It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-23-2007   #1 (permalink)
Erica

Default Cats' bad behavior?

As a long time cat owner, I am facing two difficult issues that I cannot seem to resolve.How do I keep my cats off the counter, when I'm not home?How do I prevent my cats from clawing at a screen and getting outside? As someone who rents it gets tiring having to explained to the landlord why the screens and shades in the windows are ripped. This weekend I am moving into a new apartment and there is a propane stove. I'm concerned they are going to get their tails in the pilot light and cause a fire.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-23-2007   #2 (permalink)
josh g

knock em upside the head a couple of times theyll learn

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-23-2007   #3 (permalink)
Edward

It sounds like you need something like the Tattle Tale.From Drs Foster and Smith website: Many cat behaviors that you dislike are natural, instinctual behaviors for a cat. These include scratching, marking, jumping on counters, and digging. Not only are these undesirable behaviors frustrating, they are also difficult behaviors to break. As hard as you might try to "catch your cat in the act" while you're home, without the help of training aids and devices, you probably have little control over what your cat does or where she goes while you're away.

Unread 04-23-2007   #4 (permalink)
sweetmoonwine

This does work.. fill a good squirt gun or spray bottle with some distance to it with vinegar and water.. cats HATE the smell of vinegar.. when they get on the counters.. squirt them.. when they climb on the screen squirt them..it is harmless to them, they hate the smell and they reallyy hate that shot of wet..The only thing worse than a cat on the kitchen counter is cat hair in your dinner lol..This also works for clawing on furniture..

Unread 04-23-2007   #5 (permalink)
michellebelle925

Spray them with water. I keep a spray bottle handy and when they get on or into things they're not supposed to, spray them with it. They stop the behavior immediately and there's no smelly chemicals or loud buzzers as there is with repellents. It make take some patience but IT WILL WORK. Give it about a month, maybe 2 if you have stubborn cats. I've always accompanied the spray with the words "get down" and now i can usually say it w/out the water. Once in awhile I have to reach for the bottle but usually just seeing it is enough to deter them. It also works with dogs.

Unread 04-26-2007   #6 (permalink)
Pearl

well as far as keepin them away from the counter or stove's concerned, may i suggest u close the door of ur kitchen when u go out.. the water trick will work effectively only wen ur around the house, but wen ur not around, ur cats would not think twice before doing it all over again they are intelligent and can work their way around....

Unread 05-08-2007   #7 (permalink)
Lila42

Pearl, that's a good idea, but many of us don't have doors to our kitchens. Today's homes are wide open not many doors except for bathroom and bedroom doors. I never heard of putting vinegar in the water.. I am going to try that.

Tags
apartment , bad behavior , behavior , cat , cats , clawing , dogs , fire , foster , fur , furniture , hey , home , homes , house , jumping , moving , natural , scratching , smell , stop , tale , training , water

Sponsored Cat Links