It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-16-2007   #1 (permalink)
Brandi

Default Will my cats change behavior if I get a new kitten?

Just curious what you think and what your experiences have been. I have 2 great friendly cats, but will their personality change?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-16-2007   #2 (permalink)
Christa D

usually cats are very territorial and when theirs a new kitty in the house they become very jealous.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-16-2007   #3 (permalink)
Lycramosa

they might if they don't like the new kitten. if they don't like it, they can kill the kitten or hurt it.you should let all your cats meet the kitten before you get it just be be sure they are fine with it. Plus it depends if your cats are boys or girls and if they are spayed/neutered if you have a boy cat that isn't neutered and the kitten is a boy (neutered or not) your boy cat will most likely try to kill the kitten (if its a boy too)

Unread 04-16-2007   #4 (permalink)
Tati D.

No I dont think that their behavior will change. All the cats would probably do is sniff the cat to check it. But then again they like to protect their territory sometimes like dogs.

Unread 04-16-2007   #5 (permalink)
♥Drama Queen♥

well if their older than 6 months even if their friendly, their mood will change and never get used to the new animal. get new animals while their young.

Unread 04-17-2007   #6 (permalink)
Victoria S

Depends on the cats and it is pretty impossible to predict. Are you two current cats litter mates and have they always been together, or did you get them at different times. If they are litter mates, they are more likely to experience some changes. I have five cats, all strays or abandons that I have taken in over a span of seven years. The first one who came to my door has never EVER gotten along with any of the other four and must be kept separated from them except when fully supervised. The other four get along fairly well, with some it took weeks, with one it took about five minutes (he just loves everybody!). Introduce them slowly and carefully. Keeping them separated for the first few weeks is said to be best, letting them sniff each other under the door. Then switch rooms, letting the two residents into the room you had the new baby and vice versa, again to get acquainted with the new scent. Hold each cat and let them smell all the cats scents on you. Then, holding the new baby, let them see each other; don't put the new one down until you see how they react. Of course, on #5 in my home, I had no choice but to just add him in and it went very well; but I did not leave them all out together unless I was home for quite a while. Good luck, it can be a challenge.

Unread 04-17-2007   #7 (permalink)
Michelle

More than likely, yes. Your older cats rule the house and will not be happy about a newcomer. That's not to say that over time it will work out. It might not though either. I had one cat for 6 yrs and then brought another cat into the house (not a kitten) and while the new cat adored the older one, my older one to the day she died never did like the other one. They tolerated each other and it was good for company for each other (as I did catch them 2 or 3 times sleeping next to each other) just because there was another presence in the house. If you do introduce a new kitten, just make sure to not ignore your older cats and let the new kitten in on what is their territory. Keep the kitten secluded for a few days and let the your cats and the kitten get familiar via a door. You may want to spend some extra time at home during this time too. Maybe play with the cats/kitten via the door (you be on each side of the door at different times) and try to get some play going. Good luck!

Unread 04-20-2007   #8 (permalink)
snazzy-chloe

It is very possible for there behaviour to change, cats are very territorial but once they get used to it it should be fine, i had my oldest cat for about 1 year and a half and i brought twinkles as a kittenhome, ginger didnt like it one but he hissed at it ginger wouldnt let twinkles touch the food and ginger is very territorial when it comes to other cats. i just let twinkleshave its own room for a few days and brought her out to see ginger and kept on increasing it and then about 4 weeks into it i found ginger and twinkles sleeping together, they eventually get used to it

Tags
animal , another cat , baby , behavior , behaviour , cats , dogs , food , found , friendly , great , happy , hey , home , house , hurt , kitten , kitty , litter , new cat , new kitten , personality , play , sleeping , smell , spayed , strays , territorial

Sponsored Cat Links