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-30-2007   #2 (permalink)
crookshanks

If your cat is calmer in the cage, quiet, and not having some kind of fit to go out, I would leave her in the cage at night. Try it at least for a while. Then maybe you can get some rest. After a while, if she is asleep in the cage, try opening the door and leaving it open after she goes to sleep. If you still have a problem after all this, ask your vet.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-30-2007   #3 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Wow, feline behavior is a really big area, especially for modification of it. Some breeds of cats, most notably Siamese and Balinese, are renowned for their high energy and restlessness. My Deja Vu, a non-pedigree Balinese (just in case you don't know, a Balinese is a long-haired Siamese) roams the house a lot at night and yowls for another cat to come play with her, she won't sit still for petting, she has to be looping back and forth or twisting around on the bed. She's got to be in motion when awake, it seems. In your case, if your kitty is not typically one wired-up goose, I'd check with a vet to determine if she has a hidden physical problem and if not maybe the vet could suggest some course of action. Otherwise, try exhausting the little beastie during the day so it begins to sleep at night. I've heard a lot of complaints about such behavior because cats are generally nocturnal, so you may be up against a million years of Nature.

Unread 02-01-2007   #4 (permalink)
Mithrandir_black

Thats what cats do. I've locked mine in the bathroom when she's being really bad, she'll stay calm for about an hour after that. If he is young its a stage and he'll get over it. Try picking him up and petting him for a while, should get him sleepy. Good luck!

Unread 02-01-2007   #5 (permalink)
Katie

You can cage him occasionally but I don't think that isn't going to help anything that i know of. It might calm him down temporarily but that won't last too long, as soon as he is out and about again he will get hyper again. Also, kitties can be very vindictive. If you cage him during the night to sleep, the next day they could be evil to you. Is there a room that you can put him in and shut the door. So he has food, water, and play toys that he can have the run of one room and won't bother you at all? If you do, I would use that.If you need any more advice you can e-mail me and i will try to help you kailynn_sw@yahoo.com . I have four cats and know how much of a handful they are at times.

Unread 02-05-2007   #6 (permalink)
CF_

cats do not respond to being punished you need to play with your cat more before bed time - give him lots of toys in the day when you are not home - honeysuckle toys, cat nip toys, bell toys.. then hide them at night and give different toys the next day.. and so on....does he have cat tower?? taht would be good tooocaging a cat for being a cat is cruel and he wont understand

Unread 02-17-2007   #7 (permalink)
ptnfl

Default Most cats are active at night.

I agree with CF, cats do not repond well to punishment and locking your cat up at night is punishment. Cats are more active at night by nature. Your cat needs to expend the energy when he wants to (which isn't necessarily when you want him to). Do you enough toys for him? Possibly if you would play with him for about 10 minutes before bedtime it may tire him out to where he might want to sleep.
I have 4 cats and we hardly ever have a full night of peace. There's usually at least one (sometimes two because they like to play cat and mouse) running the entire house at night.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Unread 03-24-2007   #8 (permalink)
ExCal

I have never tried to discipline my cat. But I really have never had a reason to do so. Although my kitten has been acting a little agressive lately, so I might try out some of these tips.

Unread 03-25-2007   #9 (permalink)
SuzyQII

Hello. I agree with everyone! When my kitties get crazy at night, I either live with it for the short period it is (like ptnfl said - hardly a night without interuptions) OR I kick them all out of the bedroom and close my door. Of course then there is always the paw under the door pulling technique they do that is more annoying than anything and VERY loud! Another problem with caging a cat is access to the litter box, food, and water. The vindictive part I see too, although all pet experts say that cats and dogs only live in the present - I am not so sure!

Unread 03-26-2007   #10 (permalink)
LucyBell's mom

I set up a kinda game for my kitty at night. I have a long dresser in my room that I put small toys, pens, and other small objects my cat likes to play with along the edge. I set this up at night and if i'm going to be gone for several hours. She hops up there and knocks everything to the floor. I also put some dry cat food up there too. it seams to keep her content at night. I also sprinkel cat food around the room for her to find.

Tags
advice , age , agressive , another cat , balinese , behavior , box , breeds , calm , cat , cat needs , cat nip , cats , claws , crazy , food , game , hey , home , house , hyper , kitties , kitty , mouse , night , pet , play , present , problem , siamese , sleep , small , suggestions , toys , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links