It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-31-2007   #1 (permalink)
donna

Default My cat's behavior..?

Okay, my kitten is now a year old. His name is Alex. He's one of those cats who get into EVERYTHING you don't want him to get into. He climbs the curtains, terrorizes my grandmother, and just loves to bat at the poor dog. But the thing is I have noticed that he seems to always want to come into my room with me at night and early in the morning. Why does he do this? And he purrs alot when he is around me. My friend told me all cats choose their owners, just like we choose them. Is that true? Did he pick me as his human? And will my cat ever calm down? How can I get him to stop trying to get at my fish?He has been fixed and he is an indoor cat. My parents refuse to let him become an outdoor cat. As much as he loves to hunt...Its not that we don't get along, I love my cat to death, but it's kinda hard to leave the house in the morning because im worried that my genious cat will get in the tank and get my fish, George. Plus its hard because my mom yells at me for what MY cat does...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-31-2007   #2 (permalink)
mother_amethyst

You call Alex "he". The first thing that leaps to mind is, has he been neutered? If not, that will take care of a lot of his wild behavior. Second, does he go outside? Some cats really need to run and hunt and they can get hyper and mean when they can't be outside. If neither of these things are the problem, it may just be that he's still young. If he's a year old he should settle down into a nice mellow tomcat within 6-12 months. Good luck!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-31-2007   #3 (permalink)
Sewer Gas

What exactly is the problem? You have a perfectly normal, well adjusted, one year old cat that loves you....Did you think you were getting a hamster? It's still a kitten it will calm down in a few years...maybe...some...perhaps...

Unread 03-31-2007   #4 (permalink)
girlz4God

cats never stop trying to eat fish, it's their instinct, give t hem a break! anyways, your friend was right! all cats have a person. if your cat is crazy, it's likely that he is feeling lonely and wants attention.-girlz4God

Unread 03-31-2007   #5 (permalink)
Erika B

I have a female that everyone calls "Psycho." She was too smart for her own good as well and got into everything. Mauled two vets and several vet techs. Was actually kicked out of one vet's office. She was mean to everyone else but me and was overly aggressive until I got her a playmate. Getting another cat did wonders. She still isn't a people kitty but she's much better than she was. Since I had her first, I got a much younger male as her companion. They have both been fixed and it took a few months before they began to get along. Now, they are inseparable and happy. Even when they 'argue' they seem to be having fun.

Unread 03-31-2007   #6 (permalink)
hunnyhunny

LOL...he must've been the runt of the litter huh? yea i have 3 adult cats and 4 kittens and the thing that i've learned is first of all you gotta understand that cats are very curious creatures and they get into anything and everything because they get very bored easily just imagine you doing the same thing every minute of the day...that would make you go crazy...they also require alot of attention just like real babies and they want you to play with them especially if they don't have a playmate (for example another cat) to keep them company when you're not around...I would suggest you getting him alot of toys to play with like soft toys with catnip in them (they love that) or a pole with feathers at the end...also a cat gym that they can run in and hide would be good for him (my cats love that) or a second cat would be ideal for himTo answer your second question "he seems to always want to come into my room with me at night and early in the morning. Why does he do this? And he purrs alot when he is around me."........they do this because like i said they require alot of attention and they also enjoy your company as you do theirs...the reason he purrs is because he is because he is in a state of comfort and when he purrs he may also knaw(when they expose their nails and start poking their paws) at you or a pillow etc... that is because he is feeling comfort and you should strach him (which also calms their nerves and relaxes them, and releases stress) preferably by the butt area(on his back above the tail and his cheeks on his face and neck) they love it because there are some area they cannot reach to scratch themselves (their back for example) so it feels good when you pet them...when you pet him he may also lift his butt up which is another sign of comfort and he is telling you thats the spot ... lol... so don't get freaked out when he does this...lol...hope i've helpedGOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Tags
aggressive , another cat , bat , behavior , calm , care , cat , cat's , cats , crazy , dog , female , fish , fixed , fun , hey , house , hyper , indoor , kitten , kitty , morning , nice , night , outdoor , person , play , problem , runt , smart , stop , stress , wild

Sponsored Cat Links