It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Behavior
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-12-2007   #1 (permalink)
clmh

Default New foster dog aggressive toward cat......can this behavior be corrected?

My new terrier mix foster dog barks and charges toward my cat. I know terriers have a strong prey instinct so I'm wondering what the best way is to handle this. I'm sure he would do harm if my cat didn't have claws. I have been keeping them separated but sometimes they have crossed paths by accident. What is the best way to handle this problem? Does anyone know if a dog with strong prey insinct can be trained to not attack cats? He is fine with people and other dogs.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-12-2007   #2 (permalink)
indronil s

You can take your dog to a dog trainer and he can help you out from this problem.you can make some search on yahoo or google to find someone in your locality who can help you.To know more you can visithttp://lovingdog.blogspot.com

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-12-2007   #3 (permalink)
buritsutani_s

Yes. This can be fixed. Go to the closest book store or Wal-mart and get a copy of Cesar Melan's book. This is one of the best things you can do for your foster dog, big or small, We keep the peace with 4 large breed dogs, one of which has extreme jealousy problems.

Unread 04-12-2007   #4 (permalink)
jst2funlvn

I also had a foster who did this. We tried numerous different things but she had to be moved to another foster as she did get a hold of, and bite two of my cats. Keeping them separated only works sometimes and in the meantime you risk alienating your resident animals. Please be very careful. This dog may have lived outside and does not know the difference between small furry outside animals and cats. You cannot really blame them for that but at the same time you are the only one who can protect your cats. If the cats get to upset about it you may see peeing on the floor or furniture as well. This signals the can are stressing about the new animal and are scared and nervous. I know this is not what you want to hear but I thought I would share my experiences with the same thing. Good luck.

Unread 04-12-2007   #5 (permalink)
Patty-kins

All dogs hate cat's I for one cant figure it out and I'm not going to try, the thing is you said Foster dog, If this dog isn't your dog then more than likely it will never outgrow this behavior. but then if the dog becomes yours sometimes it does out grow the behavior with time and lots of patience on your part. The reason I said not your is,you have to be patient with both animals, you can't understand their lingual can you, the cat may not like the dog either its a two way streak, isn't it.So patience- patience- patience, if the dog gets used to the cat, then sometimes it will make the adjustments, but you really have to have them around each other alot to find out, plus be close in case you have to tear them apart. dogs and cats remind of kids playing in the playground, if two girls are playing together and another girl walks up and wants to play to, well, Then that little girl has to be especially good at playing to suit their fancy, do you understand what I'm getting at. some animals have that built in love that they can accept anything thrown at them, then there's some that won't permit anything new.

Unread 04-12-2007   #6 (permalink)
Feed♥Me♥Seymour

Absolutely! Any dog can be trained not to attack cats. The first thing is to establish who the dominant pack leader is. That would be you. To help you a little with that, or at least get you started, here's a link to the Dog Whisperer, website. Cesar Milan has a book out also. It's called Cesar's Way and it's great. Anyway, there's also some free information on the site.http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/Click on Cesar's Tips. Good luck.

Unread 04-12-2007   #7 (permalink)
pets4lifelady

It may not end up being a real problem but any new addition to a pet household has to be worked into the family. We never just put a new comer into a pen or home with other animals and hope for the best. Takes more one on one guidance on your part. We have had very few cat agressive dogs, ones that really wanted to kill the cat or other small furry critter. Cats usually set the ground rules in the home and are capable of getting up and to safety on their own.I don't know of any real doggie training for this. What you need to do is leash the dog, for better control, and aquaint it with your home, contents and cats in a calm and ongoing manner. Observe the dog, on leash, with cats in the room. Is this a curious and normal bark? Is it chasing cat while growling and snarling/ or just barking? All dogs will chase a moving target, mostly in play.Right now I have one of my pack sleeping on bed next to our cat. But if the cat heads out the front door the dog will take off to chase her. And she loves it! They have played the "catch me if you can" game for years now. The dog got her nose scratched years ago and has never really tried to catch the cat since. Animals co exist better with less interference once the new comer has been shown the limits. The cat normally does this!But you must be cautious and observant for awhile. If the dog reacts to cat badly you must use a verbal warning to let the dog know its limits. Leash and restrain near you and have a talk. They do understand. It may not be anything but a dog doing what they do best--chase moving things. You have to get down with cats and dog and play and interact among them. Do not assume the dog sees "prey" in the cat. If the cats have been around other dogs it helps a lot. It is no different than kids playing with other kids and the adult has to supervise the play and take control if any kid is acting badly.It may take a few weeks or so for the newness to wear off. The cats to set the rules. And the terrier mix to learn what is allowed. When a person fosters a dog for us they do so to learn more about the dog;s behaviour and clues to bad situations in the past. To work with the dog on leash, housetrain and work through behaviour issues, instill trust of humans and end up with a more adoptable dog. All of this takes time, patience and consistancy.

Tags
addition , adult , aggressive , agressive , attack , behavior , behaviour , bite , book , breed , calm , cat , cat's , cats , claws , dog , dogs , fixed , foster , free , furniture , game , great , growling , hey , home , love , moving , nervous , nose , peeing , person , pet , play , playing , problem , problems , scared , search , sleeping , small , tips , training , upset

Sponsored Cat Links