It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-03-2007   #1 (permalink)
rdheadstpchld

Default I am having behavior problems with my cat. Help?!?

My adopted cat, Max, was attacked by 3 dogs 2 and a half weeks ago. He was traumatized and no longer had any desire to go outside..understandable....I could tell he wasn't himself. But, he wouldn't let anyone close enough to really check him over, but there was no blood. I watched him very closely for about a week (even taking him to work with me). The 2nd day I left him alone I came home and he had an open hole at the base of his tail and I could see the bones in his tail. We took him to the vet the following day and he got stitches ( and the vet spayed Max as well. Well he has been so good...until last nite. He is getting aggressive with me. He usually lets me love on him, but all of the sudden he reached up to bite and scratch me. I was shocked..he has NEVER done that! Then today he did it again, I popped him slightly, but his eyes are wild looking! Like his pupils are just all black, like he is high on catnip or something? ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-03-2007   #2 (permalink)
faoi shà ocháin

withdrawl from pain meds?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-03-2007   #3 (permalink)
heart_pendent

You should take him back to the vet immediately! Sounds like he might have distemper. But I'm not a vet so don't take my word for it, if I were I would take him as soon as possible though.

Unread 04-03-2007   #4 (permalink)
Jimbo

Poor kitty! He's been through hell. I'd ask the vet if these are symptoms of a disease he got from the dogs. If not, you'll have to be very gentle with him and be careful how you approach him. With time, he will likely mellow out and learn to trust you again.If not, I hate to say it, but you may have to resort to using a squirt gun to modify his behavior. I know it seems cruel after all he's been through, but I have had 100% success with this method. I got my cat to stop scratching the furniture and spraying in the garage.

Unread 04-03-2007   #5 (permalink)
Cara

He may still be in pain. when animals are hurt and or scared they act like that. i'm sure if you give him his space while he's on the mend he will calm down. He was attacked by a dof then dragged of to a vet for further pain a7 fear *as he sees it* Maybe the vet can give him something for pain. other than that like I said, give him some space the poor thing almost had this stuff bit off by a dog, then it got chopped off by a vet! I'm sure he's not thrilled with all that!

Unread 04-03-2007   #6 (permalink)
bobobecks

Animals act out in response to physical threat or discomfort more so then emotional... Yes he could be a little jumpy because of all the change and uncertainty he's experienced recently: the attack, the visit to the vet... these things may have damaged his sense of security... but he'll get over that and so that isn't what you need to worry about... you should take him to the vet to rule out any physical pain he might be experiencing which could be a sign of illness or further complication from his attack... It doesn't mean its serious, he may just be sore... It will ease your mind... better safe then sorry...

Unread 05-08-2007   #7 (permalink)
Lila42

It sounds like pain to me. I have had cats all my life and the only time they get aggressive like that is from pain. Poor kitty. I had a cat mauled by dogs before. That's why my cats are forever more indoor animals. Please let us know how this turns out.

Unread 05-10-2007   #8 (permalink)
sherri

Default yes sounds like pain

just don't try to pick him up for awhile...give him treats for good behavior, and let him come back to you..after a little time, he will come back to wanting love, be patient with him, get an interactive toy, like a wand, see if you can get him to play, and the treats...don't pop him, someone else reccommended the water bottle, it does work..popping, will only make his fear worse, and you don't want that...just keep trying with the toys, and treats, he will come around...keep us posted on this, i hope he recovers from the fear, and pain...

Unread 12-16-2016   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

wolfheart is on a distinguished road
Default traumatized.

Probably your cat has been injured and the best thing you should do is take him to a vet for check. I hope that everything will be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolfheart For This Useful Post:

Tags
adopted , advice , aggressive , attack , behavior , bite , black , calm , cat , catnip , cats , color , dog , dogs , eyes , fur , furniture , hey , home , hurt , indoor , kitty , love , play , problems , scared , scratch , scratching , spayed , stitches , stop , toys , vet , water , wild , worry

Sponsored Cat Links