It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2007   #1 (permalink)
seriously2sweet4u

Default What is the cause of this cat behavior and how may I correct it?

My 20 month old cat has started some new behaviors. Whenever he can tell that you're about to go out the door he gets in front of you and makes it almost impossible for you to get out without him bolting out, it's even worse when you're coming home and trying to get inside. He's scratch at the door and cry really loud at it as well, wanting to get out. ( He normally isn't a talker or cryer.) He used to like windows but now he's obsessed with ALWAYS sitting and wathcing. This is all NEW behavior within the last couple of weeks, what could be causing it and how may I correct it? He's an INDOOR only cat and we live in an apartment complex and need to keep it that way. I don't understand where his urge is coming from, we have two other cats and they've never and still are not demonstrating behavior like this.He does not miss us because he does it while we're home and he is neutured.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-30-2007   #2 (permalink)
Wazuuuuup

Kill it with a silver bullet!!! it's possessed!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-30-2007   #3 (permalink)
danl747

Is he trying to escape or is he trying to block you from going out the door? The escape urge is probably just natural curiosity. He's seen the apartment and now wants to see the world beyond. Somehow, what you describe sounds more like he misses you when you are gone. He knows the signs of you leaving so he trys to prevent that. And when you return he's excited so he greats you at the door. I have one like that myself. He sometimes trys to get out but for the most part it's either "DON'T GO" or "I'm happy you are back."

Unread 03-30-2007   #4 (permalink)
JeepJeep!!!

He is a cat & birds are singing & calling to him to explore. He wants to go outside & be a cat. It is a natural urge.

Unread 03-30-2007   #5 (permalink)
SweetPea

Maybe there is a cat in heat in the vicinity. A male cat will do whatever it takes to have "sexytime" with a female.

Unread 03-30-2007   #6 (permalink)
cpenrod19

Is he neutered? If not, this could be your problem.This is the time of year when female cats tend to go into heat, and your male cat will be able to smell them and want to get at them.I would highly advise towards fixing him. This would remove the desire to go after the female cats, and will also stop him from spraying your house with his "scent" in an attempt to attract females and mark territory. Not to mention it almost completely decreases his risk of getting testicular cancer later in life.

Unread 03-30-2007   #7 (permalink)
Shanna T

First, if he isn't spayed, get him spayed. Not only will it decrease his urge to wander, it will also decrease his urge to mate which can be very bad.. One male cat can impregnante MANY female strays, which can also give him Feline Leukemia if he mates with an infected female. (I'm not trying to scare you, it's just a good idea!)Then, make sure he knows that going outside is bad. When you see a cat doing an undesirable behavior, squirt him with water or make a loud noise so that he will associate going outside with those things.

Unread 03-30-2007   #8 (permalink)
bridgejerk

My response is a bit out-of-the-box, but it sounds like your cat is a bit obsessive about getting out, even for an indoor cat:Out of curiosity, has he been fixed? If not, he may be smelling (perhaps more than one) girl kitty in heat, and that's likely driving his urge to get out. If he hasn't been fixed, he needs to be immediately: his behavior will only worsen over time (including much more undesirable things like spraying).If he has been fixed, and other behavior modification suggestions don't work, consider the possibility that his neutering wasn't quite complete (occasionally a rescinded testicle misses the vet's knife). Get him checked by a second vet to see if this might have happened.If he was recently fixed (~3mo), he still may have some residual testosterone in his body, and the problems with your cat should clear by themselves with a little more time.Good luck, work hard, and stay away from drugs.

Unread 03-30-2007   #9 (permalink)
kanniece

cats are natural predators he has watched the excitement outside from a window now he wants to explore, some cats are not happy with being inside all the time it depends on the cats personality. sounds like his urge to go outside is very strong, he sits and watches all the activities thats is going on outside and just wants to fulfill his natural instincts and that is to hunt and prowl around, perhaps if you keep a water bottle by the door a give him a spray when he trys to escape then maybe he would see that the outside is not as good as it looks to him. GOOD LUCK

Unread 03-30-2007   #10 (permalink)
redflag

It sounds like the sex drive is high, and spring fever is here. If he hasn't had his operation, please consider it. They will do anything to get outside to meet other cats if they are sexually aroused.If that's not it, then it is likely just the attraction to Spring itself -- the growing of the grass, the birds, nicer weather, etc. Most cats are quite content to be indoors but some of them love to run out at any chance. Much the same if a person lives in an apartment building -- a cat will often pounce at the chance to escape into the main hallway because they love to roam and explore.

Tags
apartment , behavior , birds , box , cat , cat behavior , cat in heat , cats , female , fever , fixed , girl , happy , heat , hey , home , house , in heat , indoor , kitty , love , male , mat , natural , neutering , person , personality , problem , problems , scratch , sex , smell , spayed , stop , strays , suggestions , vet , water , window

Sponsored Cat Links