It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-26-2007   #1 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Question Drooling Cats

Usually, I associate drooling with dogs, but I have 3 cats that drool when I pet them, Elvis, Dancer and Chloe (the newest rescue). Dancer and Chloe won't be still when being petted, but Elvis is a very calm kitty and will sit on my lap facing me so that I can see the little droplets form up at the tips of his fangs. It's fascinating to watch the droplets grow as he squints his eyes in pleasure, purring all the while. Of the 3 Chloe is the worst. She has an enormous bib and it and my hands are sopping wet after a good petting session. Are my cats just unusually weird or do others of you have similar ones? Why do you think thay do this?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-26-2007   #2 (permalink)
wendywenpet

Be careful Cat!! The drooling could mean a dental problem. But I do know what you mean ... whilst Egor is on my shoulder she does drool. And I know from personal experience.... I drool too when I am sleeping. Does that mean I am happy?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-26-2007   #3 (permalink)
wendywenpet

Also.... the last visit to the vet with Egor... she had a plaque build up on one of her teeth. And I know I have to see a dentist too!! Yikes!!! To both of us!

Unread 02-26-2007   #4 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Wow, you know the dental problem could be right about Dancer & Chloe. But Elvis isn't even a year old yet and his teeth are so white they gleam. I guess I'd better have that angle checked out soonly. Thanks.

Unread 02-26-2007   #5 (permalink)
wendywenpet

My vet saw Egor's tooth and said it could cost between 500.00 to 1,000.00 $$$ Lots of money!! I have insurance and I don't even want to go to a dentist!

Funny though, I have never brought any of my cats for dental work!!

Unread 02-26-2007   #6 (permalink)
Catrancher99

Well, I hope you're happy when you drool in your sleep, 'cause then I must be happy too LOL. I tried to look at Elvis' teeth but being black his gums are dark and I couldn't see any inflammation. Dancer is very skittish and won't let me inspect his mouth. Chloe is so new I'm not sure how she'd react to me prying her lips back, although she let me snip furballs off her chest the other day (the people who abandoned her obviously never groomed her). I have had my cats teeth cleaned before, and the cost can be staggering. My finances are in a deplorable state right now, so that'll have to wait - aside from my 9 kitties I inherited the responsibility for a disabled and increasingly senile mother. Sheesh...they say no good deed goes unpunished. I guess so LOL!!

Unread 02-26-2007   #7 (permalink)
wendywenpet

Cat... life always throws us challenges. I know I would rather starve than see my babies suffer. At this time Egor doesn't seem to be worse for wear! I was told that if the tooth is bad it will fall out. The only thing I have to watch for if there is an infection. I make sure she has enough crunchy food (although that may help a bit). I am keeping a watchful eye on her. She is due to go to the vet this spring for her annual check up and rabies shot. I still haven't decided if I will bring her to the cottage this year.

Unread 02-26-2007   #8 (permalink)
ChristineP

My cats drool when they are being petted. That usually means they are happy and content. If they are drooling any other time, that maybe a sign of a problem.

Unread 02-26-2007   #9 (permalink)
Catrancher99

ChristineP, that's what I'm hoping, is that it's just a pleasure response, maybe due to the release of endorphins. Hey - I may be getting my cats high! Wow. like thaaaat's waaaaay cooool, maaaan....

Unread 03-02-2007   #10 (permalink)
LucyBell's mom

My last cat Chelsea always drooled when she was in the car. She hated car rides. She also drooled when she was around any chemicals. When ever she got fleas we had to brush them out with a flea comb, she couldn't any chemicals.

You guys do know that you can brush you cat's teeth. they make little finger brushes for them and flavored tooth paste. feeding you kitty hard food to help keep their teeth clean is a myth.

Everyone who has a cat should read these articals

Little Big Cat

Get The Facts - What’s Really in Pet Food

Tags
age , babies , bat , black , calm , car , care , cat , cat's , cats , clean , dogs , dry , eye , eyes , facts , fire , fleas , food , great , happy , hey , infection , kitties , kitty , money , pet , pet food , problem , rabies , rescue , sleep , sleeping , tips , vet , weird

Sponsored Cat Links