It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-30-2007   #1 (permalink)
Adrian

Default Sudden bout of strange behavior in my cat?

Our cat, Lola, is 11-12 months old. We've had her since she was 4 weeks old, she's fixed and has had all of her shots. She is normally pretty flighty and you have to be very still for her to approach you and be affectionate. She's also not very noisy, perhaps a few meows out of her every day. She's an indoor/outdoor cat, spending most of the day outside and coming in at night to sleep.Today, when we came home from work my wife noticed she was acting like she was scared or hurt. When I picked her up, she was stiff as a board instead of allowing me to cradle her as I always do. She has been meowing constantly and rubbing herself against us all evening. She will lay on the floor and kind of rock back and forth in a weird way, like she's trying to get up but can't, but after a few minutes will get up and move around. Obviously going to the vet is a possibility but I don't want to jump the gun. She doesn't react like she's in pain when we touch her. Anyone know what might be wrong?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-30-2007   #2 (permalink)
stormy

Maybe she is in 'heat'..unless you wany kittens, do not let her out !!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-01-2007   #3 (permalink)
Paul and Kelle A

She could be hurt, cats hide their pain very well as far as being able to pinpoint where she's hurt. And not knowing what could have happened since she is an outdoor cat and all, You sould take her to the vet to check her over and possibly do some X-rays to make sure everything is okay before it gets any worse. Always better to be safe than sorry.

Unread 05-01-2007   #4 (permalink)
greenrose1922

She may be in heat. It's about the right time of year for that. And she is outside for the day right? I'm not so sure about the stiffness though. Never saw a cat like that.

Unread 05-01-2007   #5 (permalink)
babydoll4579

There are many things that can happen to a cat outside. Maybe she got into a fight or was chased by a dog or other big animal and she's scared. One of my cats ran 80mph into a glass door when he was younger and now acts scared and skittish. It really could be anything. Also, what kind of food does she eat? Check to make sure it's not on the recall list (http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html).

Unread 05-01-2007   #6 (permalink)
rayngirl6

Sounds like a possible head injury...you would not be jumping the gun...get her in to an emergency vet asap...don't wait to go to a day vet, emergency will have better diagnostic equipment. Good luck, let us know what they found...

Unread 05-01-2007   #7 (permalink)
Silva G

I agree with the others - you really should go to a vet ASAP. Cats are notorious for hiding their painful symptoms, so even if it seems like she is not hurting, she might be. Because they are like this, it's especially important to take notice of odd behaviors and have them checked by a vet if they start acting strangely.I am a longtime cat owner and I definitely recommend going to the vet, ASAP!

Unread 05-07-2007   #8 (permalink)
Angelkiss

I have only just read this post... I was wondering how Lola is now? Did you take her to the vets?
I hope she is well.
Angelkiss x

Tags
affectionate , animal , art , behavior , cat , cats , color , dog , fight , fixed , food , found , heat , hey , hiding , home , hurt , in heat , indoor , indoor/outdoor , jumping , kittens , meowing , night , outdoor , scared , sleep , strange behavior , vet , weird

Sponsored Cat Links